would you rather apply for per diem hoping to get PD or FT job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ineeddrug

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated last year and currently a floater at retail. (full timer)
My sup gave me option either to float or to be a manager.. and I chose to be a floater hoping that I get staff job in 1-2 years.

But as you all know, job market is tight and no staff opening so far..

Being a floater is not too nice. only get 3-4 days shift a week. sometimes only 2 days.
and I have a family too.

Here is my question.
Is it a good idea to apply for Kaiser's Per diem job..? Hoping that I can get part-time or full-time later?
How's Kaiser per diem job? always late shift (I get late shift anyways now)? short notice?

Does Kaiser's per diem stay as per diem forever? or can be promoted to PT or FT?

Please give me any advice.. thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It's been my experience that many hospitals will hire per diem/part time as sort of a trial for a new employee. I've had per diem gigs try to hire me on full-time after proving myself. In fact, my current job originally started out as "part time", although I worked 40 hours per week and was promoted to full-time after my probationary period.

Although you never can tell. Sometimes PRN is simply PRN.

i admit i'm a bit biased because i'm leaving the field, but floating is probably the best job ever (esp if you're under 26 and don't have to buy insurance). inflated hourly wage, paid travel expenses, basically zero responsibility beyond not letting the store burn down while you're covering, it's the best

Members don't see this ad :)
i admit i'm a bit biased because i'm leaving the field, but floating is probably the best job ever (esp if you're under 26 and don't have to buy insurance). inflated hourly wage, paid travel expenses, basically zero responsibility beyond not letting the store burn down while you're covering, it's the best

Yes honestly...people like to put the blame on floaters and stuff but I also feel like it's the best job in retail. If you can get a floating schedule that is stable between 2-3 stores that's even better. Floating is actually the best job in town; you don't have to deal with all the shenanigans at the store like MTM and all the other bull**** they want.

when I worked per diem for CVS my DM actually said my job as a floater is "to make sure the store doesn't burn down, anything more than that is gravy" Then he left for a PBM job and a not so nice person took over. So I left.

I'm floating, in more ways than one.