Worth transferring out or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending a local SUNY here. I live near University at Buffalo, however will not be attending. The problem is many of you said it doesn't matter what undergraduate school you attend. In a recent forum, I posted the school I will be attending, and a member of sdn said avoid that school all costs as it is slightly above CC. So should I just do one year at Buffalo State College, and just transfer to University at Buffalo, a more prestigious school?

Members don't see this ad.

There isn't going to be any difference in the perceived prestige of either of the schools you have mentioned here. Just go to whichever one you like better.

Reactions: 1 user
Prestige wise I doubt it makes a difference. You've made like 17 threads on this already, so for you own piece of mind I would say you should transfer to University of Buffalo (since it is a better school with more resources).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Prestige wise I doubt it makes a difference. You've made like 17 threads on this already, so for you own piece of mind I would say you should transfer to University of Buffalo (since it is a better school with more resources).
Well... my ultimate goal is to have successful UG years at a college, that I'm positive I can get into medical school. When someone says avoid that school, it brings up a red flag, and when others say it makes no difference then I'm in the middle. Therefore after a year, I'm transferring out. So sorry for the 17 threads

Ok Buff State. That's how you'll always be known on SDNfor asking the same question over and over.

Oh really, thanks for having great observation skills.

How about you tell us exactly what you want us to say and we will go ahead and say it. Then you can relax, enjoy your freshman year, study hard and most importantly stop making these same threads.

Reactions: 2 users
You're talking about the difference between several relatively little known regional schools of relatively low competitiveness. The ONLY med school admissions officers who may know or care about the difference would be the ones in your region.

Call both of them and ask.

You may also want to call the 'Pre Med Advisor' for each of the colleges you are considering a ask them which medical schools they have the greatest success feeding to. Call those schools also.

SDN's resident expert on this matter, @efle , can provide you with additional information about the importance (or lack thereof) of prestige.

That being said, neither of those two schools would probably raise eyebrows with regard to prestige (as they are relatively unknown to most schools that are not in that region). Just go where you prefer (and/or whichever is cheaper).

I will be attending a local SUNY here. I live near University at Buffalo, however will not be attending. The problem is many of you said it doesn't matter what undergraduate school you attend. In a recent forum, I posted the school I will be attending, and a member of sdn said avoid that school all costs as it is slightly above CC. So should I just do one year at Buffalo State College, and just transfer to University at Buffalo, a more prestigious school?
Buffalo St. vs. U. Buffalo will not matter at all in terms of prestige.

If I were you, I'd go to Buff State. Why?

I googled the campus and it looked nice. That's literally how important this distinction is.

There's really nothing for me to contribute here as neither school is going to bring prestige/wow factor to private MD admissions imo...go to the school that's better in terms of price, location, campus, resources, etc

The only concrete data on this is from an AAMC survey of 127 medical school admissions where there was a stark difference in how schools perceived "presitge" of a undergraduate institution. Private medical schools find "selectivity of undergraduate institution" of high importance while public medical schools find this of low importance. However, that phrase "selectivity of undergraduate institution" is not defined, likely varies widely across medical schools, across adcom members and almost certainly out of the control of most applicants.

Can you link me to that survey by any chance?

This is an important decision you have to make and it seems as if the advice offered so far is not really clear. I recommend making another thread for more concrete advice.

Reactions: 4 users
This is an important decision you have to make and it seems as if the advice offered so far is not really clear. I recommend making another thread for more concrete advice.
:diebanana:

The only concrete data on this is from an AAMC survey of 127 medical school admissions where there was a stark difference in how schools perceived "presitge" of a undergraduate institution. Private medical schools find "selectivity of undergraduate institution" of high importance while public medical schools find this of low importance. However, that phrase "selectivity of undergraduate institution" is not defined, likely varies widely across medical schools, across adcom members and almost certainly out of the control of most applicants.

Makes sense, when you think about it --

Private universities like to think of themselves as being more selective and intellectually superior to public universities, so it's not surprising that medical schools affiliated with private universities would sip KoolAid from the same pitcher. (from appropriate cups)

Public universities like to think the whole 'private universities are better' school of thought is elitist B.S., so it's not surprising that public medical schools would show no bias against public school graduates.

Two sides of the same coin.

Last edited:
Makes sense, when you think about it --

Private universities like to think of themselves as being more selective and intellectually superior to public universities, so it's not surprising that medical schools affiliated with private universities would sip KoolAid from the same pitcher. (from appropriate cups)

Public universities like to think the whole 'private universities are better' school of thought is elitist B.S., so it's not surprising that public medical schools would show no bias against public school graduates.

Two sides of the same coin.
There's also the conflict with the stated goal of producing doctors from and for your state. If they decided to behave like private schools and favor Top 20ish grads they would be greatly shrinking the pool of instate apps of interest

I've made many.. the same people reply and saying it doesn't matter..

It really, really doesn't matter. Nobody is going to know anything about the relative rigors or prestige of those schools. Go where you will be happy and can be cheap

It matters in the sense that University of Buffalo has more resources overall, and sends more people to medical schools (it likely has a committee), and has more research labs - it is a better school overall. It doesn't matter in terms of prestige.

Last edited:
I dunno guys, I really think one of these schools has an enormous reputation advantage over the other...

lol no