would you hire a reservist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsckvc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you in a position to hire in a private practice or an academic institution, would you look unfavorably on an applicant for a staff position in your practice or institution if they where in the Navy reserves. Drilling is not a very big deal, as it would not really get in the way of business due to the flex option, but what about hiring someone that could potentially be deployed for 6-12 months. Please be brutally honest

I am separating from active duty and starting a civilian anesthesia residency. I keep going back and forth with the reserve thing. The big issue is deployments, potentially every few years and how it will affect my job search and my family. I want to cut the cord completely but for some reason the reserves keep coming up in my thoughts as I pack up my office and get ready leave this military life behind.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you in a position to hire in a private practice or an academic institution, would you look unfavorably on an applicant for a staff position in your practice or institution if they where in the Navy reserves. Drilling is not a very big deal, as it would not really get in the way of business due to the flex option, but what about hiring someone that could potentially be deployed for 6-12 months. Please be brutally honest

I am separating from active duty and starting a civilian anesthesia residency. I keep going back and forth with the reserve thing. The big issue is deployments, potentially every few years and how it will affect my job search and my family. I want to cut the cord completely but for some reason the reserves keep coming up in my thoughts as I pack up my office and get ready leave this military life behind.

I'm not in a position to hire, but I can comment reassuringly about the academic setting. One of our attendings is in the Army Reserves, as well as one of the CRNAs. It does not really result in undue burden, because the attending is also out of the OR occasionally serving as an intensivist. So the group has kind of adjusted around his presence/absence.

I also know one of my friends from residency is in an academic setting in Louisiana -- I forget which institution. Before he left he signed up for the Navy Reserves. Whether he is still in the reserves now or not, I don't know. But he was when he moved back to Louisiana.

Just make sure the group knows what they are getting into in the beginning. Nobody likes surprises. You wouldn't necessarily have to even bring up the topic at an interview, but make sure your active reserve status is clearly listed on your application.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Just make sure the group knows what they are getting into in the beginning. Nobody likes surprises. You wouldn't necessarily have to even bring up the topic at an interview, but make sure your active reserve status is clearly listed on your application..

That's actually a really good idea. As someone who is switching careers and constantly keeping two worlds WELL apart (I'm 37 y/o), why don't you put together a real world application experiment?

Send 6-10 CVs out. 1/2 list RESERVE STATUS and 1/2 don't. Try to apply broadly, but without burning any places you really want to apply to with the RESERVE STATUS batch. If you get bupkis from reserve status, you might have a very pertinent real world answer. Other factors not excluded of course. At least you'll have a sense of whether or not this is a true red flag. You will be able to get that answer in a week or two I bet. This way you can make that difficult decision in the know.

Oh, and thanks for serving!!!!

D712

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would have to do with the size of the group you're looking at. If they're tightly staffed, that's going to hurt them badly. If you join a big group, they'll be able to cover you more easily.

That's actually a really good idea. As someone who is switching careers and constantly keeping two worlds WELL apart (I'm 37 y/o), why don't you put together a real world application experiment?

Send 6-10 CVs out. 1/2 list RESERVE STATUS and 1/2 don't. Try to apply broadly, but without burning any places you really want to apply to with the RESERVE STATUS batch. If you get bupkis from reserve status, you might have a very pertinent real world answer. Other factors not excluded of course. At least you'll have a sense of whether or not this is a true red flag. You will be able to get that answer in a week or two I bet. This way you can make that difficult decision in the know.

Oh, and thanks for serving!!!!

D712

Not listing your reserve affiliation could be considered along the same lines as intentionally not listing a previous employment on a job application. I would recommend always listing your affiliation; being open and honest up-front is always the best road to travel.

The law covering reservists in the civilian workplace is very expansive. Here are several presentations of essentially the same information; some in Q+A format, some in Highlights for Employers, and some in technical US legalese.

http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/userra.htm

and

http://esgr.org/site/USERRA/USERRAFAQ/tabid/94/Default.aspx

and

http://www.esgr.org/files/factsheet/FactSheet_QA_FS.pdf

and

http://www.dol.gov/vets/usc/vpl/usc38.htm

and

http://esgr.org/site/Resources/FAQforEmployers.aspx

Speaking from first-hand experience of blatant discrimination and retaliation in the civilian workplace from TWO DIFFERENT EMPLOYERS (while I was deployed downrange, since THEY had never raised their right hand themselves) I can state that the Department of Labor and Department of Justice do not look favorably on civilian employers who discriminate. Neither do the courts. Unless the potential civilian employer had their head up their colon on 9/11, or just doesn't care, a significant portion of the present-day world has Western civilization and especially the US in their crosshairs. To those civilian employers who grumble about juggling the demands of a reservist employee (and I do acknowledge those demands as being onerous) I offer an alternative: raise your right hand and walk a mile (actually, force-march about 10 miles) in my boots.

Last edited:
Not listing your reserve affiliation could be considered along the same lines as intentionally not listing a previous employment on a job application. I would recommend always listing your affiliation; being open and honest up-front is always the best road to travel.

The law covering reservists in the civilian workplace is very expansive. Here are several presentations of essentially the same information; some in Q+A format, some in Highlights for Employers, and some in technical US legalese.

http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/userra.htm

and

http://esgr.org/site/USERRA/USERRAFAQ/tabid/94/Default.aspx

and

http://www.esgr.org/files/factsheet/FactSheet_QA_FS.pdf

and

http://www.dol.gov/vets/usc/vpl/usc38.htm

and

http://esgr.org/site/Resources/FAQforEmployers.aspx

Speaking from first-hand experience of blatant discrimination and retaliation in the civilian workplace from TWO DIFFERENT EMPLOYERS (while I was deployed downrange, since THEY had never raised their right hand themselves) I can state that the Department of Labor and Department of Justice do not look favorably on civilian employers who discriminate. Neither do the courts. Unless the potential civilian employer had their head up their colon on 9/11, or just doesn't care, a significant portion of the present-day world has Western civilization and especially the US in their crosshairs. To those civilian employers who grumble about juggling the demands of a reservist employee (and I do acknowledge those demands as being onerous) I offer an alternative: raise your right hand and walk a mile (actually, force-march about 10 miles) in my boots.

