Writing your own recommendation letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nishakg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to draft a letter of recommendation for myself and send it to the person who will ultimately sign it (hopefully after changing it!). Ignoring the fact that this is extremely uncomfortable, what would one put in it (I mean generally speaking). What do adcom committees like to see in a rec. letter?? I appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Sing your praises, just make sure you don't sound too perfect. Basically a realistic assessment of your strengths and weaknesses.

I have been asked to draft a letter of recommendation for myself and send it to the person who will ultimately sign it (hopefully after changing it!). Ignoring the fact that this is extremely uncomfortable, what would one put in it (I mean generally speaking). What do adcom committees like to see in a rec. letter?? I appreciate any advice!

IMG! do you know how lucky you are....This is your chance for future progression! Helping my advisor construct a letter was the most fulfilling (not to mention controlling) experiences I've had in the admissions process....It also gave me the upper hand because I could correlate those "chosen words and phrases" about my myself that I included in my application. You see, Adcoms look for consistency, and so If your saying in your application " I am diligent, focused, and determined individual" then it doesnt help much if your recommender is saying otherwise (although it may not be detrimental....I mean cum on, you rarely ever get to see what Recommenders wrote)....But my point is that, it is much better to be consistent in the admissions process, then to through mixed words at the Adcoms....So this is your chance to go back and look at your primary, and say "okay I used those words about my self and conveyed this kind of feelings toward medicine, Okay I'll used these words in my LOR"......perfect combination!

Good Luck!

i had to do one of these too. there are lots of resources you can search for. I personally tried to state known relationships and put everything that we've collaborated together on in the most positive light while at the same time trying to keep the praise tasteful so he would approve. then after i finished it i took the letter to my premed office and career center to look over the wording/phrasing. believe it or not there are some adjectives and phrases that while they are complimentary are not as powerful as others. oh and i also had to look up the cv of my prof so i could add a little background for him to explain his role in the school. it is certainly challenging to be praising but not too praising, good luck with that fine line.