Would even getting a 45 on my MCAT get me into Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr Doc Turr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
REPOST

I'm a junior in college now. I am planning on taking the MCAT in either April or May.

My school GPA is 3.034 ( I know, its low)

I put my grades into a reliable AMCAS GPA calculator and it shows my GPA as 2.97. My science GPA is even lower at 2.73 (brutal)

I have a good, but not great amount of volunteer hours as well.

My GPA has been on a slight, slight incline since the end of my sophomore year. I still have 40 credits to take so that might increase my GPA... BUT the AMCAS will only factor in my grades after this semester if I apply this summer. So, not much of a difference there.

I am going to study my heart out for the MCAT and my question is...

QUESTION- Would a perfect MCAT score give me a chance to get into medical school, or should I just not study this year and and try again next year?

BONUS QUESTION- What are my chances for Caribbean Med Schools like ROSS, AUC, and St Georges?

Members don't see this ad.

You got this response from a reliable source just 45 minutes ago. . .

Even a 45 MCAT score will not rescue a non-competitive GPA like yours for MD schools.

So you made another thread?

Reactions: 2 users
As long as you're breathing and can write a tuition check, chances are excellent for Carib diploma mills.

Chances are also excellent for you to be unemployed and six figures in debt too.

BONUS QUESTION- What are my chances for Caribbean Med Schools like ROSS, AUC, and St Georges?

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No.

Your 2.7 sGPA is way too low to be forgivable, even with a perfect MCAT score. But if you can get your sGPA to at least a 3.3, then a very high MCAT (35+) WILL help you get into many medical schools.

So before you study your heart out for the MCAT, make sure your sGPA is at least at an acceptable level.

Reactions: 1 users
You got this response from a reliable source just 45 minutes ago. . .

So you made another thread?
The more sources, the better input I can get. Didn't mean to offend anyone

You could have just bumped your original thread, which is identical to this one.

Reactions: 1 user

For sake of redundant input, a 45 MCAT (or 528 for the new MCAT) would not get you in. Your GPA tells a story of inability to handle coursework(a narrative you need to change). A perfect MCAT score with a low GPA just says "hey, I'm actually smart but really lazy when it comes to classes".

Work on GPA repair first. Retake classes you did poorly in and then take the MCAT.

Reactions: 3 users
It's an irrelevant question. Like asking if benching 9million pounds will make a girl like you...you won't so it doesn't matter.

Your best plan is to take so retakes till your gpas are both >3.2-3.4 ish and then apply DO with a mcat in the hogh 20's

Reactions: 3 users
These guys have good points, all is not lost. All of my MD schools had a GPA limit of 3.2 and (I think) a bottom MCAT of 21 (mean was 30). Most however, emphasized that if you could get through the GPA and MCAT screenings, then a KILLER EC record could clinch an acceptance, basically those two numbers just get you into the front door. That said, I would spend the time to get that GPA up to the minimum, and if you're anything like most, redoing the classes you scored poorly in will likely help on the MCAT down the road anyway. It's a long road for everybody, but put in the time and you won't regret it; just my $.02. Good luck!

There were 4 non-URM applicants last cycle with a MCAT between 39-45 and a GPA between 3.00 and 3.19. 2 of them were accepted.

Isn't it going to be impossible to score 45 on the MCAT in April or May??

Won't a score of 472 pretty much be the minimum?

Maybe you mean to ask "If I score 528...."

My response would be, "come back when you do and I'll buy you a beer." (or a root beer if you are under age).

Reactions: 6 users
When you see this, it usually means that they had a very compelling life story, were veterans, or had a major rising trend in the past couple of years of their schooling. OR, they were legacies.

There were 4 non-URM applicants last cycle with a MCAT between 39-45 and a GPA between 3.00 and 3.19. 2 of them were accepted.