Would appreciate any advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inopinata vita

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all. Currently in my last semester in undergrad and have already applied, but due to some very unfortunate circumstances I most likely won't be attending and will have to reapply.

Single MCAT Score of 36, but will unfortunately graduate with a 3.55 cGPA, 3.63 sGPA. I'll also probably be preparing to take the new MCAT since my score is from Aug 2014.
I'll be the first to say I don't have much going on in my extracurriculars. I've done some medical statistics research for two semesters and spent a summer in Costa Rica doing biological research. I'll be doing my best to volunteer with the network I still have in my last semester as well as do additional research.

In the forced gap year I'll be shadowing doctors and doing any other clinical volunteer work I'm able to be a part of.

I'm also a Virginia resident, so my in-state options are just UVA Med, MCV, VT, and EVMS.

Thoughts on successfully matriculating? And any suggestions? Thank you.

Start volunteering in a medical setting for 4 hours/week beginning like, yesterday. You should also try volunteering in a non-clinical setting for 1-3 hours per week. You didn't mention that you will be getting a job in your gap year, and I am going to assume that you will do so. GPA's are fine. Start your EC's now, write a good application next spring, get as many people as you can to read and revise your application, and apply early and broadly in June 2017. The MCAT is a bit tricky, but I don't think you will have to retake (and if you don't HAVE to retake it, you definitely shouldn't). Start researching which schools will accept your MCAT from August 2014 in the 2018 application cycle. If you apply this Summer, I am sure it will be viable at most medical schools; however, with your lack of clinical and volunteer experiences I am not sure how much success you would have.

Last edited:
Single MCAT Score of 36, but will unfortunately graduate with a 3.55 cGPA, 3.63 sGPA. I'll also probably be preparing to take the new MCAT since my score is from Aug 2014.
I'll be the first to say I don't have much going on in my extracurriculars. I've done some medical statistics research for two semesters and spent a summer in Costa Rica doing biological research. I'll be doing my best to volunteer with the network I still have in my last semester as well as do additional research.

Do not retake an unexpired 36.

If you are a re-applicant the bar in many ways is higher; you have to specifically show how you have changed and improved in a significant way from the first time you applied. If you yourself are telling us that you dont have many ECs, how are you going to show change/improvement of significance for next cycle? Your best bet is to improve your application and weaknesses, ie volunteering with the less fortunate/vulnerable and gaining clinical experience. Applying without those things again as a reapplicant and what do you think will change next year? In all liklihood absolutely nothing. And just like being a reapplicant is harder than a first time applicant, a 3rd time applicant is definitely more of a burden than a first time reapplicant.

Get your application right, address your weaknesses, then give it ago when you are ready. Fortunately for you if I'm not mistaken there are adefinitely some schools that will accept a 2014 MCAT for the 2017-2018 cycle if you apply next summer.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just checking that "due to some very unfortunate circumstances I most likely won't be attending" means that you will probably not be offered a place, rather than that you may be offered a place you will not be taking up. Because the latter is a complete killer for any future application.