Would you let your parents help you with rent in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jc235693

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am trying to find an apartment for school next year. Right now there are two apartments that I am strongly considering. The first is a tiny studio, I would be able to afford this on my own with my MD/PhD stipend. The second is a bigger 1 bedroom apartment. It's not extravagant but would cost almost $200 more a month than the studio. I couldn't afford this on my own but my parents really want me to get the 1 bedroom and want to give me the difference in rent between the two apartments so that I could live there. I am not sure if I want to have to rely on my parents though. My question is how do you feel about continuing to have your parents help you financially through med school? Would you consider someone still getting assistance spoiled or immature?

Members don't see this ad.

I see absolutely no reason why getting help from one's parents should make him spoiled or immature. Take the money and never look back, you've got enough to worry about without the financial distress.

No, I wouldn't. But that's because my mother doesn't have much to give and will already be working into her seventies before she can retire. She's given more than enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am trying to find an apartment for school next year. Right now there are two apartments that I am strongly considering. The first is a tiny studio, I would be able to afford this on my own with my MD/PhD stipend. The second is a bigger 1 bedroom apartment. It's not extravagant but would cost almost $200 more a month than the studio. I couldn't afford this on my own but my parents really want me to get the 1 bedroom and want to give me the difference in rent between the two apartments so that I could live there. I am not sure if I want to have to rely on my parents though. My question is how do you feel about continuing to have your parents help you financially through med school? Would you consider someone still getting assistance spoiled or immature?

It depends. Once you're a big shot double-doctor, will you take care of your parents? If the answer to that is yes, than there is no harm in taking this small amount of money from them. It will probably make them feel good; that they are contributing to you becoming a doctor.

Nothing wrong with your parents helping you out in this. Especially since you'd be paying for the majority of it still.

I think it entirely depends on how well off your parents are. By med school or grad school, they shouldn't have to be making major sacrifices in their own lives to continue supporting you. But if they have the means to support you (regardless of whether that means paying a portion of your living expenses or by paying full tuition and expenses) without really impacting their own standard of living and financial security, you'd be stupid not to accept the offer.

I think it entirely depends on how well off your parents are. By med school or grad school, they shouldn't have to be making major sacrifices in their own lives to continue supporting you. But if they have the means to support you (regardless of whether that means paying a portion of your living expenses or by paying full tuition and expenses) without really impacting their own standard of living and financial security, you'd be stupid not to accept the offer.

I agree. :thumbup:

+2 :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks for the input everyone. Yeah I would feel terrible and wouldn't do it if it meant my parents would be making significant sacrifices. The case however is that it wouldn't be much of a burden on them, they are actually the ones pushing for it and I have been hesitant to accept.

Keep in mind too that by the time you're a doctor you'll ideally have the financial resources to return the favor and help them out when they need it. So long as you're not obliterating your parents' standard of living its better to owe them, than owe interest on a student loan.

You'll owe them about $10000 in the end (if you want to pay it back; parents never charge interest ;)). I'd take it since they're advocating for it. Buy them a car or nice vacation in the future. Done.

First of all, no one would know your parents were helping you out unless you told them. So, who cares if others think this is "immature"? I agree that if it is not a hardship for your folks go for the nice apartment because, as other posters have said, you can always pay it back later.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Pass the money along. I will thank your parents on your behalf! :D
But seriously, Go for it! And make sure you reciprocate the favor when you become a doc! :thumbup:

Who cares? Why does it matter if people consider you spoiled or immature? Don't worry what people think about you. If they offered to help, let them help you.

if i get in my instate medical school my total tuition will be 50000 TOTAL for 4 years (thats instate + my dad's employee benefits); my parents told me just take out a loan for the tuition, study hard, and we will make sure you dont have to worry about food/rent. I agree with above, if your parents are offering and is not in financial stress, there is no need to pay everything by yourself

As long as it is not a hardship for them, take the help. Then, help them when they need it in their old age, and make sufficient financial plans to help your children in their lives. Being part of a family that takes care of each other is nothing to be ashamed of.

Yes, I would definitely take the help. It doesn't seem immature to me; it seems like a good idea. I wouldn't beg for money, but if they're offering and have the cash...

I wish my parents offered/able to pay for college.... I'm starting school next year and they can't even afford public school's price.

But thanks to FA and good grades I was able to get some help for post secondary school next year. Than once uni hits I'm not sure how I'm gonna go about it. one step at a time I guess. It's very likely that next year I'm gonna be pulling crazy shifts as an LPN to be able to pay other expenses like car insurance, gas, bills etc I'm only 19 but I feel too darn old haha

OP, If I was in your position and my parents were able to help, I would take it. But like others have said I wouldn't if they have to make a big sacrifice on their part to help. :)

:luck:

If they can afford to help you, why not?

Would you consider someone still getting assistance spoiled or immature?

Nope. I don't see how having rich mom and dad (well, maybe well off?) = spoiled or immature. Spoiled to me means unappreciative of what you have. Based on creating this thread, that is not the case with you.

I actually made a comment to one of my profs about how I want to be done with school because I think it's sad that at my age, I'm not on my own. She laughed and said all of her children are older than me and she's supporting all of them.

Wait until you get married. You will gladly accept all financial handouts.

You'll owe them about $10000 in the end (if you want to pay it back; parents never charge interest ;)). I'd take it since they're advocating for it. Buy them a car or nice vacation in the future. Done.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

What if your parents can afford to help you but choose not to? :rolleyes:

This weekend
Mom: your dad is thinking about buying a BMW racecar, but I just don't see how he'll have time for a new hobby.
Me: oh, wow, well if he wants he can always help me out with my credit card debt. It's hard paying off all those application fees.
Mom: Oh no! We don't have any extra! He'll have to sell the boat for the car, it'll come out even...
Me: *almost feels like crying*

Nothing is wrong with taking money from your parents for med school...

just know that you are less all those who did it on their own.

Me on the other hand most likely will have my Uncle Sam pay for med school and living costs.... only thing is that he wants me to work for him for a few years after to cover the cost.

Nothing is wrong with taking money from your parents for med school...

just know that you are less all those who did it on their own.

Me on the other hand most likely will have my Uncle Sam pay for med school and living costs.... only thing is that he wants me to work for him for a few years after to cover the cost.

HPSP or FAP? I am considering it too but it really depends on what school I get into

HPSP or FAP? I am considering it too but it really depends on what school I get into

HPSP; I just had a meeting with a health recruiter yesterday.

The military forum is scaring me away from doing it.... but the recruiter gave me a hat and "golf towels" yesterday so I think I'm back in.

Seriously though.... the military seems like a great way to go. I would definitely do it if it was just me, but I have a GF I am planning on marrying this summer. I don't what to get her involved in something she'll hate.

Another one of my concerns is how prepared will I be to enter the civilian world after I'm done.

What are your thoughts? (feel free to PM me instead of replying here)

Probably closer to $20k seeing how he's MD/PhD;)

Yes but then again I come from a culture where parents typically pay for their kids medical/graduate school education, no strings attached (srs) (yes indian)