would it be strange to put Canine PT as observation hours on PTCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sailing09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am filling out PTCAS and the majority of observation hours I am putting are at regular rehab facilities. I did at one point get to go to a facility where the PT was done on dogs. Would that be strange, hurt, or help my PTCAS application? I would check it off under "other"

Members don't see this ad.

I would put it. It is a valid field in physical therapy. I think interviewers would find it interesting.

I was always told to put down anything that is out of the ordinary in applications haha. That experience could really make you stick out in heads of whoever is reviewing your application...makes you memorable in a way. I definitely don't think it would hurt, so I would list it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did canine PT too....I emailed PTCAS and asked them. It does not qualify as a PT experience, but they told me to put it under my volunteer experience. I'm glad I did the observation though even though it didn't count...it was freaking awesome.

Hi DancerFutureDPT, I looked at the section where you put your entries for volunteer hours on PTCAS and it seems like the way the fields are set up, it would be difficult to put canine PT in there. Because I observed 3 hours one time a few months ago and a few hours more recently. It seems like the volunteer portion of the application wants how many hours a week you volunteer and I wouldn't be able to fit that in.

Did Ptcas totally discourage putting canine pt under observation hours? Like would it really look bad on my application under hours?

I went back and found the email I sent them/that they sent back:

Dear ____,

Please only list PT experience when working with humans. Unfortunately, canine rehab does not qualify. Please list this under either "work experience" or "extra-curricular activities".

Thank you.

PTCAS Customer Service
[email protected]
617-612-2040

- - - - - - - -
I hope that helps? I would not put them under observation hours. Since you're applying to a human PT program, it won't count. Canine PT is an entirely different field and requires a different program.

I went back and found the email I sent them/that they sent back:

Dear ____,

Please only list PT experience when working with humans. Unfortunately, canine rehab does not qualify. Please list this under either "work experience" or "extra-curricular activities".

Thank you.

PTCAS Customer Service
[email protected]
617-612-2040

- - - - - - - -
I hope that helps? I would not put them under observation hours. Since you're applying to a human PT program, it won't count. Canine PT is an entirely different field and requires a different program.
thanks for the info. I appreciate it!

It's a bummer that it doesn't qualify as PT observation hours, but it should be good to have a well-rounded background in health care. If you did any sort of work with humans or animals with physical disabilities (even if they weren't under the supervision of a licensed physical therapist), be sure to mention it in your personal statement because it shows you have extensive experience with people with physical disabilities.