Would my ethnicity count against me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dahntaysavenue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just joined the Student Doctor forum. I have a question that I'd like to have resolved before I start applying.

I'm Asian. I have heard that that would count against me and I've already accepted that.

I work to support myself because my parents cannot support me (for various reasons that I'd rather not get into). I'm pretty much independent. I work with day laborers to help pay for school and other bills: moving, delivery, driving, cleaning, small business opportunities, etc...

As a result of my circumstances, my GPA isn't that good - 3.4-ish.

So my question is:
Assuming I have a competitive MCAT score (I did 32-37 in practices), would my circumstances be enough to offset the penalties set against me because of my ethnicity?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I just joined the Student Doctor forum. I have a question that I'd like to have resolved before I start applying.

I'm Asian. I have heard that that would count against me and I've already accepted that.

I work to support myself because my parents cannot support me (for various reasons that I'd rather not get into). I'm pretty much independent. I work with day laborers to help pay for school and other bills: moving, delivery, driving, cleaning, small business opportunities, etc...

So my question is:
Assuming I have a competitive MCAT score (I did 32-37 in practices), would my circumstances be enough to offset the penalties set against me because of my ethnicity?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Get your application together and write a good Personal Statement that includes some of the things that you outline above. Don't mention your GPA but mention how you have worked to support yourself and contribute to your family all of your life.

Your ethnicity is not going to help or hurt you in spite of what you read on SDN. Your application is going to stand out because you have worked hard and done your best. Continue to do the best you can especially on your MCAT and in the end, your complete package will get you into medical school.

Every medical school in this country wants students who show evidence that they can complete a very challenging medical school curriculum. You need to be sure that your application does this in spite of your GPA. Your 3.4 is below the average for all matriculants but averages are just that, an average where some folks are above and some are below. There is no "magic" number that ensures admission success but the odds start to drop the further below 3.6 you are and 3.4 is not that far below that the odds will be against you.

No one that I work with in admissions stacks applications according to ethnicity and then evaluates them. All applicants are evaluated against the total applicant pool without regard to ethnicity. Make your application stand out and keep doing well. Your strong work ethic needs to be a strong focus of your application.

I don't know who told you that being Asian would count against you, but you ought to find someone new to get your advice from in the future, because this isn't true. Medical schools do not judge you by a higher standard simply because you are Asian; in fact, Asians make up a disproportionately high number of medical students at many schools relative to their number in the general population. Do as well on the MCAT as you can, assemble the strongest, most well-rounded app that you are capable of putting together, and use the MSAR to choose wisely among schools when it comes time to apply. Best of :luck: to you with your app. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey
Thanks for posting. Sorry I couldn't get reply earlier.

Are you guys sure that race is not a factor in the admissions process? All too many people have told me that Asians, Indians, and (to an extent) Jews face higher expectations from admissions folks. It seems to make sense (in a non-PC way).

I have some questions about the well-rounded application that njbmd was talking about. A guy I know who is currently in medical school told me not to mention my circumstances in my personal statement or the interview because it would make me seem like a person trying to make up excuses for poor grades. He also said that working hard is only a plus for an applicant if it was for a prestigious cause - his example was: a college student getting a C in school because he had to train; then he wins a medal at the Pan-American games. Is this really how the application process works?

Also, my score just came: 32 =/ Coupled with my GPA, that could too risky for me to start applying. But I'm going to start researching schools anyway. By the way, what's the MSAR? Is that like one of those guides to Medical schools that are sold in book stores?

Thanks for all your help.

Jeff

Hey Jeff. A 32 MCAT/3.4 GPA is wonderful!!! Don't let people make you think that you can't even get into chiropratic school. What most schools want are diverse classes; that means diversity in race, age, and experiences. There are 57 married couples in my class of 195! That makes for a pretty diverse class! If you truly feel like your financial status and you have to work as much as you did put you at a disadvantaged, you can indicate that on your AMCAS application. But you race is not going to hold you back. Now if you don't apply logically and you only apply to the top ten medical schools in the United States, then you may be disappointed, because even 4.0 GPA/38 MCAT folks may have trouble getting in those schools. If you are well rounded, meaning that you did something meaningful outside of school, then you should be fine.

