Would you graduate early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcc4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,
Wanted your opinion on the following situation. Would you graduate 1 semester early if you could during the year of the application cycle and the semester before vet school begins? I would have enough requirements to apply to a handful of schools (which happen to be the ones I want to go to most). I am leaning toward taking the time off and getting fully energized before vet school and to travel. But, then again there is the flip side that I may not get into vet school and thus, would not have done anything productive. So my question is, would you stay in school and take more pre-reqs in the event that you do not get in the first time? I would feel pretty anxious if I did not get in and then had to take more classes at another institution to meet more schools pre-reqs for the second application. I know this is a very scenario- and person- dependent question but I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially those that have been through this process.

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated a semester early, and I think it was a really good decision. I didn't have a reason to stay for another semester after completing everything for my degree and all the pre-reqs I needed that were offered. It also saved me a semester's worth of tuition/books/etc. I have been taking time off to relax and enjoy my final few months in AZ with my friends before I return home for the summer. I'm also taking this time to finish up one final pre-req online that the school I will be attending requires. If you didn't get in, you could use that time to really focus on what you need to improve on. If you have all of your pre-reqs/have decent grades in them, you shouldn't have to worry about having to take more classes. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

I would still have the possibility to take more pre-reqs for schools I'm not applying to (i.e. microbio lab, speech). Thank you for sharing! I appreciate it. It sounds like it was a good solution for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was part of the class of 2013 and graduated a semester early in December 2012. I would not have been able to pay for another semester without taking major loans if I hadn't. Saved me money as well for what I would have spent on books and everything else that semester. I used the time off from school to earn money for vet school and continue to get experience. I took some time off to go back to my undergrad and spend time with my friends and I went back and walked at commencement with my class as well as do the whole senior week thing. I didn't get into vet school that cycle so I just continued to do what I had done my semester off - working at my grocery store job and getting experience at the local animal hospital on my days off. For me it worked out.

I just graduated in December and I love having this semester off! It has given me a chance to work more while not having to worry about homework and classes. Plus, I plan on traveling this summer, so I am also leaving my job in the next month or so in order to enjoy that time. I recommend doing whatever feels best to you, but saving the costs of books and tuition would be a bonus.

If it will save you money, do it.

Absolutely do it.

Save money.
Store up energy.
An opportunity to do stuff you may never be able to do (so easily) again (most summers will be vet related in school).

I could have graduated a year early and didn't do it…. big mistake..

If I could have graduated early, I would have done so.

One thing to keep in mind though that I have not seen mentioned yet. If you have any school loans for your undergrad years, those will need to be start being paid on 6 months after you leave school. So, keep in mind that you could have to pay on those if you do graduate a semester early.

I could of graduated last spring, instead I took a semester off and applied for this year. I didn't get in this year, but since I hadn't graduated yet I was able to retake two of my classes and have my new grades replace the old grades.

If I would have graduated I couldn't have had my grades replaced which was part of my back up plan. I would find out what your schools policy is on retakes ( assuming you don't get in next cycle and have classes you could retake).

That semester off helped me to increase my vet hours and make some money. It also helped me realize being a vet is definitely what I want to do. So if you have the chance to graduate early I say go for it.

Also DVMDream has a good point about student loan repayment.