Writing any papers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you writing any papers/conducting any research for your classes (at either the undergrad or graduate level)? If so, what is your topic...have you learned anything surprising?

I have to write a 10 pager for my cognitive psychology class...so I chose the topic of cognitive remediation in schizophrenia. The results of the research are about what I expected...that researchers are guardedly optimistic about cog rehab for cognitive deficit in schizophrenia. The whole topic gave me a cool idea though- I've seen the cog rehab programs and most of the protocols are kind of boring...e.g. clicking on squares to improve your reaction time, memorizing lists of words. My sister is a 3d animator/computer game designer so I thought that once (and if) I get into grad school, we could work on developing a more interesting, dynamic cognitive rehab protocol in the form of a computer game or video game...dunno if it would work, but I thought it was a cool idea. There are already some mainstream games designed to improve cognition, but to be honest none of them are that great.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, my undergrad is a liberal arts school that absolutely loves to force you to write papers. I'm not complaining (too much) because my writing has omproved a lot since my freshman year.

As far as my psych classes go, I have had pretty random assignments. Examples:

*Psych Testing: Research paper on specific aspects (i.e. reliability, validity, etc.) of a test, which I did the Myers-Briggs.
*Theories of Personality: 15-pg paper on a case analysis. We had to take 2 different theoretical approaches and explain what each would say about this woman's personality (and she was relatively "normal")
*Abnormal Psych: Paper on the effectiveness of a treatment based on research, for which I did DBT for borderline PD.
*Learning and Conditioning: Paper related to Walden Two.
*Research Methods: Group project on correlational research, worked on all phases of the research project.
*Advanced Experimental: Individual project on experimental research, doing everything.

There are more, but I don't want this post to go on forever. :cool:

I am working on a multi-site project that is examining the current views of primary care providers on fibromyalgia.