Would it look like GPA padding?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geo16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it hurt to take Anatomy or Microbiology?
Both are really good courses to take next spring semester.

I'll be taking Gen Chemistry 2 and Calculus 1 on spring.
I've looked over Microbiology and Anatomy as the next candidate course.

Both are do-able and there are a lot of professors that are currently teaching this fall.
Looks like I'll have a spot at both.

However, this might look like obvious GPA padding
(I'm taking them before any other Bio/Physics pre-requisites).

So, my excuse would be that Biology 1 isn't available during Spring semester. Let alone, can't take Biology 2.
Physics isn't available either, due to only 2nd Algebra-based Physics being available during Spring.
But I'd like to take this chance to take any Biological Science courses this spring.

Would taking Anatomy and Microbiology raise some questions?
Thank you for taking your time to read my neurotic post.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is this a legitimate concern?? I can 100% guarantee you that no one is going to view taking anatomy or micro as GPA padding. Source: common sense. GPA padding is taking something like dance history of music appreciation as a senior when these aren't required courses.

Reactions: 6 users
GPA padding is taking something like dance history of music appreciation as a senior when these aren't required courses.
I see. Thank you very much.
Also, yeah, I'm sorry. It was a legitimate question, but I was anxious about what to take next Winter/Spring.
Guess I was too anxious to see it through.
Again, thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, that probably came off way meaner than I intended. I'll blame it on it being late and me still being at work. But no one is gonna think you're padding your GPA when you take upper level science classes. You'll be fine. Enjoy college.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha, yes, I'm really enjoying college right now.
There are a lot of things in life that I can learn and educate myself with :D
That includes this forum!
And no, you aren't mean. hehe

Last edited:

So, my excuse would be that Biology 1 isn't available during Spring semester. Let alone, can't take Biology 2.
Physics isn't available either, due to only 2nd Algebra-based Physics being available during Spring.
But I'd like to take this chance to take any Biological Science courses this spring.
There is no downside to taking Anatomy or Microbiology before the core Bio classes, so long as Bio isn't a prerequisite to taking the classes.

Reactions: 1 users

If you're eligible to enroll in Anatomy or Microbiology at your UG at this time, it's not a problem ... no worries.

Thank you very much for your replies!!
I will try to get a hold of spot at those courses. Usually they will become full immediately.
But I will go and crash the course somehow. Never done it before, but those courses are worth the try.
Thank you!

0/10 troll effort.

What you really need to do is take poetry and ecology classes to Adcoms you can handle med school.

Both are really good courses to take next spring semester.

I'll be taking Gen Chemistry 2 and Calculus 1 on spring.
I've looked over Microbiology and Anatomy as the next candidate course.

Both are do-able and there are a lot of professors that are currently teaching this fall.
Looks like I'll have a spot at both.

Thank you for taking your time to read my neurotic post.

0/10 troll effort.

What you really need to do is take poetry and ecology classes to Adcoms you can handle med school.
Ah, I see. Yeah, I can see why people think it was a trolling effort.
I will think twice about posting now on.
Sorry for wasting your time, didn't really mean it.

At my school, microbiology is 'bio 1' and anatomy is standard for any bio major...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

At my school, microbiology is 'bio 1' and anatomy is standard for any bio major...
Nice.
Yeah, our school separates Anatomy and Microbiology for its nursing program.
Our school only have three Biology One Intro, Geneal Bio 1&2.
Other schools in our district provides Genetics or Human Biology(looks similar to Anatomy).

One of the school I hope to transfer to, UCLA, have it all in their 1 year of Life Science series.
Covers all topics: Molecular Biology, Cells, Anatomy, Genetics, Ecology, and etc..
If I'm going to transfer to UCLA, I'm going to cover it all, so it'd be a good preview/survey.