Writing up tech for Pos error

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ancienbon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a tech that sold a prescription to the wrong patient . I once caught that tech getting the dob from the prescription label. I warned him to never do that again. Looks like he keeps doing that.
I reported the incident. Now how do i write him up. I have never done a write up before. is there a form for that?
i know with wags once you submit the report ,you just put the name of the person who sells the incorrect package and store manager will complete the process and the tech just signs it.

Members don't see this ad.

What's wrong with getting the dob from the prescription label?

Members don't see this ad :)
David Carter comes to pick up his prescription, gives his name and asks to pick up a medication. The tech pulls the bag and puts in the birthday off the prescription label 12/15/42. The customer pays for the medication and drives off.

Two weeks later David Carter's doctor calls and rips the pharmacist on duty a new one since his patient, David Carter DOB 9/1/60, has been taking Warfarin 5mg for two weeks now instead of the cholesterol medication prescribed. Oh by the way the patient given the Warfarin is in the hospital having had a brain bleed and the family will be suing. Getting the patient to give you their birthday allows you to determine which bag labelled David Carter to pull from the basket.

At my chain, it's gotten to the point of idiot-proofing the pick up process.
We have whoever is picking up confirm the last four of the phone number.
In theory it's a good practice, but in reality it just tacks on more time to a lengthy process.
Customer: Pickup for Dick Butt
Me: Could you confirm the last four digits of the phone number?
Customer: 555-555-5555.
Me: No, just the last four. On the keypad there.
Customer: *struggles with the concept* Do I... Do I use my face?
Me: No. On the keypad. Like dialing a phone number.
Customer: *through immense brain power enters in the phone number*
Me: Looks like that isn't the one we have. I can update it, what's the current phone number?
Customer: Ugh, I gave it to you last time I was here in 2002. God.

Then there's the credit card payment process.
Enter your PIN.
No PIN? No, don't use your face, hit cancel.
Pause as machine chugs along.
Credit or Debit?
Customer hits debit and goes back to the Enter PIN screen.
No, hit cancel and then when "Credit" pops up, hit that.
Is this amount correct?
Sign please.

Entire process takes 2-3 minutes per customer, meanwhile the line has grown from 2 to 8 and my techs are doing outdates or puffing on their E-cig in the bathroom for the seventh time this shift.

What's really the danger are the people in my community who are immigrants and have the same first and last names. And many birthdays are 1/1/XX. And God help you if two live in the same apartment complex.

A patient would remember to bring their code? They can't even remember to bring their insurance card. Why not just ask for name then date of birth then grab the medication and just say what class the med is. Like Ok Mr Butt Dick, what's your dob? And we got your blood pressure pill, that'll be 10 bucks...

I have a tech that sold a prescription to the wrong patient . I once caught that tech getting the dob from the prescription label. I warned him to never do that again. Looks like he keeps doing that.
I reported the incident. Now how do i write him up. I have never done a write up before. is there a form for that?
i know with wags once you submit the report ,you just put the name of the person who sells the incorrect package and store manager will complete the process and the tech just signs it.

I'm not sure what Walgreen's policy is for written counseling, with the chain I work for only the PIC is able to access the online form, but if you can't locate it, it'd be best to have some sort of documentation. Below is an example:

Shortfall Type: Non-Compliant With Company Policies/Procedures General Compliance Requirements
Tier/Consequence: Level I
Employee Name: 
Joe, Pharmacy Technician
Date Created: June 22, 2014

Counseling
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actual Performance/Conduct: Joe did not verify the patient’s birthday prior to selling it at the register, which led to the patient receiving the wrong medication. Joe had already been previously warned to never use the prescription label to obtain the date of birth.

Expected Performance/Conduct: A key part of Walgreen’s values include quality through consistent and reliable service, advice, and helping people get well, stay well and live well. Additionally, Walgreen’s is focused on striving for honesty, trust, and integrity with our customers, and the communities we serve.

Impact:By choosing to not follow Walgreens policies and verify the date of birth with every patient at the register, this has caused a patient to receive the wrong medication.

Corrective Action(s): Joe must verify the date of birth with every patient, every time, at the register.

Consequences: Failure to comply with Walgreen’s policies will result in further discipline including a second written counseling and/or final warning.

