Would a PhD with a low undergrad GPA like mine have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, now to this forum. Just would like to get some thoughts on if I would have a shot at dental schools.

So, I just became interested applying to dental school, after did my PhD developing dental materials... But anyways, here are my marks: (I did the calculations myself, I heard when ADEA does it, your GPA may actually become higher)

Undergrad GPA:
Overall GPA 2.374 Total Units Total Credit
Science (w/oBCP) 2.188 48.000 105.006
BCP 2.417 72.000 174.003
Non-science 4.333 3.000 12.999
BCP + Science 2.325

Grad GPA:
Overall GPA 3.815 Total Units Total Credit
Science (w/oBCP) 3.867 15.000 57.999
BCP 3.750 12.000 45.000
Non-science 0.000 0.000 0.000
BCP + Science 3.815

Total GPA:
Overall GPA 2.633 Total Units Total Credit
Science (w/oBCP) 2.587 63.000 163.005
BCP 2.607 84.000 219.003
Non-science 4.333 3.000 12.999
BCP + Science 2.599

I did research for dental implants/materials for my PhD, so I can get great references from my profs who are dentistry faculties; and I got lots of extra-curriculum. I will need to take one more 3.0 undergrad physiology and 6.0 of undergrad English for prerequisites, which should help my undergrad GPA a little bit. Btw, I'm a Canadian thinking of applying to American schools because the schools here will only look at your undergrad :s Also, I will have 5 or maybe 6 publications in total by the time I'm done my PhD, would I still have a shot?

Also, I'm thinking about start applying in June of 2015, what's the latest I would need to take my DAT?

Thanks so much for any help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your situation is semi unique. Contact your top school choices and here it from them directly . Most people on here will not know how admissions would handle a GPA like yours.

I personally know someone who was a non-minority, had a 2.5 GPA but was a college athlete and had professional accomplishments after college, a solid DAT score, and now attends UPenn.

Your situation is more than semi-unique, thumb the ADEA guide and you'll see that very few applicants are coming in with a PhD. It doesn't specify what those PhDs are in, and if you were to filter all applicants who's PhDs are non-dental related, the number would almost assuredly go down. Do well on your DAT and I think you'll have a great shot at getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, okay, awesome, thanks guys! I will definitely call them and see what they say.

Also, when should I write my DAT by the latest? In case I don't do well, there's a 3 months waiting period right?

Thanks again!

Click your dat whenever you feel prepared and your practice exam scores confirm that. There is indeed a 3 month period after your test where you can't retake. Good luck!

Okay awesome! Thank you so much!:)

Hey guys, now to this forum. Just would like to get some thoughts on if I would have a shot at dental schools.

So, I just became interested applying to dental school, after did my PhD developing dental materials... But anyways, here are my marks: (I did the calculations myself, I heard when ADEA does it, your GPA may actually become higher)
You must have also "heard" that they use a different math. Unless you are total klutz in the .basic sciences, the low gpa may not be a factor. An advanced degree simply shows that you are capable of handling graduate level courses. With a limited number of Ph.D.s, it is hard to imagine that your degree won't be an advantage.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...age-predental-education-of-enrollees.1070379/

Oh, awesome, thank you so so much! I just make to make sure I do well on my DAT now :D

I am applying with PhD degree in Medical Science. I have OK GPA (3.68) and good DAT (25AA, 24TS). I applied late this cycle and have no luck so far. I actually am wondering if schools prefer undergrads because of age.

I am applying with PhD degree in Medical Science. I have OK GPA (3.68) and good DAT (25AA, 24TS). I applied late this cycle and have no luck so far. I actually am wondering if schools prefer undergrads because of age.

Its more like it was a bold move only applying to one school very late in the cycle. Still would bet you will get an interview, assuming it isn't one of the schools that sends all invites super early.

Its more like it was a bold move only applying to one school very late in the cycle. Still would bet you will get an interview, assuming it isn't one of the schools that sends all invites super early.
I think they still have post-december interviews. Last week's invites were all for november.