Would like to switch IM residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmwisc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to change from my current IM Residency program to another IM program. I would greatly appreciate any advice about how to initiate contacting other IM programs and if it is reasonably possible to do this without going through the match.

The motivation to change is somewhat due to unhappiness with the evaluation system at the current residency program and somewhat due to disenchantment with a number of attendings. Geographic preferences are also a factor.

I am currently PGY-I, with several decent evaluations but also several poor evaluations which I believe were based on very superficial consideration.

As someone who I would like to start working before the July 1 2003 period, I am wondering if it will be necessary to start all three years over, or if I would get partial credit for the 6 months I have completed to date. Also, would it be reasonable to expect that I would be paid a regular resident's salary, or would salary adjustment be necessary for the 6 months of funding a new program would not receive from Medicare.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

When I was an intern in IM, two of upper level residents had transferred in from other programs. There supposedly is a listing or data bank of upper level openings. You should approach an upper level in your program who had transferred in. You should also inquire the programs that you might be interested in directly. They might look more favorably if your reason to move was personal, like family desire to relocate or your desire to practice at certain locale after completion etc. as program directors may know each other. It would be better if you wait out until the end of your internship since schedules are often made out for the whole year. IM is challenging and the stress can vary greatly among programs, such that transferring is not at all unusual. Good luck.

call the programs you are interested in and ask them if they would consider applications. you don't need to go through the match if you aren't applying for pg1 positions.

you are going to need a couple of recommendations, so you better be sure about leaving before you ask. and you better ask people who have nothing but good things to say. and you better not bad mouth your program to the new place.

oh and fix those bad evaluations before you leave. they will still follow you to your new destination. and give some thought as to whether there was any truth to the evaluations. medicine as a field is still filled with major grade inflation so unless someone is just vindictive (which is possible) it is hard to get a 'bad' grade. And much more difficult to get several.

it is up to the program how much credit they want to give you.
you may even get full credit.