Would like some advice about my path to FM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

famfam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I’m a US-IMG that graduated just a few weeks ago. I’ve been interested in FM for a while now, but wasn’t able to secure a rotation until near the end of my clinical studies, and thought it would hurt my chances to apply without a letter from an FM attending. I have decent Step scores (>220 Step 1 and 2, first attempt, pass CS first attempt), am taking Step 3 ASAP, and am ECFMG certified. Honored my FM rotation with excellent eval and letter. Now my dilemma:

1) My plan was to apply this cycle for FM. My only hold up is that two of my LoRs are from 2011 (my FM LoR is from a couple months ago). I’m volunteering at a local clinic for the underserved and was planning on getting an LoR from there. Would that LoR be useful at all, or should I stick to the ones I already have? They are strong letters so I am hesitant to replace them. After interview season, I’m almost certain I’d have a job teaching clinical skills to students at my med school.

2) I’ve been offered a prelim PGY-1 position in IM at an institution where I rotated. That would be an extra LoR, but I don’t know how worth it that prelim year would be (possibly 2x intern year, time off for interviewing, DME/IME funding issues). It’d be possible to find a PGY-2 spot that opens up somewhere I guess, but I don’t know how feasible that is and I’d much rather go into FM.

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks for any advice you may have.

Members don't see this ad.

1) I don't understand what your problem is, because I had 4 LOR onfile, and used 3 of them for each application. You say you have 2 LOR and could get a 3rd one but you think it'll replace one of the original 2. I don't think it will replace it, it will add to it. Some places require 3, some only 2. So I don't see what you would only want 2 when you can get 3.

2) If you want FM do FM. But if you can't do FM because can't find a position, then do the IM. Its actually not hard to find IM PGY2 because many people find they dont' want to do that after 1 year. Read the Book House of God. =)

I don't really see any point in taking the IM prelim year unless you'd rather do IM and would like to apply for a PGY2 position. If you want FM, I'm sure you'd match.