Writing your own letter of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indy05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I requested a letter of rec from my prof and he told me to write one and he would sign it.... How do I go about doing that so it doesn't start to reflect on the same writing style that I used for the rest of my app?.... should I find a friend to write me a letter of recommendation?

Members don't see this ad.

just put a draft together and the prof will edit it.

Use examples, that he may not be aware of. Use info from your CV you wish to highlight.

If anyone asks me for reference letter, I ask them to write a draft. And then I will make changes. If I find some of the things too much, I will erase it and tone it down. Also good profs don't mind sharing the letter with you and telling you honestly how to improve.

BTW... it is not a good idea to start with. Mr/Ms. is Gods gift to the world.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO not write the letter yourself. I see patients with a DR who interviews for medical school. He says they6 can tell right away if you wrote it. Just give the prof a list of what you want him to talk about, and have him write the draft. You can correct/add as needed afterward. Also if they ask you at an interview it would be awkward to sit there and lie.