Would appreciate your advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phaasgaya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Particularly if you have experience on an admissions committee or insight into their process.

Long time reader here. Graduated UG in 2008. I applied for 2009 but only had one interview, waitlisted, didn't get in. I will give you a brief overview of my background since then.

I went to a top 10 for undergrad and was an engineering major. I also took all pre-med required classes. My GPA in the end was about a 3.4 (major), 3.2 overall. I took a very very heavy classload every year and it was the first couple that messed me up (Organic chem, Biochem were B-, C+). I took the MCAT twice and got a 30 and 34. I got one interview and was waitlisted (did not get in). I had good extra curricular stuff, particularly one intense clinical internship.

After that I joined a research group and over 2 years had 5 publications and 2 presentations at national conferences. One publication was as first author in a major journal.

Then I got into an awesome grad program and won a fellowship to do an MS at a top 5 program. My GPA was perfect in grad school but most classes were less technical. I finished at the end of 2011 and after that started working in industry (related to medicine, interact with physicians). I was laid off a few months ago.

I still want to go to medical school. What do you think of my chances?

I can have everything for AMCAS complete by 8/15 (including letters) so probably verified by 9/15. The earliest MCAT I could sign up for was 9/7 and I'm getting 36-38 on practice tests. Is that just too late or are my scores good enough for a couple interviews?

Should I wait and re-take old pre-med classes? I feel like successfully completing a grad program and doing really well on the MCAT should show that I've matured as a student and have the ability to do well in medical school. As a 28 year old, I want to make the right choice...

summary
UG: 3.3, Grad (MS): 3.9 (both top 10 schools)
5 publications (1 first author)
excellent extra-curriculars but mostly happened during undergrad years
industry experience
2008 MCAT (34), 2013 MCAT (36 - projected)

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Particularly if you have experience on an admissions committee or insight into their process.

Long time reader here. Graduated UG in 2008. I applied for 2009 but only had one interview, waitlisted, didn't get in. I will give you a brief overview of my background since then.

I went to a top 10 for undergrad and was an engineering major. I also took all pre-med required classes. My GPA in the end was about a 3.4 (major), 3.2 overall. I took a very very heavy classload every year and it was the first couple that messed me up (Organic chem, Biochem were B-, C+). I took the MCAT twice and got a 30 and 34. I got one interview and was waitlisted (did not get in). I had good extra curricular stuff, particularly one intense clinical internship.

After that I joined a research group and over 2 years had 5 publications and 2 presentations at national conferences. One publication was as first author in a major journal.

Then I got into an awesome grad program and won a fellowship to do an MS at a top 5 program. My GPA was perfect in grad school but most classes were less technical. I finished at the end of 2011 and after that started working in industry (related to medicine, interact with physicians). I was laid off a few months ago.

I still want to go to medical school. What do you think of my chances?

I can have everything for AMCAS complete by 8/15 (including letters) so probably verified by 9/15. The earliest MCAT I could sign up for was 9/7 and I'm getting 36-38 on practice tests. Is that just too late or are my scores good enough for a couple interviews?

Should I wait and re-take old pre-med classes? I feel like successfully completing a grad program and doing really well on the MCAT should show that I've matured as a student and have the ability to do well in medical school. As a 28 year old, I want to make the right choice...

summary
industry experience

Thank you in advance.

You're a strong candidate...but applying this late throws a HUGE wrench in your calculations.

If you have the money to burn and really don't want to wait a year, you could apply. But you will have much, much better chances at higher ranked research programs if you apply early in the cycle next year.

Thank you, that is sobering to hear.

Anyone else?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated in 2007, went back to school for pre-reqs, had a very strong application (36Q, 3.9 sGPA, professional guide, compelling life story, blah blah blah), but due to life events, didn't submit secondaries until November 2011. Applied to 13 MD schools, interviewed at 4, got into three, and am now at Tufts Maine Track. I love it, and can't imagine being anywhere else. That being said, if I had applied months earlier, I would have had more options. You are going to be even later than I was, and that's saying something. I would wait, do a few ECs this year, and knock the application out of the park next year. It'll look a lot better than limping in at the end.
My two cents

No need to re-take old classes...your MS performance is great but were they research/theory type courses?

There are schools out there that reward reinvention, so I'd say that if you aim for the low-tier MD schools, and any DO program, you're in.

Agree with previous post that for this year, it's too late in the cycle for MD, but DO cycles are longer, so you still have a chance.

summary
industry experience

Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

Thank you all for these responses. I hate the idea of waiting until Summer 2014 to apply and not entering until 2015 when I will be 30. However, I am pretty firm on wanting to attend a solid research institution. I like having the option to be involved in interesting research efforts...

I also want to maximize my chances. The MS classes were all theory/project based. A few of them could be considered hard science types.

I know the smarter thing to do is wait. But the 2 year interim might make me crazy if I don't find something worthwhile to do in the meantime.