Would cheering for a professional football team during my first and second year be too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DancingDr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted into a D.O school in a major city that has a NFL team. I've always wanted to cheer professionally and I was thinking about auditioning for the squad. They practice two times a week for 4 hours and usually the games are on Sunday (All day). Do you think this would be too time consuming? I don't want to set myself up for failure.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted into a D.O school in a major city that has a NFL team. I've always wanted to cheer professionally and I was thinking about auditioning for the squad.

Honestly I think it would be pretty difficult to pull off--if you are incredibly organized, you might be able to do it...but I still think it would be a stretch.

Either way, Sup

Reactions: 9 users
Howyoudoin

You'd have to really, really love cheer for it to be worth it. Maybe see how first year goes then try second year if you think you can handle it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Will you be expected to cheer at away games? If so, you will not be able to do it.

You will barely have time to eat in med school

Reactions: 7 users
It would be impossible at my school with the schedule we have (8-5, with all exams on Monday). Your curriculum will be a major determinant. Even if you could squeeze it in somewhere, I'm not sure this is a good time to be getting involved in something like this. Maybe if you love it so much, defer a year and get it out of your system? At least experience the grind of med school before committing. I'm pretty sure it would change your mind.

Last edited:
I just got accepted into a D.O school in a major city that has a NFL team. I've always wanted to cheer professionally and I was thinking about auditioning for the squad. They practice two times a week for 4 hours and usually the games are on Sunday (All day). Do you think this would be too time consuming? I don't want to set myself up for failure.

It's probably doable, but its not a good idea.

You will absolutely be making a direct trade-off between doing this and studying, which translates to a direct effect on your school performance. Don't lie to yourself about this fact.

Unless you are in a very unique situation (i.e. matching anywhere in any specialty is fine, and your education is paid for), it's not worth it in the least.

In addition to practices and games, you'll also be required to do a lot of promotional stuff. Time-wise, you won't be able to study nearly as much as the majority of your classmates. On another note, it also wouldn't pay for your tuition either since most cheerleaders make near minimum wage and don't get any special benefits. I won't go into the socioeconomics of NFL cheerleading (I'll let the article below speak instead), but for an aspiring physician, I think you would be better off finding local modeling jobs instead (see izzie stevens), it would be much less demanding and may even pay more too.

For some insight on what it's really like to be an NFL cheerleader, check out this eye-opening article. I read this a little while back and I can undoubtedly say it changed my perspective of the NFL and of all the pro cheerleaders out there.

Bottom line, even if you don't care where you match (or if you even match), it's not worth being a cheerleader unless you are looking for some face-time and promotion as a professional model or dancer.

Reactions: 2 users
Great idea if you have nothing else to converse about at your residency interview dinner - if you make it that far.

I actually know a professional NFL cheerleader. Trust me--DON'T DO IT. You will not have time for it, and it will damage your studies. I'm not sure how much experience you have, but the girl I know who did it for a number of years was very involved in dance and exercise, etc... She was very talented at dancing, and the practicing will end up being more than you think.

It's not even close to being worth it.
Also, have you auditioned? Have you actually been accepted? It is incredibly hard to be accepted.

Any chance of putting the med school thing on hold while you live this other life for a bit? Just throwing that out there. Trust the gut (even though you're probably rocking a chick-six-pack).

This thread:

tumblr_m520z0XJyZ1rquf2k.gif

You will barely have time to eat in med school

Mainly before exams outside of that... yeah not a good idea.

OP, I'd recommend waiting until you at least take your first few tests before deciding to make a commitment like this. The truth is that it is a huge time commitment, and medical school is a big adjustment. Afterwards, you may find that you have the time to commit, but be sure of that first.

It's probably doable, but its not a good idea.

This.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...lawsuits-jills-raiderettes-minimum-wage-women

262986-650-366.jpg

But as much as they are valued as a business bonus, cheerleaders have for the most part received little more than recognition for the hundreds of hours they put into their game day preparation, performances, and the many different events they attend on behalf of the NFL teams they represent.

The Raiderettes last week were awarded a $1.25 million settlement on back wages owed to members of the Raiders cheerleading team. Under the terms of their previous agreement, the cheerleaders made less than $5 an hour. Under their new agreement, they will be paid $9 an hour. Four NFL teams (Cincinnati, Buffalo, Tampa Bay and New York (Jets) are still dealing with cheerleader-related lawsuits.

The Bengals, Buccaneers and Jets all have cheerleading teams, but the Bills disbanded the Jills in May after the Jills filed their lawsuit. When the Bills play the Dolphins in Buffalo's home opener Sunday, it will be for the first time since 1967 without the Jills.

In their filing, Buffalo’s cheerleaders contend they were asked to work 16 hours or more during the NFL season and for all of their efforts, were given a parking pass to Ralph Wilson Stadium. The Ben-Gals were paid $45 a game, well below minimum wage when the hours of unpaid practice time is factored in.

I actually like this bunch better:

Dallas-Cowboys-cheerleaders.jpg

Much better hair, of course, but their quarterback SUCKS.

No.

Reactions: 1 users