Pharmacist/Manager and employee have discussed the content of this counseling form.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Employee Signature:

Date:

Supervisor Signature:

Date:

I understand that this will become part of my personnel record.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

A patient would remember to bring their code? They can't even remember to bring their insurance card. Why not just ask for name then date of birth then grab the medication and just say what class the med is. Like Ok Mr Butt Dick, what's your dob? And we got your blood pressure pill, that'll be 10 bucks...

Depending on the state, technicians aren't able to counsel on medications, let alone few know the class of medications anyway. Using the above example,

Tech: Ok Mr. Dick we have your blood pressure pill, (propranolol).
Pt: I'm not on any blood pressure medications, my doctor said he was calling in one to help prevent my migraines.
Tech: Well their office must have called in the wrong one, this one is a Beta-Blocker and helps with blood pressure...

That being said I do agree it would be difficult to implement a bar code system, especially if someone else is picking up the medication for them. For now at least though, verifying the name and birthday each time does help reduce POS medication errors than just asking for the name.

For Walgreens, there is a standardized for IPPs. It is on Storenet. If you can't find it, talk with your manager. At Walgreens, you have to ask for the address or dob per policy. These people have problems using the pen pad for check-up. We don't want to make it any more difficult.

Is this CVS? We had a tech do this, more than once. Couldn't get her to stop doing it. She ended up being fired, but for other issues. Very annoying to say the least. How hard is it to ask for a DOB/prevent a medication error?

Last edited:
I thought Cvs took the full DOB off the label so the techs can't take short cuts. It now just shows the month and year and the register will ask for month and day.
For control substances you need their photo ID and enter their license code in the register similar to PSE or use a paper log book depending on the store, some stores don't track at all though.
If the system is offline at cvs then you can't use the full DOB. Just have to rely on verifying other info manually.

I thought Cvs took the full DOB off the label so the techs can't take short cuts. It now just shows the month and year and the register will ask for month and day.

False. I almost hate to point out how this is wrong though, it is better for people to think that the DOB is nowhere on the label...

Reactions: 1 users
False. I almost hate to point out how this is wrong though, it is better for people to think that the DOB is nowhere on the label...

CVS label only has month and year. What's needed on the screen is month and day.

CVS label only has month and year. What's needed on the screen is month and day.
Nope,it has the month and day in the back label and the month and year on the front part of the label

I'm not sure what Walgreen's policy is for written counseling, with the chain I work for only the PIC is able to access the online form, but if you can't locate it, it'd be best to have some sort of documentation. Below is an example:

Shortfall Type: Non-Compliant With Company Policies/Procedures General Compliance Requirements
Tier/Consequence: Level I
Employee Name: 
Joe, Pharmacy Technician
Date Created: June 22, 2014

Counseling
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actual Performance/Conduct: Joe did not verify the patient’s birthday prior to selling it at the register, which led to the patient receiving the wrong medication. Joe had already been previously warned to never use the prescription label to obtain the date of birth.

Expected Performance/Conduct: A key part of Walgreen’s values include quality through consistent and reliable service, advice, and helping people get well, stay well and live well. Additionally, Walgreen’s is focused on striving for honesty, trust, and integrity with our customers, and the communities we serve.

Impact:By choosing to not follow Walgreens policies and verify the date of birth with every patient at the register, this has caused a patient to receive the wrong medication.

Corrective Action(s): Joe must verify the date of birth with every patient, every time, at the register.

Consequences: Failure to comply with Walgreen’s policies will result in further discipline including a second written counseling and/or final warning.

Pharmacist/Manager and employee have discussed the content of this counseling form.

Employee Signature:

Date:

Supervisor Signature:

Date:

I understand that this will become part of my personnel record.
thanks so much. That is what i need

Nope,it has the month and day in the back label and the month and year on the front part of the label

which back label are u referring to? are u "currently" working for cvs?

which back label are u referring to? are u "currently" working for cvs?

It's on there, not easy to find at first, but it is. As owlegrad said, probably best that most people don't know.

Reactions: 1 users

As mentioned above, this is 100% wrong. You are wrong. The full date of birth is available on the label if you know where to look.

Besides that, you can also bypass the dob prompt at the register.

Reactions: 1 user