Would this be an appropriate addendum for my SOPHAS app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WHOdriscoll91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In total I have 4 Ws, one from a corresponding lab class, and I feel as if I'd be better off explaining them in the addendum instead of my Personal Statements. They are all from pre-med reqs and semester when I took these classes the grades in my other classes suffered. As a person who is genuinely interested in Public Health I am afraid my application will be construed as a pre-med who couldn't get into med school. In reality ever since I moved on from my pre-med phase I have received all As, about 3 semesters worth, and have made significant in-roads with a career in public health. So do you think an addendum is necessary? Should I explain in in my personal statement? I'm trying to avoid re-hashing the pressure of parents and my own naivete, which takes up valuable words in the 500 word limit essays.

In short:

When is it worth it to add an addendum?

Members don't see this ad.

I think an addendum is only worth it if there were extreme circumstances affecting your ability to perform in your classes. I don't know that this case would warrant an addendum. Honestly, unless your GPA severely suffered, you did poorly on your GRE, AND you have basically no ECs, I wouldn't really worry about a couple poor grades. An MPH is a professional degree, so they aren't going to immediately disqualify you based on your grades. They are going to want to see that you are passionate about public health and have some experience in the field.