As for winning a pan-american race and your grades dropping to a C; that is unacceptible. You would have a hard time getting accepted because apparently, the race was more important than your desire to be a competitive applicant.

I would not put into the Personal Statement: "I only earned a 3.4 GPA because I had to work to support my family". I would emphasize your strong work ethic because it shows that in spite of having to work so hard to support and contribute to your family's survival, you were able to make a decent GPA. Coupled with your MCAT score, good extra-curricular activities, physician shadowing and LORs (one should mention your hard work), you should be able to get into some medical school in this country. Are you going to get into Harvard or Hopkins or any of the privates with a national reputation? Not likely, but your state school may be a good option. At this point, I cannot think of any state medical school that would not be a good choice for education.

In any event, apply broadly and apply as early as possible. With your GPA being a bit below average, you would be the ideal candidate to benefit by an early application. If you apply now, you would be in the later group of applications which MAY decrease your chances. Again, it won't be your ethnicity but it will be your application timing that might work against you if you apply late. Still, if you can get everything together and that application out ASAP, I would still apply broadly this year and see what happens.

This post is silly.....:laugh:

Hey
Thanks for posting. Sorry I couldn't get reply earlier.

Are you guys sure that race is not a factor in the admissions process? All too many people have told me that Asians, Indians, and (to an extent) Jews face higher expectations from admissions folks. It seems to make sense (in a non-PC way).

I have some questions about the well-rounded application that njbmd was talking about. A guy I know who is currently in medical school told me not to mention my circumstances in my personal statement or the interview because it would make me seem like a person trying to make up excuses for poor grades. He also said that working hard is only a plus for an applicant if it was for a prestigious cause - his example was: a college student getting a C in school because he had to train; then he wins a medal at the Pan-American games. Is this really how the application process works?

Also, my score just came: 32 =/ Coupled with my GPA, that could too risky for me to start applying. But I'm going to start researching schools anyway. By the way, what's the MSAR? Is that like one of those guides to Medical schools that are sold in book stores?

Thanks for all your help.

Jeff
Yes, the MSAR is a book that contains info on all American and Canadian medical schools. Do not even think of trying to apply to med school without getting your hands on a copy; it is sold by the AAMC on their website. If you feel like buying it would be a hardship, then you should borrow a copy from your school library or premed advisor. Look through it and make sure that you are choosing schools that will accept residents of your state and where you fit with their mission. Look also at the average stats of students who are accepted to each school and do not pick too many schools where your stats are far below the averages. Best of :luck: to you. :)

Hey all,
Thanks again for all your help. I'm getting more advice from my advisers right now to see how/if/when I should apply. I did get a copy of the MSAR. And you're right, it is useful.

Again, I really appreciate you all taking the time to help answer some the questions that have been bothering me for a while. I wish the best of luck to you in your future pursuits.

Btw, to the one who said that this post is silly ... I agree, it is. Just be glad that these circumstances don't apply to you.:)

Jeff

Hey all,
Thanks again for all your help. I'm getting more advice from my advisers right now to see how/if/when I should apply. I did get a copy of the MSAR. And you're right, it is useful.

Again, I really appreciate you all taking the time to help answer some the questions that have been bothering me for a while. I wish the best of luck to you in your future pursuits.

Btw, to the one who said that this post is silly ... I agree, it is. Just be glad that these circumstances don't apply to you.:)

Jeff

Being asian probably won't count against you, but it wouldn't help you for damn sure, like being black, hispanic, or native american.

Hey all,

So my question is:

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Being Asian won't help you but it probably won't hurt you either. Be proud of who you are. I remember writing an essay for college about growing up on a household income of $15,000 and living in a low-income community and attending inner city schools (the only Asian in a school that was 85%+ black) to demonstrate how far the hardwork of my parents have carried us. It was dismissed by the person critiquing my essay as "just another Asian immigrant story." I was unbelievably insulted that the person would minimize my parents' accomplishments like that but I submitted the essay anyway, got into Cornell, and the rest is history.

guys what is a GPA?