Written/oral boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

JR

So, what's the best/most optimal time to take the boards? My impression from talking to a few fellows is that you generally take written boards about 6 months post-graduation and orals about 6 months later? Any thoughts on this timeline?

Members don't see this ad.

You can get a lot more detailed information at:

www.abop.org

You do not have a choice when you can take the written exam. It is offered every year in March.

Once you pass the written boards you will be offered a date for either a fall or summer date for your oral boards.

I hope this helps.

So, what's the best/most optimal time to take the boards? My impression from talking to a few fellows is that you generally take written boards about 6 months post-graduation and orals about 6 months later? Any thoughts on this timeline?

My suggestion is to take them at the earliest possible opportunity, including during your fellowship, if you are doing a fellowship. The sooner you pass, the sooner you will be able to get full staff privileges and the easier time you will have getting on carrier panels.