Would any FMGs who just matched please share their stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsbqb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First off, congratulations to everyone who matched! Its an incredible achievement.

I was hoping to hear the comments, insights, and stories of any FMGs who just matched this year (or in the past). If you could please share your stats also that would be great.

I am applying next year and just want to prepare myself as best I can.

Thank you so much in advance, and again congratulations for your success.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am currently an Intern, so I matched last year.
Really no secret,

Do well on your boards; Greater than 230s preferred on both.
Have all your scores complete by Sept 1st, ie STEP 1, 2 and CS;
Try to get at least 2 SLORs, one preferably from an "audition" rotation;
Get good letters of recs, extracurriculars help, ie EMS, volunteering etc;
Become a student member of SAEM, try to go to any conventions if financially possible; It's in Chicago this year.
Must have no red flags.

I applied to 65 programs, received 10 interviews, matched at my top choice. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently an Intern, so I matched last year.
Really no secret,

Do well on your boards; Greater than 230s preferred on both.
Have all your scores complete by Sept 1st, ie STEP 1, 2 and CS;
Try to get at least 2 SLORs, one preferably from an "audition" rotation;
Get good letters of recs, extracurriculars help, ie EMS, volunteering etc;
Become a student member of SAEM, try to go to any conventions if financially possible; It's in Chicago this year.
Must have no red flags.

I applied to 65 programs, received 10 interviews, matched at my top choice. Good luck

Did you have your step 2 CS and CK at the time of application?
How did you manage audition rotations at places with programs? It is getting extremely hard to set up rotations these days with the creation of the VSAS.

I matched 3 years ago:

My "stats"

Step 1: 210
Step 2: 255

Yes, I took both parts of step 2 before interviewing, I felt that was important, especially since I had a so-so Step 1 score.
I did 2 EM away rotations and a peds EM month and honored all 3. The SLORs I submitted were from program directors at those programs.

I applied very broadly, got 20+ interview invitations including most of the "big name" programs, went to 12 interviews, and matched at my first choice.

I think the key is to honor or high pass your EM rotations, get SLORs from the highest ranked doctor you can, program director is best, and be as active in EM as you can during medical school (join EMRA and/or AAEM-RSA, be active in your school's EMIG, and seek out ED volunteer experiences).

I'd be happy to offer personal advice if you'd like via PM.

In regards to your question about audition rotations:

I contacted programs directly with my CV and asked if I could arrange a rotation. I made sure my email expressed specific interest in the program, and addressed why I would be a good fit. Sometimes with a faculty or PD sponsor, even programs with a policy excluding FMGs will reconsider, or make special arrangements. I was able to arrange rotations at two different programs this way (but I had to email about 20 programs to make that happen).