Trinity,

Absolutely, I would not suggest misleading a future employer. I simply meant to gauge whether employers really would respond or not to his status so OP could have more info to decide whether or not to stay Reserve or not. However, my plan of action did not take into account those employers who would see the CV without Reserve Status and ask for an interview. :rolleyes: Didn't think that far ahead. :)

Further, and I'm not sure how to deal with this, those employers who discriminate by passing OP's CV over into the round file bin, and move onto the next anesthesiologist in the stack of apps...how can you prove or prevent that? Ever? I could see action against an employer where you are already employed, and problems arise due to Status, but when you are cold-sending resumes, and I hate to say it, some will just pass you over to avoid the headache. Shame on them, but it's a reality. Wish there was a way around that. On the other hand, my sister and her husband were both active duty shortly after 9/11, and all her present, future and old employers were VERY supportive. It's nice to know there are still people who appreciate what you guys do and are willing to figure out how to cover a weekend a month with another MD etc.

Wishing the OP much success and thanks for those links Trinity!

D712

I'd preferentially hire one.

Further, and I'm not sure how to deal with this, those employers who discriminate by passing OP's CV over into the round file bin, and move onto the next anesthesiologist in the stack of apps...how can you prove or prevent that? Ever? I could see action against an employer where you are already employed, and problems arise due to Status, but when you are cold-sending resumes, and I hate to say it, some will just pass you over to avoid the headache.

Very astute observation and question.

Technically it's against the law.

In reality it's very difficult to prove unless the would-be civilian employer makes some incredibly dumb mistakes.

The flip side to that question is this -

Would you as a reservist, want a job where you're splitting q4 call with three other anesthesiologists, where you know your inevitable extended absence will cause hardships for the group you're now a part of?

I plan on making a clean break from the military when my time is up, but on the off chance I stay in the reserves, I won't be looking to join groups that are so small that my inevitable deployment would hurt my new colleagues. To do so just seems selfish and rude. And I certainly wouldn't be anything other than 100% upfront about my reserve status; if they freely choose to accept that risk and burden fine, but I don't think they should be obligated to accept it or not consider my reserve status, whatever the law says.

This issue is not unlike the female anesthesiologist who chooses to take repeated and extended maternity leave and then is upset that she doesn't get the same consideration for partnership.

Like motherhood, the military is a noble calling, but those of us who go downrange shouldn't pretend we're the only ones paying for it or making sacrifices.

Well, you're a smart man for getting out of active duty. Why.. because as an anesthesiologist currently in the military I see myself taking it in the ass on a daily basis. Not only am I taking a 50%+ paycut but over 1/3 of my income is based on bonuses that require me waiting for approval by congress. I get to spend 7+ months in Afghanistan risking my life and limb but am not able to find disability insurance that will cover me as the military's disability is a joke. I get to spend enormous amounts of time waiting in base traffic, jumping through bull**** administrative hurdles, doing stupid online courses, admistrative work that should be done by a frickin secretary but why not just have us do it. The military system is broke. Computer access with labs, outpatient records, and inpatient records being in three different systems. Our charts don't even have an H+P. Thank god 99% of these patients are healthy. My advice to you is stay as far away from the military as possible. Suck up those years in residency because inevitably the military will get their fare share of your ass, and when you go from 300000+ to peanuts away from your family with no frickin insurance to back you up you'll regret your decision like I do now.

Well, you're a smart man for getting out of active duty. Why.. because as an anesthesiologist currently in the military I see myself taking it in the ass on a daily basis. Not only am I taking a 50%+ paycut but over 1/3 of my income is based on bonuses that require me waiting for approval by congress. I get to spend 7+ months in Afghanistan risking my life and limb but am not able to find disability insurance that will cover me as the military's disability is a joke. I get to spend enormous amounts of time waiting in base traffic, jumping through bull**** administrative hurdles, doing stupid online courses, admistrative work that should be done by a frickin secretary but why not just have us do it. The military system is broke. Computer access with labs, outpatient records, and inpatient records being in three different systems. Our charts don't even have an H+P. Thank god 99% of these patients are healthy. My advice to you is stay as far away from the military as possible. Suck up those years in residency because inevitably the military will get their fare share of your ass, and when you go from 300000+ to peanuts away from your family with no frickin insurance to back you up you'll regret your decision like I do now.

Surely you jest! You mean to tell me that you don't get a warm, fulfilled, satisfied feeling from head to toe after completing TIP, IA, all the GMTs, etc.? +pissed+

Seriously, i could spend 24 hours straight complaining about the military's bull****. I tore my hamstring 7 months ago at ODS because some dip**** chief had us doing sprints the day after a PRT. Now everytime I run my hamstring hurts. The new department head would only pay for me to go to a board review course or a cme conference but not both even though people had them both paid for in previous years. Oh and to add some more stress to my life he tells me I'm deploying two weeks before my exam. Needless to say I fail the ****ing thing. And, now I've got a mound full of predeployment crap to do. Oh by the way, we forgot to have you do C4 training so were going to throw that pile of garbage on your list before you start your deployment training in July. THANK YOU NAVY MEDICINE!!! MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!!!