Would Heisenberg get into medical school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Truth be told, I never got past season 1, episode 2.... when would he have applied (which season)? He might have had enough of a hook in his application that a school that likes "non-trads" would jump on him. At some point he did become unhinged (I kept up with the story although I didn't watch), early on he might have been an interesting applicant and he might have interviewed well. (Even unhinged he might have fooled some adcoms as he fooled his brother-in-law for so long).

There is certainly no argument against that, but what I was really alluding to was my comment regarding his age?

Members don't see this ad.

There is certainly no argument against that, but what I was really alluding to was my comment regarding his age?
How old is he? If he has the cash to pay for school so that he graduates with no debt and need not worry about how many years he'd need to work to pay off his loans, this might not be an issue. Some schools will trade off longevity for diversity. And we never know who might not live long despite being admitted at a young age. Frankly, I've never heard "too old" as a reason not to admit someone.

How old is he? If he has the cash to pay for school so that he graduates with no debt and need not worry about how many years he'd need to work to pay off his loans, this might not be an issue. Some schools will trade off longevity for diversity. And we never know who might not live long despite being admitted at a young age. Frankly, I've never heard "too old" as a reason not to admit someone.

He was in his mid 50's, for what it's worth.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think Gretchen and Elliot were all that happy with Walt by the end of the show.

Walt could probably only get a good LOR from Skinny Pete and Badger.

Yeah, awesome blue stuff the Dude cooks up is gnarly. What would an Adcom say to that??

they're called gunners.
I'm sure there was a "heisenburg" somewhere.
probably ranked #1 (because his competitors got blown up/poisoned).

Reactions: 1 user
Riddle for the weekend: Saul, Jesse and Walt enter a hospital, who walks out alive?

Ummm PhD in Chemistry, helped start a multi-million dollar company, did research that won the Nobel prize in chemistry..

If you can do it, he I can do it better ;)

PREMEDS: I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Last edited:
Ummm PhD in Chemistry, helped start a multi-million dollar company, did research that won the Nobel prize in chemistry..

If you can do it, he can do it better ;)

Why are you speaking in third person?

If you can do it, he I can do it better ;)

PREMEDS: I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Billions......with a B.

Members don't see this ad :)
@LizzyM discussing Walter White's prospects for admission to medical school.... my life is now complete.

Reactions: 1 users
I think he could, yeah. I don't think he really cares about helping people, though. That could be a problem in his interviews

All I really have to say is how cute would Jesse be as a PA. Walter says something and Jesse goes, "Yeah, science, bitch!"

Reactions: 3 users
Why did this get bumped???

He would have so many interesting stories for his essays about "overcoming challenges" or "working in a group setting".

This thread is tight, tight, tight!

Nope, I'm afraid he would likely have to reapply after getting some clinical volunteering.

Nope, I'm afraid he would likely have to reapply after getting some clinical volunteering.

Some adcoms might see a 50-something chemistry teacher who has put up with difficult students in his classroom and decide that he has demonstrated his willingness to be of service to the community. I would want to see some clinical experience beyond what he's acquired from being a patient and the care of his son who appears to have perhaps had some medical issues. Some shadowing, maybe?

Some adcoms might see a 50-something chemistry teacher who has put up with difficult students in his classroom and decide that he has demonstrated his willingness to be of service to the community. I would want to see some clinical experience beyond what he's acquired from being a patient and the care of his son who appears to have perhaps had some medical issues. Some shadowing, maybe?
Correct me if I'm wrong as you are the adcom member, but wouldn't teaching in a high school be considered non-medical volunteering only? I always assumed that having zero clinical experience is an unshakeable red flag.

Correct me if I'm wrong as you are the adcom member, but wouldn't teaching in a high school be considered non-medical volunteering only? I always assumed that having zero clinical experience is an unshakeable red flag.
It's not even volunteering. He was getting paid for it.

Getting paid to teach is a service role even though one is paid for it... so is medicine in that regard.

I would want to see the applicant, Mr. White, with some clinical experience beyond his own illness and the health issues that his son has had.

Don't forget the "I was so inspired by the dedicated physicians who cared for me when I was sick and I want to be just like them in bringing hope to patients who are afraid and uncertain." It is amazing that I haven't developed diabetes with all the sap and sugar I've been exposed to in PSs.
Do you ever have applicants who don't incorporate any ethos or pathos into their personal statement? Ever had an applicant say that becoming a doctor seemed like a great career choice because it guaranteed him or her a great salary and didn't come with much risk? And that they had the intellect capable of grasping complex material, as evidenced by stellar GPA/MCAT, and have good interpersonal skills, as evidenced by various leadership positions (all written in an ordinary matter-of-fact tone)? Maybe the personal statement is even only 2-3 paragraphs... How might admissions view that?

Do you ever have applicants who don't incorporate any ethos or pathos into their personal statement? Ever had an applicant say that becoming a doctor seemed like a great career choice because it guaranteed him or her a great salary and didn't come with much risk? And that they had the intellect capable of grasping complex material, as evidenced by stellar GPA/MCAT, and have good interpersonal skills, as evidenced by various leadership positions (all written in an ordinary matter-of-fact tone)? Maybe the personal statement is even only 2-3 paragraphs... How might admissions view that?

I've read several thousand and I can't recall ever seeing anything that short & to the point without any heart and/or soul.

Which Game of Thrones characters would get into medical school?
ARYA!! If she gets killed of by GRRM, I'll burn all his books. She is my favorite character.

Funny how this thread got bummed from a year ago. Good times, back January 2014.
M1 isn't so bad, but 6 months of traveling was better.