Wow. Just wow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p-rog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so today my school (UGA) had a pinning ceremony for third year students. If you don't already know, basically it's a ceremony to mark the end of our academic training and transition into rotations. The event was sponsored by Rite Aid (wtf aren't they enough debt already?), and the keynote speaker was Robert Thompson, Executive Vice President of Pharmacy.

You wouldn't believe what this jackass said in front of the entire class and about 30 professors (including the dean obviously).... He talked for several minutes about how certified techs should be able to check and verify RX's without a RPh. I thought he was joking at first, but he wasn't. I guess I would be more upset if they were actually likely to still be in business by the time I graduate.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so today my school (UGA) had a pinning ceremony for third year students. If you don't already know, basically it's a ceremony to mark the end of our academic training and transition into rotations. The event was sponsored by Rite Aid (wtf aren't they enough debt already), and the keynote speaker was Robert Thompson, Executive Vice President of Pharmacy.

You wouldn't believe what this jackass said in front of the entire class and about 30 professors (including the dean obviously).... He talked for several minutes about how certified techs should be able to check and verify RX's without a RPh. I thought he was joking at first, but he wasn't. I guess I would be more upset if they were actually likely to still be in business by the time I graduate.

I'd have booed his ass and thrown my beverage at him.

And the school would have made me go for another year.

Ok, so today my school (UGA) had a pinning ceremony for third year students. If you don't already know, basically it's a ceremony to mark the end of our academic training and transition into rotations. The event was sponsored by Rite Aid (wtf aren't they enough debt already?), and the keynote speaker was Robert Thompson, Executive Vice President of Pharmacy.

a certified tech is cheaper than a pharmacist, why wouldnt he want that??? What the hell does he care what he says in front of the students??? Those chains are all about the bottom line and thats it...Im not a bit surprised that he would say that...i dont agree with it but from what i have heard come out of DM's RM's and AVP mouths from CVS, they dont care what you think...Its about the bottome line...and labor costs represent a huge chunk of their bottom line...

Members don't see this ad :)

1189382852457.gif

So did the school issue any kind of appology for having a jackass at you ceremony or do they agree? Your dean probably could careless as long as he gets your tuition and rite aid donates money.

So did the school issue any kind of appology for having a jackass at you ceremony or do they agree? Your dean probably could careless as long as he gets your tuition and rite aid donates money.

uga is not a diploma mill

I was looking over at faculty members. Their heads were shaking and looking down. I don't think they expected that to happen.

Did he sell it as a way to free up the pharmacist to do more MTM/Imm/counsilling?

yes, very poorly but he did try at least. I'll give him that.

He's from target Corp. So yes he knows **** about pharmacy, but he is a businessman. His number 1 piority is profit.