Writing Samples for Ph.D. Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modestmousktr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Could only find question answered once on the forum, and it was submitting an article with multiple authors as a writing sample. I have a bit of a different question.

May I submit the literature review of my thesis for my writing sample?

Since I am currently in my M.A., it is my most advanced/best writing, and also the best representation of my research interests and research fit. It's 25 pages. Is that too long? Is it awkward to turn in a lit review?

What sort of paper are they looking for? Should it be one that includes statistics? If so, I'd need to choose an older paper from undergrad that wouldn't be as good of a reflection of my interest/writing skills, or even statistical skills.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I was actually wondering the same thing. I was going to submit my (by then approved) thesis proposal for my writing sample. I wanted to because its actually in my research area and a paper that is all mine unlike other manuscripts I worked on before which were combined efforts from many people.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the lit review would be fine - but I'd try to submit an excerpt so it wasn't 25 pages.

Thanks, everybody! I appreciate it. And the creative suggestion ;)

What do you think is a good length? ~15 pages?

When I reviewed PhD/PsyD applications, the program's requested length was 5-7 pages, but I saw people go as high as 9 pages and I don't think the faculty cared that much. If they don't give you recommended page limits, I guess 15 pages would be fine, though personally I wouldn't do it that long.

Reactions: 1 user
When I reviewed PhD/PsyD applications, the program's requested length was 5-7 pages, but I saw people go as high as 9 pages and I don't think the faculty cared that much. If they don't give you recommended page limits, I guess 15 pages would be fine, though personally I wouldn't do it that long.

Thanks! The schools I am applying to are a bit vague, so I am happy to see some guidelines.

5-7 sounds similar to what I remember sending in way back when I applied as well. I'm sure they wouldn't toss your application if you sent 15 pages, they just might only read portions of it.