Would presenting a poster at the Columbia undergrad research help medschool app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emlibrary

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would presenting a poster at the Columbia undergraduate research synopsium help my medical school application?

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, how could it not?

Medical Schools like to see that applicants with research experience have a big role in their labs. If you are only in the lab for 6 months, and all you do is count cells, it'll help your app by having "research exp" but they wont be very impressed. Usually having a poster implies a higher degree of involvement with the scientific process so that will look very good to schools.

Just being a lab monkey - "He/she has been in a lab. Lets check that off the list."

Having posters/publications - "Oooh this is actually an interesting research experience. He/she is really doing research!"

Members don't see this ad :)
What if all you do is the former, ie be a lab monkey. The lab that I will be in, in the spring is not a wet lab (at least not for me). I pretty much just follow a post-doc around and do whatever she tells me and I attend a weekly seminar over what we are going to be doing in the lab....

so my question is, would it be better not to put this on my app at all as research experience? I must say that it falls in line with your description of being a lab monkey, and is part of the "checklist", and you mentioned that adcoms will not be impressed

Definitely still put it down. The experience will certainly help your application, just not as much as one that had more depth to it.

What if all you do is the former, ie be a lab monkey. The lab that I will be in, in the spring is not a wet lab (at least not for me). I pretty much just follow a post-doc around and do whatever she tells me and I attend a weekly seminar over what we are going to be doing in the lab....

so my question is, would it be better not to put this on my app at all as research experience? I must say that it falls in line with your description of being a lab monkey, and is part of the "checklist", and you mentioned that adcoms will not be impressed

You can always actively seek out labs where you will have actual hands-on experience. I did, and am very happy with my research experience. I asked professors of mine if they knew of good labs for undergrads, not just for washing dishes. If you're not left with a choice then make the best out of it that you can. It can only help your application right?

To the OP: anything positive that makes you stand out, if even a little bit, is a good thing.

Humm... I heard that presenting at the Columbia undergraduate research synopsium was actually worth -0.5 MCAT points.

Humm... I heard that presenting at the Columbia undergraduate research synopsium was actually worth -0.5 MCAT points.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to confirm. I heard rumors that it was actually -0.75, so I was freaking out...