Writing Scripts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bengeminy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been rotating at hospitals that are half electronic (orders, imaging, etc) but we still have charts and hand write progress notes. I noticed that sometimes attendings are writing scripts and residents are asking and waiting on scripts to be written by the attending. For example, I think I saw once an attending writing a script for insulin. Can someone explain why sometimes scripts need to be signed or written by attendings instead of just being put as a computer order? Are there certain medications that require written scripts? Is it mainly for when a patient is being discharged? I know this seems like a silly question but I genuinely just don't understand. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen hand written scripts for the following reasons....
1. The physician cannot find the correct drug / formulation in the computer. Its easier to just write it out than search.
2. They are in a rush and don't want to mess with the computer.
3. The pharmacy information isn't in the computer or the patient isn't sure what pharmacy they want. Sometimes instead of printing the prescription they will just write it out.
4. Some controlled substances in certain states require a written prescription with original signature and DEA number.
5. Its for a medical device like a cane, syringes, wheelchair, etc.
6. They feel like it (being serious).

Reactions: 1 users
So I've been rotating at hospitals that are half electronic (orders, imaging, etc) but we still have charts and hand write progress notes. I noticed that sometimes attendings are writing scripts and residents are asking and waiting on scripts to be written by the attending. For example, I think I saw once an attending writing a script for insulin. Can someone explain why sometimes scripts need to be signed or written by attendings instead of just being put as a computer order? Are there certain medications that require written scripts? Is it mainly for when a patient is being discharged? I know this seems like a silly question but I genuinely just don't understand. Thanks for the help!

These are likely discharge prescriptions and it is likely related to the state regulations governing trainees' prescribing rights. That is, any order on an inpatient the trainee is allowed to write, since it is under the supervision of an attending, but for the discharge medications the state requires someone to have a permanent medical license and/or DEA.

Reactions: 1 user
These are likely discharge prescriptions and it is likely related to the state regulations governing trainees' prescribing rights. That is, any order on an inpatient the trainee is allowed to write, since it is under the supervision of an attending, but for the discharge medications the state requires someone to have a permanent medical license and/or DEA.

That's been my experience in medical school. Of course the way around it that I've seen is for the attending to simply provide X amount of presigned scrips to the senior resident to fill out as needed for discharges.

Reactions: 1 users