would you recommend a blackberry for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Polarbear85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So, my cell phone is ready for the upgrade and I was wondering which would be the best phone to buy. I am starting dental school this fall and don't want something too expensive since I'll be paying the phone bill with my loans. I was looking into the blackberry from verizon and it comes out tobe about $85 per month including the internet. I wonder if it's worth spending that much money while you're in school.
Which phone would you recommend (to keep track of the patient schedule etc)? I understand we won't need that feature until the third year but I would probably just keep the same phone for all 4 years.
Thanks everyone and hope everybody's having a great time!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well since you won't need it till third year, get a cheaper phone now and upgrade in 2 years (when you're eligible again) to the blackberry. Might as well wait so you have the new tech when you actually need it, and who knows plan prices might come down by then.

I know the BB is nice (I want one myself) but I don't need it so I can't justify spending the extra cost per month on something that doesn't have to be that expensive.

Lol. I have a blackberry and love it. But to buy it as an expense to dental school is funny imho. What are you going to do with it? Get emails from the prof the minute he sends it out? Just saying there's not really a need for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would recommend a blackberry just for normal life. it is an awesome phone.

BB messenger!!!!!!!!

Hi all,

So, my cell phone is ready for the upgrade and I was wondering which would be the best phone to buy. I am starting dental school this fall and don't want something too expensive since I'll be paying the phone bill with my loans. I was looking into the blackberry from verizon and it comes out tobe about $85 per month including the internet. I wonder if it's worth spending that much money while you're in school.
Which phone would you recommend (to keep track of the patient schedule etc)? I understand we won't need that feature until the third year but I would probably just keep the same phone for all 4 years.

It's a good idea to ask some dental students from your school what service (AT&T, t-mobile) is working the best and based on that look for a phone.

you'll be amazed at how much the blackberry can do other than just email and such. i love mine and it has done wonders to help keep me organized!

ps, get insurance on it :)

While I would agree its not necessary, it is a convenience I don't know how I would get along without. Our class set up a google calendar with everything we need to know from test dates to where we need to be and when. I downloaded this to my BB and it updates automatically. I think most smart phones can do this. Also, we get so many emails, its nice to be able to check and delete them from the phone.

There are a ton of other things you can do as well. Its worth the extra coin imo.

It's a good idea to ask some dental students from your school what service (AT&T, t-mobile) is working the best and based on that look for a phone.

speaking of this, anyone know what service carrier works the best in Boston? How is AT&T in Boston?

I'd recommend an Iphone too. I have really cool dental applications on the phone. I get hotmail, and gmail, and stay in touch with my huge family. True you may not use it much for social things, but comes in handy when getting organized and using the internet for quick reference.....

I saw on CNN that Apple is lowering the Iphone to $99 this June, and will sale a newer one much faster with video recording and all.

Just my 2 cents...

I'd recommend an Iphone too. I have really cool dental applications on the phone. I get hotmail, and gmail, and stay in touch with my huge family. True you may not use it much for social things, but comes in handy when getting organized and using the internet for quick reference.....

I saw on CNN that Apple is lowering the Iphone to $99 this June, and will sale a newer one much faster with video recording and all.

Just my 2 cents...

You can get video recording with the current one, and it is already $99, (refurbished) 8GB. Few days ago it was $49.99 on at&t.com!

I'm interested in getting an iphone for dental school. I know there are ways to get one cheaper than full price, it's the monthly service charges that seem a little to much to swallow. Does anyone really think that it's worth the monthly price?

I'm interested in getting an iphone for dental school. I know there are ways to get one cheaper than full price, it's the monthly service charges that seem a little to much to swallow. Does anyone really think that it's worth the monthly price?

1. Buy a used 2G iPhone (the older version) off of eBay or Criagslist.
2. Jailbreak it.
3. Download a program called "boss pref". Turn off data connection (edge) on the phone. The phone constantly uses data for background applications such as weather, stock, etc. This will completely turn of its ability to connect to at&t's data service. There are tons of websites that show how to turn off data connection.
4. Now you have an phone with text messaging capability (text messaging does no require data), iPod, and a web browser that uses only wifi connection for internet.

Also with the 2G iPhone the required data plan is for $20/month. Which includes unlimited data and 200 Text messages. But the 2G iPhone is only capable of using EDGE connection not the faster 3G. So your internet will be 3-4x slower compared to 3G speed. But you will have internet.

Last edited:
speaking of this, anyone know what service carrier works the best in Boston? How is AT&T in Boston?

According to Consumer Reports, verizon has the best service in the Northeast area. myself? i have sprint which has worked fine for me. sprint's data plans are much cheaper than any other cell phone providers. if you decide to switch to sprint, the palm pre is coming out soon and might be about $199 with a new contract. some websites have touted it as the iphone eqivalent or better in some aspects (has a full touch screen with a slide out hard-key keyboard, curves to your face and is still not thick even with the slideout).

but at&t, i'm sure it will work fine. i have friends on all the major companies and the only real difference i've noticed between us is the amount we pay on the monthly bills.

Hi all,

To save some money, you get a Nokia E71. Its similar to a BB and because its not offered by at&t you don't have to pay for the BB plan.

Just my 2 cents...

Hey Dental Mom...you happen to have a link to that article? I'm getting one for my wife in a few weeks, and am wondering if I should wait and get it a bit cheaper. Thanks!

Scotty

Hey Dental Mom...you happen to have a link to that article? I'm getting one for my wife in a few weeks, and am wondering if I should wait and get it a bit cheaper. Thanks!

Scotty

It was on MSN.com home page and on CNN the same day too. Just wait a little longer! I was one of those people outside apple store at 7 a.m. actually the only woman with bunch of guys....I was getting my husband one and while I was waiting I was studying for the ACS final....when I walked inside the store to get it my husband was telling me to get one...I was like no, my razor works fine....then it hit me that I needed a reward for taking Organic chem over the summer, so I walked out with one for me too! Honestly this is all I need as far as speed and what not. It's the coolest gadget! I can't imagine having more than this! LOL!!!

By the way, for girls the white one is much cutter....I got mine black :eek:

I was one of those people outside apple store at 7 a.m.....I was getting my husband one and while I was waiting I was studying for the ACS final....

Now that's love and dedication right there!