Would being a hostess/waitress during gap year impact my med school application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IceDuchess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

How do med schools view applicants who had a job as a hostess or waitress during gap year? What are the pros and cons of having this as a job experience?

I have hospital volunteer, leadership, and research experience and am now looking for something to do during my year off. I got a job offer for Red Robin today and would like to know how that'll impact my application. This would be my very first job.

Thank you for your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How do med schools view applicants who had a job as a hostess or waitress during gap year? What are the pros and cons of having this as a job experience?

I have hospital volunteer, leadership, and research experience and am now looking for something to do during my year off. I got a job offer for Red Robin today and would like to know how that'll impact my application.
A service job where you are required to use your people skills is a positive.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm currently working as a scribe and a hostess in my gap year. In the midst of my application cycle right now so we'll see how things go
I definitely think it is something that, if asked about in interviews, I would be able to explain in terms of how it prepares me to interact with people in a variety of scenarios

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I have hospital volunteer, leadership, and research experience and am now looking for something to do during my year off. I got a job offer for Red Robin today and would like to know how that'll impact my application. This would be my very first job.

Thank you for your replies.

I can't imagine it being negative on your application. As a previous server, it requires a lot of multitasking in a high-stress environment, time management skills, and good communication skills. Also you're part of a team, as you will be in a healthcare setting. If you want to be safe, you could supplement some type of volunteering as well once or twice a week.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm currently Chief Scribe in an ED and being a server still trumps this job as most stressful and requiring most time management skills. Definitely a good thing.

Congrats on getting a job!

Go for it. In addition to the above, it's a job that will teach you how to work as apart of a team - lending and receiving aid simultaneously to work towards a common goal. Collaboration at its finest.

At one of my interviews, one of the interviewers literally spent the whole time talking about a service job I had during the summer and how she was trying to get her daughter to get a retail/service job. In my opinion, there are no cons in making an honest living and paying for your med school apps and interviews.

At my interview, the adcom told me that having experience in a field other than medicine is usually a positive.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm a gap year scribe, and had this question before choosing what to do with my free time. A physician I shadowed who is extremely well-respected and well-versed with pre-med affairs gave me good advice.

If you can, get a job in the medical field somehow.

If you can't, find a job that pays good money and try to get involved in medicine through other routes. Maybe on your off days, volunteer at a hospital or join a local medical club of some sort. There is no negative impact to choosing a different gap year job like serving... but there are positives to staying involved in the medical community.... If that makes sense.

Hope this helps and good luck! Don't stress it.