Writing about bad healthcare experiences in PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

innercellmass

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, as the title says--I've been doing some thinking about how to best frame my personal statement (not for this cycle, obviously), and I'm wondering whether it's frowned upon to write about bad healthcare experiences (whether your own, loved ones', or things you've witnessed while working in clinical settings) in the context of explaining what brought you to medicine?

On the one hand, my experience is that other physicians tend to automatically look to take the physician's side when confronted with stories about healthcare encounters that went poorly, and I don't want to look like I'm dwelling on the negative, or complaining, or like I have naive and unrealistic expectations of how our healthcare "system" works. On the other hand, some of the experiences I'm considering including are pretty stark and awful (like doctors refusing to see or charging more to see a particular patient for overtly discriminatory reasons), and I've been extensively involved in education/advocacy work to try to help prevent similar situations from happening, as a direct result of having seen and experienced how bad things can be in that regard.

I could try to put the negatives vaguely, and regardless of how specific I get with the negatives my focus would be on what I'm doing and hoping to do to make things better. But I'm concerned that without the realities of the negatives, I'm going to sound bland or disconnected from the very real, severe discrimination and disparities I'm talking about. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I"m of the mindset that if there is a possibility of being poorly received by reviewers/adcoms/interviewers, it shouldn't be in the PS.

If you are going to tackle negativity or an inflammatory topic in a PS, be concise and superficial. Follow it up with a clear, positive denouement that leads into why you would be a good physician/want to go into medicine. Let your words/actions frame the rest of the story. Don't get wrapped up in health policy. Focus on your ECs regarding advocacy and avoid bashing physicians/your future colleagues.

Reactions: 2 users
So, as the title says--I've been doing some thinking about how to best frame my personal statement (not for this cycle, obviously), and I'm wondering whether it's frowned upon to write about bad healthcare experiences (whether your own, loved ones', or things you've witnessed while working in clinical settings) in the context of explaining what brought you to medicine?

On the one hand, my experience is that other physicians tend to automatically look to take the physician's side when confronted with stories about healthcare encounters that went poorly, and I don't want to look like I'm dwelling on the negative, or complaining, or like I have naive and unrealistic expectations of how our healthcare "system" works. On the other hand, some of the experiences I'm considering including are pretty stark and awful (like doctors refusing to see or charging more to see a particular patient for overtly discriminatory reasons), and I've been extensively involved in education/advocacy work to try to help prevent similar situations from happening, as a direct result of having seen and experienced how bad things can be in that regard.

I could try to put the negatives vaguely, and regardless of how specific I get with the negatives my focus would be on what I'm doing and hoping to do to make things better. But I'm concerned that without the realities of the negatives, I'm going to sound bland or disconnected from the very real, severe discrimination and disparities I'm talking about. Thoughts?
Hey, I did something similar. I did not cast blame or even claim that I could fix it myself, However I did stress on the system aspect of it. If it is done in good taste and with an eye of not coming off as " Doctors screw up all the time, I wont screw up" Or "Doctors are the worst" I dont see a reason why it couldnt be used. I would stay away particular examples unless it is benign and talk about systemic problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote about a personal negative healthcare experience in both my personal statements for medical school and residency. However, I made it clear that I use that experience for my own passion/ambition and my growth as a physician. If you have a negative experience with healthcare make sure you frame the aftermath as relating to something that you learned from or will use in a positive way. Always remember that you're selling yourself in the PS so always tie it together why these experiences will make you a better doctor or how you will help to bring about change

You can bring it up, but as a side point if that makes sense. The point of your PS is supposed to be about the experiences that have led you to believe that you WANT to be a physician...which should be positive. The reasons you should want to be a physician should stem from excitement/passion.

I agree with what other posters have said about avoiding offending the adcoms reading your ps. It would be better to focus on the positive things drawing you to medicine and save these stories for questions on secondaries or in interviews about the things you have witnessed that you would like to emulate or avoid in your own practice. The PS is about telling your story, so if a negative experience was an integral part of your story, write about it. But you'd need to be very careful about how you did so. Have lots of eyes read it and give you feed back.

Last edited:
Don't do it; just don't. Period.

Hmm, interesting variety of responses here. Thanks for all the input. For the record, I'm a non-trad who's worked in healthcare for years, if that helps give some perspective on where I'm coming from--it's not about "bashing" any of my colleagues. But if I look for a turning point in the story of how I decided for sure to become a doctor, it's very much wrapped up in having seen some overt discrimination by doctors, and I think there's a limit to how superficially I can tell that and still write something worth reading. So yes, obviously I would want to focus on the positives (like I said, I've done extensive work on healthcare disparities that I want to showcase) and I'm deeply passionate and excited about medicine, but one of the things I'm passionate about is remedying injustices in the field.

@Goro, if you'd care to elaborate on this answer I'd really appreciate it. Do you really think this is territory that can't ever be handled correctly, or are you more erring on the side of caution? Basically, the level of detail I'm considering going into is about the same level I'd go into in a professional setting where I was talking about preventing similar situations--honest and straightforward, but with an eye to moving forward and doing better, not blaming.

Don't do it; just don't. Period.

This seems like more appropriate fodder for a diversity or adversity secondary question.