Would you go to an interview in this situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxinabox90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope everyone is doing well! December 1st will be here before we know it :)

I'm having a dilemma as to whether to attend my interview at Western U on November 5th. I don't have a lot of money currently and can barely pay bills as it is. I feel like my interviews at Detroit Mercy and Nova went pretty well, but it makes me nervous to skip out on an interview because you can never be too sure about what a school thinks about you.

While traveling and attending the interview would definitely be an investment in my future, I'm unsure if it would be worth the money at this point. My parents don't have a lot of money so I've had to finance this whole application endeavor myself. I could expect $500-600 to go to the Western interview.

I'm a Michigan resident and still haven't heard anything regarding interviews, rejections, or waitlists from any of the public schools I applied to (Michigan, UNC, Colorado, UCSF, UF).

What would you do in this situation? Would you go to the interview or would you cross your fingers that Mercy or Nova accepts you and hope that you also get an interview with a state school?

Stats: 24AA 20PAT 3.45cGPA 3.40sGPA. ~100 hours shadowing. ~30 hours volunteering. EMT license and 10 months experience as a phlebotomist.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd still go. I wouldn't want any "What ifs" come December 1st.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd still go. I wouldn't want any "What ifs" come December 1st.

This is true. I would feel devastated given the amount of time, effort, and money I've put into this if I didn't get accepted... I'm just in so much debt already that it makes it a difficult decision.

Reactions: 1 users
This is true. I would feel devastated given the amount of time, effort, and money I've put into this if I didn't get accepted... I'm just in so much debt already that it makes it a difficult decision.

Find the cheapest flight, AirBnB. Remember, it'll all be worth it in the end. I know Spirit has some decent random deals. Good luck!

.... just wait until you start dental school.

In the grand scheme of things, $500-600 is nothing compared to the lost earnings potential coupled with having to potentially reapply all over again if you were not accepted this cycle.

Edit: I realized I never said what I would do. I would undoubtedly attend the interview.

Reactions: 5 users
LOL sorry but a really dumb question...

I'm just weighing my options. Maybe you would understand if you've been living paycheck to paycheck for the last 2 years

Reactions: 11 users
I'm just weighing my options. Maybe you would understand if you've been living paycheck to paycheck for the last 2 years
Not a dumb question at all. I PERSONALLY probably would not go if I felt confident after my other interviews, and if I preferred the other schools. But i think the best advice is for you to definitely go!

greyhound

I would go as well, but if it's not possible, then it's not possible! Good luck!

I would definitely go..to be realistic. I would not base my future on gut-feeling as I feel my first two interviews went really well, too (but nothing is guaranteed).

I had nova as well, but even with an interview our chances of acceptance is still only about 20% after interview :/

Borrow the money and do what you have to do, bc just in case you don't get in this cycle, this 500-600 is nothing compared to how much you're gonna end up spending if you were to apply again next cycle, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Flight would cost the most tbh, and then Airbnb followed by the Uber. You can get $20 off your first ride so technically your ride situation is covered. I just checked airbnb for Pomona on Nov 5th, cheap houses are about $40 a night so food and drive and housing should be about $150 max. I would figure out the flight issue, maybe sign up for a flyers card that gives a rebate and then go to your interview. Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
And this is a really silly comment. This question definitely isn't stupid. Personally I would still go, but it's hard to see more negatives on the bills.

I would go. As everyone else has continually said in this thread. $600 may seem like a lot right now, but if you don't get accepted you would have lost much more, plus you would lose another year, and that's also a year lost of potential dentist income.

If you don't have the cash at the moment, ask as many people for the cash. I'm sure they'd understand for such an opportunity.

If it is the only dschool you get accepted to, would you attend it?
If yes, then I would go.

P.S. This is not a dumb question at all.

Go. You'll be hundreds of thousands of $ in debt when its all said and done anyhow. This is the biggest investment you're ever going to make in life. Make a go-fund me page!

I appreciate everyone's input! Even though I'll be super broke after taking the trip, I'm going to suck it up and go to the interview. Like everyone said, I don't want to have to deal with any "what ifs"

Reactions: 4 users
Not a dumb question at all. I know it can be difficult, sometimes we just need to weigh things and see what's more important. I'd say we can all give you our takes on it but only you know what you can afford. Ideally when I apply to a school I should commit to that school's app and interview costs until I am rejected. Otherwise I wouldnt have applied there to begin with. So I would have decided this on the day I would be choosing the schools to apply. And I know things change as we get close to interviews. Good luck my friend, I'm sure you'll decide what's best for you! Good luck everyone! Stay positive!

I would definitely go..to be realistic. I would not base my future on gut-feeling as I feel my first two interviews went really well, too (but nothing is guaranteed).

I had nova as well, but even with an interview our chances of acceptance is still only about 20% after interview :/

Borrow the money and do what you have to do, bc just in case you don't get in this cycle, this 500-600 is nothing compared to how much you're gonna end up spending if you were to apply again next cycle, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you for sharing this. I have been trying to find a reliable source with this info. Would you mind sharing the source of information you used to get this data?

Glad you made the right choice. 2 interviews is certainly not enough to bank on.

I've been able to save 17 dollars off almost any flight and hotel that you can find through the major sources.

PM me with your email address and I can elaborate.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this. I have been trying to find a reliable source with this info. Would you mind sharing the source of information you used to get this data?
It's on the ADEA guide book.

I also had to fly a lot lately and I saved a lot of money by looking for tickets through Google Flights.