Would you take a pass/fail in this instance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I got the results from my first biochemistry midterm back and I got a C. The deadline to turn a class into a pass/fail is next week.

None of the schools I'm applying to in a few months require biochemistry. Would it be better to take it as a pass/fail and pass, or just work hard, and hope for the best? I should say, after this C, it is almost impossible for me to get an A in this class now.

Basically, would a C/possible B or a Pass look better for a school that doesn't even require biochem? I cannot withdraw or drop it as I need it to graduate.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so I got the results from my first biochemistry midterm back and I got a C. The deadline to turn a class into a pass/fail is next week.

None of the schools I'm applying to in a few months require biochemistry. Would it be better to take it as a pass/fail and pass, or just work hard, and hope for the best? I should say, after this C, it is almost impossible for me to get an A in this class now.

Basically, would a C/possible B or a Pass look better for a school that doesn't even require biochem? I cannot withdraw or drop it as I need it to graduate.

One B or C isn't going to hurt your chances. I would keep it as a letter grade. A P/F in biochem may make admissions a bit suspicious in terms of you trying to "save" your GPA so just bust butt and get a B.

I've also have gotten a C in genetics and C+ Ochem 2. All my labs and other grades are A's though. I just don't know if 2 C's and a P looks better than three shiny, C bruises.

Members don't see this ad :)

Take the pass. It's a useful one to learn, but not worth getting a C, especially if it's not even required for you.

Reactions: 1 user
drop it and take it next quarter?

Take the pass, but look carefully at the requirements of schools that you apply to later on. Many don't require biochem, but tread cautiously for the ones that do.

GPA will take a hit with the C. If it isn't req'd for your schools, get through the course and get a P. It kind of sucks, but not terribly. I mean how do you calculate a P in the GPA? Just brush up on it for MCAT. Who knows? Maybe you will get a chance to re-take for an A somewhere later. Gap or whatever.

A P has no effect on GPA, positive or negative.