Army WRMC- MG Tempel to Replace BG Cho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Relieved for not conducting a command survey...unbelievable. That's all they came up with. Somebody had it out for this guy. I've never worked with BG Cho, but always heard good things about him.

"After an Army investigation, it was determined that Brig. Gen. John M. Cho
failed to treat select subordinates with dignity and respect. While the
investigation did not find a toxic command climate - nor did it find he
failed to foster a healthy command climate - it did also determine that he
failed to conduct a command survey as required by Army policy. As a result
of these findings, he will not be returning to a command. He will be
reassigned to a staff position at the Office of the Surgeon General. MG
Thomas R. Tempel, Jr. will assume permanent command of the Western Regional
Medical Command."

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be my little general cho.

Relieved for not conducting a command survey...unbelievable. That's all they came up with. Somebody had it out for this guy. I've never worked with BG Cho, but always heard good things about him.

."

BG Cho, as a colonel, was the commanding officer at Landstuhl when I helped back-fill there several years ago. I gave the anesthesia on several thoracotomies where he operated, usually as consultant/first assistant. He was always professional and polite in the OR. It was his normal routine to wander into the hospital cafeteria/DFAC/galley at lunch, grab a tray, and randomly sit down with an unknown person and strike up a conversation and make their acquaintance. When my Navy team landed at Ramstein after a 13 hour flight from Point Magu he personally greeted us in the terminal. I was always impressed with his demeanor. If his interaction style in the command suite with his staff was any different I never saw nor heard about it.

You can read between the lines that he maintains his rank after this ~investigation was concluded, and was not shown the door for cause. Personally I'm growing very tired of the Nurse-Surgeon General of the Army. Can't help but think that she's applied the "nursing process" to all her executive decision-making. :wacky:

Reactions: 1 users
One complaint from some civilian contractor can drive up this sort of complaint. You can be one smart cookie but if you hurt feeling of one lazy incompetent civilian subordinate in the process you are gone. After criticizing one nurse about her poor clinical decision of patient, refusing MD order overnight without letting MD know just escalate the situation to the Nth degree where a military doctor got in trouble about criticizing the nurse. This does not happened in the civilian hospital. Nurses have a habit of escalating the situation.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this one of those, "if your boss hates you enough, there is always a way to fire you" things?

Sounds very much like it to me. From what I've been told, he disagreed with the nurseon general on some issues. My bet is that a toxic command environment complaint was engineered (very subjective material) in hopes they could unearth something unpleasant, but enough of the people involved stood up for him that the investigation failed. So they resorted to removing him, despite positive command climate findings, over not having done an internet poll soon enough.

This is the system we work for.

Reactions: 1 user
Horoho in waging a war on Docs. She does not know the meaning of the words "dignity and respect". What has happened to Cho is a disgrace.

Sounds very much like it to me. From what I've been told, he disagreed with the nurseon general on some issues. My bet is that a toxic command environment complaint was engineered (very subjective material) in hopes they could unearth something unpleasant, but enough of the people involved stood up for him that the investigation failed. So they resorted to removing him, despite positive command climate findings, over not having done an internet poll soon enough.

This is the system we work for.

Just one of the myriad reasons to split once one's ADSO is up.

i was at a more operational atmosphere for 3 weeks in southern california and the good nurse surgeon general paid us a visit. being the first time i have "met" (if you want to call it that) her other than her "eat, sleep, exercise" stroke of genius videos i wanted to give her a chance. she failed miserably. i would like to tell some more stories, but none would surprise anyone and the story itself would essentially single me out to the OTSG spies that may lurk here, lol. i will generalize by stating she singlehandedly made an entire charlie med feel used and told a story that essentially undermined the entire foundation that triage is based on all in a 15-20 minute breeze in-breeze out visit. once my passion fades a little and she's replaced i may share more details, but i was thoroughly underwhelmed.

so he was found to be yellow or red on his command climate survey status and was removed? i wonder what "select subordinates" he was so awful to, lol. on a sidenote-- the article makes it sound like this is the nurse surgeon's MO for removing people. hopefully the full investigation will come out via the FOIA.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/03/13/suspended-general-at-jblm-wont-get-his-post-back.html

--your friendly neighborhood thank god my kids can't fill out a command climate survey caveman

from your link...."Cho is one of eight senior Army medical commanders who have been suspended or relieved from leadership positions by Army Surgeon General Lt. Gen. Patricia Horoho since 2012"

When is this ho ho lady leaving? It is about time...Also what is purpose of climate survey? I filled it out last time and not a damn thing changed!

Last edited:
When is this ho ho lady leaving? It is about time...Also what is purpose of climate survey? I filled it out last time and not a damn thing changed!
Just by looking at the numbers, 4 years will be up in December, so, unless they extend her because she is "the best thing since Walter Reed that ever happened to Army Medicine", that might be the light at the end of the tunnel.

Not sure why anyone would want to stay and toil in MEDCOM as a senior officer. I guess it's for folks no longer interested in practicing medicine?