Would it be in my best interest to..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreVetGator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a freshman, undergrad, at UF and started working in a research lab last semester, so I administer medications to canines and assist in whelping and stuff, but I work alone, therefore, I never work with an actual veterinarian, however, I just got an opportunity to work at a veterinary hospital supervised by a veterinarian that wants us to learn from him, and I'd also get to watch surgeries and do the work of a technician vs just adminstering the occasion subq injection and giving oral and optic medications/bottle feeding puppies. I don't have the time to do both, so which would "look better" or be in my best interest of being a part of at this time?

Members don't see this ad.

You will need veterinary supervised experience for your application. Research looks good, but more as a plus, whereas the veterinary experience is required.

Definitely go for the vet work! If I had gotten the opportunity to be tech trained on the job I would have snagged it forthwith.

Members don't see this ad :)
With being a freshman, pick the one you like and work to get other experiences as you go through school.

On a completely different note, periods and proper grammar makes it a lot easier to help you out. Not being mean, but I had to read your two sentences twice to figure out what was going on.

Reactions: 2 users
IMO I would go for the tech work. I got the opportunity to do that with a mixed animal practice for 2 years and the amount on knowledge I gained was amazing. I agree that research is more of a plus. The vet experience is required.