Wrong Name on SOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlaflgkr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this elsewhere too, but on second thought, decided I should request advice here too since I am aware there are people knowledgeable about admissions as current grad students, professors, admissions people, etc. here.

To the point. I messed up. I will take all bashing without complaint, because, oh my god, I deserve it.

I wrote the wrong school name on my SOP (in the beginning, but wrote the right one at the end). But I still got the interview. Should I stop worrying about it, or bring it to the office's attention and attempt to swap it even though it's two weeks past the deadline? Specifically, since I got through the application screening and got the interview, will this error affect me in the long run? For example, if I get through the interview okay, will this mistake hurt me so much as to push me out of the competition with other applicants who had as okay an interview as I had? Super anxious and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You got an interview. They probably didn't even notice.

Reactions: 1 user
Happens more often than you think. I notice, but I just ignore it because I remember how crazy thing were when I was applying to grad schools. Just hope they don't notice, but even if they do, they wont care. Programs are not like extremely jealous men or overprotective mothers, they want you to find someone nice to spend the rest of your life with (or at least the next few years).

Bottom line, don't worry about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies. So since I got to the interview, will they not look back at the SOP after the interviews?

Maybe, but if they decide they don't want you as a student because of that one thing, then I wouldn't go to that program anyways.

Agree with the others--you've gotten the interview, so I'd stop worrying about it. Nothing you can do about it at this point anyway, and it didn't bother them enough (if at all) to prevent them from offering you a chance to come visit; given the numbers of these things that folks typically send out and how stressed they are while doing so, it's not an uncommon occurrence.

Reactions: 1 users