Ws on my transcript & AMCASGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneDayDocDude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've seen a couple of similar questions, but I'd like to address the specifics of my situation, so forgive the repeat Q please.

I have about 5 Ws strewn across my college record, in two separate institutions, (the one I started at, AUC Egypt, and the one I graduated from BU). They were pretty much all in math—though there was also one in a guitar class, which I used to be unconfident and averse to, had weak fundamentals. Every time it was to maintain my GPA, first to make sure it was high enough to transfer successfully, and then at BU so that my GPA was as high as possible on graduation. At the time I wasn't thinking about Medicine, and had zero advising on getting into medschool.

I was never in danger of getting an F, but I always withdrew when I thought I'd get lower than a B+ , though I suppose that's impossible to prove.

Can anybody tell me how I should expect this to affect my application to any M.D schools?

For Background: I've always loved science, did best in those classes in school, As, — B+s, (british system where you specialize on 3-4 subjects for the last two years of high school. I did Bio, Chem, Econ, equivalent to more than a minor in College imo) Always suspected that medicine might be right for me, but didn't know for sure, and understood that one shouldn't embark on the med journey unless they are. Majored in PoliSci. After 4ish years in the workforce, successful and high achieving enough, I now have a much better idea of what I do and don't find interesting and fulfilling in terms of profession. Medicine is the only thing I see myself being happy doing.

CGPA: 3.4
Major GPA: 3.65
sGPA: Can't really calculate because there were no pure science classes.

As a corollary to my first question, can somebody explain to me the whole AMCASGPA calculation scheme? Again, sorry if this is repetitive.

Members don't see this ad.

W's are frowned upon by many MD schools, but not as bad as D's or F's and 5 W's won't likely eliminate you instantly. The 3.4 depending on the rest of your application might bump you out of the running before the W's. They will look really hard at your MCAT, which needs to be around 510-15+.

Med schools require science classes!!!! So not sure what the no "pure" science class comment means but you need 8 credits of Bio, Chem, O-Chem, Physics with labs at the least for most. If you haven't taken those then that's where you need to start and make A's if you want to go MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
W's are frowned upon by many MD schools, but not as bad as D's or F's and 5 W's won't likely eliminate you instantly. The 3.4 depending on the rest of your application might bump you out of the running before the W's. They will look really hard at your MCAT, which needs to be around 510-15+.

Hey, thanks for your answer first of all.

Wow, you really think the Ws are that unimportant? Put differently, you think 3.4 is really that bad? hmmm... not reassuring, though that's pretty much what I expected to hear.

Med schools require science classes!!!! So not sure what the no "pure" science class comment means but you need 8 credits of Bio, Chem, O-Chem, Physics with labs at the least for most. If you haven't taken those then that's where you need to start and make A's if you want to go MD.

Sorry, I realize I forgot to mention: I'm of course planning to do a post bach. Also, yes I'm aware that I need to get straight As in the Post Bach and do very well in the MCAT.

Regarding the pure comment, I only took Sociobiology at BU, and no science classes at AUC. I don't know if you're familiar with the term, but its an area of study that deals with the social aspects of animals. ( Rooted in Bio of course, but it was just very different from any 'Pure' bio classes I did in school)

It's not completely clear what your question is.

Sorry if that wording was confusing, the first question was just about the impact of Ws on my GPA, with perhaps too much background/context info disguising it! :)

If you are seeking info about GPA calculation here is the official source: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/182162/data/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf

There are several excel GPA calculators available on SDN for both AMCAS and AACOMAS. You should download one. In general, W's do not impact your gpa.

Awesome, thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for for my second question.

Hey, thanks for your answer first of all.

Wow, you really think the Ws are that unimportant? Put differently, you think 3.4 is really that bad? hmmm... not reassuring, though that's pretty much what I expected to hear.

Sorry, I realize I forgot to mention: I'm of course planning to do a post bach. Also, yes I'm aware that I need to get straight As in the Post Bach and do very well in the MCAT.

Regarding the pure comment, I only took Sociobiology at BU, and no science classes at AUC. I don't know if you're familiar with the term, but its an area of study that deals with the social aspects of animals. ( Rooted in Bio of course, but it was just very different from any 'Pure' bio classes I did in school)
Then focus on making those As and don't worry about anything else until a year from now. It will take almost 2yrs to complete. Your grades in that time will tell you yes or no to med school.

3.4 is good for DO but not MD. A's in sciences will help that 3.4 become competitive for your sgpa/bcmp gpa and they will see the Ws as a thing of the past. Just don't W the sciences if possible or you'll potentially kill your MD chances, but an F will kill MD and DO so work hard. Best of luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
N = 1 but I had a similar number of W's spread across a few schools and it didn't affect me whatsoever and was never mentioned in interviews. My numbers were higher than yours, but the schools were likely more competitive than your targets will end up being. So it's not a death sentence.

If you do great in your post-bacc, I could see your academic record prior to it giving you more depth as an applicant than anything else. You should be fine.