Writing about career in military in secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TBSmeg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread might be more appropriate in the military medicine thread.

I've had a few experiences in working in military clinics and research labs and I've recently been leaning towards going into the military, either through USUHS or HPSP. My question is, does anyone know if it has any effect on your application if you mention that you plan to go HPSP? A lot of schools have that secondary essay prompt where you can write about anything that hasn't been mentioned yet, and I thought about writing about my plan to commission.

On one hand, I would think going the military route would make me more "unique" among my average peers and perhaps the HPSP paying for my education might make them inclined to take in a student whose education is paid for? But I don't really know what admissions committees' opinions are towards students in the military, and I know in general there are mixed feelings about military medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wrote about wanting to do HPSP (still waiting on my application!), and this type of service is certainly well received. Be aware that it is expected that you can account for your desire to serve in the US military and to be a military officer (and more will be required of you than 'it's good money!' -- because this is the WRONG attitude to have about service with the US Armed Forces).

By the way, I should mention that the overwhelming opinion on these forums is negative with respect to the HPSP (check out the Military Medicine forum). You should only pursue the HPSP if you want to be a military officer.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the prompt response. I browsed the military thread and yes it seemed like most were against HPSP, and I wasn't sure if that sentiment extended to admissions officers, deans, the medical school "community" in general, etc.

I do have my own personal reasons for wanting to go into the military (not financial at all). I wouldn't say I'm 110% set on military yet but I'm doing an internship at BAMC now and the more I work with the enlisted or speak with doctors there, the more I've become interested in military medicine.

As long as your reasons for wanting to go into the military aren't at odds with medicine (e.g."I like guns and I want to learn to shoot; I've always wanted to be in the Arm officer"), adcoms seem to be happy about it.