MD Would appreciate any help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

general15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a traditional applicant from a fairly well-regarded liberal arts school, with a 514 MCAT. I have a slightly lower cGPA and sGPA (3.55, 3.64 respectively) but my school is known for not grade inflating. My school list is as follows:

NEOMED (OH)
Ohio State (OH)
Toledo (OH)
Cincinnati (OH)
Wright State (OH)
Baylor
Emory
UPenn
Thomas Jefferson
Pittsburgh
UVA
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Wash U

What are my chances at these schools? I have pretty decent ECs (mixture of volunteering, leadership position, shadowing). Any other schools I should add to my list?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your IS chances are very good.
Let me save you some cash on Baylor, Emory, Penn, Vandy and especially Wash U!
There are other better reaches where you might get an interview depending on the rest of your ap.
Consider Miami and Tulane, for example.
Might as well add VCU and Temple.

Your IS chances are very good.
Let me save you some cash on Baylor, Emory, Penn, Vandy and especially Wash U!
There are other better reaches where you might get an interview depending on the rest of your ap.
Consider Miami and Tulane, for example.
Might as well add VCU and Temple.

Thanks for the reply--I'm hoping that my school's reputation, my letters of recommendation, personal statement, and extra curriculars can make up for my slightly low MCAT (relative to those schools) and GPA!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply--I'm hoping that my school's reputation, my letters of recommendation, personal statement, and extra curriculars can make up for my slightly low MCAT (relative to those schools) and GPA!
Your MCAT and gpa are below the 10th% for Wash U, though.
It would take some spectacular circumstances to overcome both data points in a notoriously metrics-driven school.

If you want a reach, you gotta add Case Western. Penn and WashU are very long shots with your MCAT and GPA.

Others to consider: Rochester, Einstein, Hofstra, NYMC, Temple, Rush, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin

I am a traditional applicant from a fairly well-regarded liberal arts school, with a 514 MCAT. I have a slightly lower cGPA and sGPA (3.55, 3.64 respectively) but my school is known for not grade inflating. My school list is as follows:

NEOMED (OH)
Ohio State (OH)
Toledo (OH)
Cincinnati (OH)
Wright State (OH)
Baylor
Emory
UPenn
Thomas Jefferson
Pittsburgh
UVA
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Wash U

What are my chances at these schools? I have pretty decent ECs (mixture of volunteering, leadership position, shadowing). Any other schools I should add to my list?

Thanks!

A reach in your case is Emory, Rochester, Einstein, USC or Boston U. WASHU? Even with extraordinary once in 5 years type circumstances a 3.6/33 still is really stretching things. You realize pretty close to half of WASHUs incoming class last year had an MCAT OVER 38? To give perspective only a couple hundred people a year hit the 40 mark.

UVA isn't a smart call either.

You're in solid shape with your state schools. It wouldn't be crazy to throw an application Case Western's way either depending on your research experience.

I'd still throw in some more lower tiers. Wake Forest, Tulane, Loyola, Rush, Western Michigan, Oakland, Quinnipac, VCU would be some of the first schools I would consider adding on.

Reactions: 1 user
Penn, Pitt, Vandy, and WashU are all going to be out of reach based on MCAT (Pitt would be the most likely, as you have the equivalent of 33ish and their median is 36). UVA reports a 36 median, but the matriculant median is closer to a 34, so you may have a shot there. Emory is similar to UVA.

Reactions: 1 user