Would it be silly to apply this late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OsteopathicHopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Stats are 22 MCAT and a 3.7 GPA with a 3.65 SGPA
I've worked as a scrub tech for 6 years with MD and DPM.

Do I have a chance at getting into kent state this late in the game???
If I sent my primary now?

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good shot at larger schools like Kent, NYCPM, and Temple. You're a strong applicant too, so you should be fine. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why rush into a 7 year education / rest of your life commitment at the last minute when what you really need is a new MCAT score.

Why rush into a 7 year education / rest of your life commitment at the last minute when what you really need is a new MCAT score.
Does he need a new MCAT score? His current one is average and maybe just slightly below average but his GPA is way above average.

Why shouldn't he go DPM?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess heybrother is referring the the OP's name as indicative that DPM isn't the first choice profession. That plus asking if he can apply now sounds an awful lot like DPM is a backup after he got rejected to DO. Not saying that's the truth necessarily, just it's the impression that I get (cue the Mighty Mighty Bosstones music).

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess heybrother is referring the the OP's name as indicative that DPM isn't the first choice profession. That plus asking if he can apply now sounds an awful lot like DPM is a backup after he got rejected to DO. Not saying that's the truth necessarily, just it's the impression that I get (cue the Mighty Mighty Bosstones music).
You're right it was a backup, but now I'm starting to realize I could be just as happy in podiatry and waiting another year with a wife and 2 kids is harder than if I was younger and single...

You're right it was a backup, but now I'm starting to realize I could be just as happy in podiatry and waiting another year with a wife and 2 kids is harder than if I was younger and single...
If you feel like podiatry is really what you want to do then go for it, apply now and you have a shot at getting in this year. But if you haven't spent enough time with a podiatrist (or several preferably) to get to know what the day to day is like, I would say it would be in your best interest to wait and take the time to figure out what you really want to do. As for your original question, I would guess you have a reasonable chance at Kent, but I would suggest applying ASAP.

Yeah, you will have no problem getting into a pod school with those stats. Kent State is deff possible this late, they have a huge class.

Caution however, I had a cousin in your position (applied as backup with about a 20 MCAT and 3.1 GPA) and she ended up regretting going through all that schooling. She is liking what she is doing now, but She told me she would have been better off looking into nurse practictioner or nurse anasthesia.

That being said, podiatry is a wonderful profession. I just wish the schooling wasn't so stupid long, otherwise I would look into it as my first choice. Very little death, nicer hours than most surgical specialties, and they can end up making a lot of money.

Well, felt like I would update you folks on my status. I have been offered an interview at Kent State for May 6. I am really excited and feel I am make a good decision deciding to apply. I will keep you posted.

Does anyone know if they will still have seats available?

Reactions: 2 users