Would you do medicine all over again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NonTradJp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a topic I'm sure has been covered and debated. It's one of those questions that can only be answered after it is done and at the same time it is such a big decision that it cannot be undone. What I often read is that it is not worth it because of all the work, the lost of good years, the decreased respect, the overbearing administrative load, and the crushing debt. If that's true, does that mean the work and people are not worth it? I mean other fields also have one for more of those factors. Maybe not all of them but they have other negative factors medicine does not have as well. Is there more than the above or is the combination above so powerful that it is enough to make so many physicians say no more and even more to advise others against it? (I think the medscape survey had something around 50% would not do it again and 70% advise against it for their children a couple of years back.)

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

I am asking because I am curious based on medscape and some negativity I read here on the forums, particularly the specialty forums.

Personally I'm pre-medical so I am not qualified to answer this question myself. Also, I am interested in medicine thus this question is applicable to me. I graduated from undergrad nearly a decade a go and have worked in various jobs. Besides my passion for people and my personal desire to serve others in a medical perspective, I also recognize that there are many issues with work and profession in general that seems to overlap with some of the complaints I read in medicine. I am curious how medicine is different. I believe one is most productive doing what one is passionate about if they are blessed with such an opportunity. Therefore, I am also interested in knowing why so many would not consider medicine again when they considered it before.

Yeah, I'll do the medicine again, gotta get rid of these hemoRoids.

What I often read is that it is not worth it because of all the work
Those are betas talking.
the lost of good years
Non-trad for the win! I chose it and it chose me. Don't get tunnel vision, live your life to the fullest, don't buried it with books; medical school will always be there. I'm guessing you are doing something right (having a family), if that is your kid in the pic.
the decreased respect, the overbearing administrative load
I pitty the fool who doesn't respect a doctor! Dude, I don't know where you heard that from, last time I check people will always respect a doctor, that is if they love them or hate them (nurses).
and the crushing debt.
You and I wouldn't be the first ones who have to pay debt. Physicians still have good salaries compare to other careers out there. Just gotta look at the bright side of things.

Medscape gets weird docs sometimes answering their surveys. :p jp
a08ee9d4834e88d09a851832ba9e01bf.png

Reactions: 3 users
This is a topic I'm sure has been covered and debated.What do you think?

Covered and debated is an understatement. I'm willing to accept the difficulties that accompany any physician, and that's really all that matters at this point.

What's a betas and maybe the ones that complain have a very different perspective of what is good than those that are coming into the field now.

If you're sure it's been covered and debated, how come you had to post a new thread instead of just reading the old coverage and debates?

i.e., :troll:

I feel like everyone in my family has tried to discourage me from medicine. Oh, the government, the lawsuits, blah blah blah.. Screw it. I love the science of medicine and I love the ability to care for people and those reasons alone have made it impossible to sway me away from medicine. Do you love it or do you not? Not doing it because of a few inconveniences, even though you love it, would be selling yourself short.

If you're sure it's been covered and debated, how come you had to post a new thread instead of just reading the old coverage and debates?

i.e., :troll:
Not trolling. I just want fresh perspectives. I summarized what I read above in the OP anyways. What I cannot get from those threads is where people are coming from.

There is always something to complain about if you want to complain. But if you have things you value, prioritizing that allows you to see the good that can come out of your decisions. Yet 50% or more of doctors surveyed stating they would not do medicine again is a lot. Is that human nature or particular subsets of physicians.

Last edited:
I guess I should add that I come from an impoverished and difficult background. However, through hard work and a wonderful wife life worked out. We have nice careers and a joyful family. Yet something still drew me to explore medicine. Which would mean starting over, giving up what we have, and doing it with new debt, young children, and new culture. And at the same time I am excited looking forward. So I want to understand the other side and why is it so different from my experience.

Reactions: 1 user