WSU CVM 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For in-state, they start deliberating once the interviews are done (so Jan 22nd, probably) and send notifications a week after they finish that. In the past, people have been notified within 7-10 days post-interview, but I'm sure they take as much time as they feel they need for deliberations.

Thank you for the response!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm driving down from Spokane area on 1/21 at 7am-ish and back up 1pm-ish (after the noon VTH tour). If anybody with similar travel plans has interest in carpooling, message me.

Good luck to everyone who's having interviews in the next few days, I know I'm feeling antsy already!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
On my way to Pullman. I'm so nervous and my interview isn't even until tomorrow.

Good luck! The people here have been amazingly nice, and they really calmed my nerves as I was sitting and waiting for my interview. One of the current students just plopped down next to me and introduced herself.

Hang in there!

Congrats to all those who have interviewed and to those who will be interviewing! If you don't mind my asking, were the questions more general - a type where the interviewers wanted to get to know you, or more behavior-based? I hope there isn't a good cop/bad cop routine :/

Congrats to all those who have interviewed and to those who will be interviewing! If you don't mind my asking, were the questions more general - a type where the interviewers wanted to get to know you, or more behavior-based? I hope there isn't a good cop/bad cop routine :/
I was asked a few ethical questions, how I plan to pay for it, some things about my experiences, and "tell me about a time you did this." It was pretty chill, the professor was really funny and nice, the other two were nice but not as outgoing and chatty. I'm not feeling great about my interview, but everyone at WSU was SUPER NICE. People came to sit and talk to us, and on the tour, people kept asking about our interviews and inviting us to look at what they were doing.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel similarly about how mine went, always a bit tough to smoothly articulate answers to tricky things on the spot when you're nervous. I'd rate my performance as OK, certainly not great. It was more of a conversation than a series of questions, and the panel was extremely friendly. I'd say all the professors and staff I met get a huge thumbs up actually -- every one seemed genuine, funny, very interested in their subjects, very willing to donate their time to a group of random applicants, most of whom they will never see again.

Reactions: 2 users

For my interview:

1) Do you feel you're academically ready for the rigor of veterinary school?
2) What makes a good leader / How do lead people specifically (I supervise undergraduates in my research)?
3) What's the cost of vet school / How much do vets make after vet school / How will you pay for it?
4) What's the best / worst experience in veterinary medicine you've had

Those are what I remember, but I might have forgotten 1-2 smaller questions. It was very relaxed overall. The hotel I was staying in I met someone who said theirs was more stressful because their gpa wasn't the best, so the interviewers "hounded' her over it.

They didn't even ask about my research, which I have been involved with for 5 years. They focused more on generic veterinary / animal experiences I had.

For my interview:

1) Do you feel you're academically ready for the rigor of veterinary school?
2) What makes a good leader / How do lead people specifically (I supervise undergraduates in my research)?
3) What's the cost of vet school / How much do vets make after vet school / How will you pay for it?
4) What's the best / worst experience in veterinary medicine you've had

Those are what I remember, but I might have forgotten 1-2 smaller questions. It was very relaxed overall. The hotel I was staying in I met someone who said theirs was more stressful because their gpa wasn't the best, so the interviewers "hounded' her over it.

They didn't even ask about my research, which I have been involved with for 5 years. They focused more on generic veterinary / animal experiences I had.

Thank you so much! I'm happy to hear that the faculty is overall friendly and really interested in getting to know the interviewees. I hope you hear some wonderful news in a few days.

I know they send out mail after ~1 week, but does anyone know if WSU sends out emails or portal updates before then? I hate all this waiting :arghh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm sure Barbara knows. But any of us? Probably not :) I'm guessing paper only, and that it'll be at least another week.

I feel like it should become standard practice for vet schools to give interviewees a ketamine / valium cocktail after our interviews. A week's worth; to make the waiting easier.

I feel like it should become standard practice for vet schools to give interviewees a ketamine / valium cocktail after our interviews. A week's worth; to make the waiting easier.

Oh god, I know the feeling. I've had mild panic attacks, panic dreams, good dreams, scary dreams. It's been a real roller-coaster.

It isn't *that* bad. I mean, come on. In the worst case they don't accept you. If that happens, you work for a year, take a few classes, get more experience and next year you'll be a stronger applicant, with a better skillset, more prepared for school and you'll have some money saved up so you can take out less in loans. It might even be the best course of action for a lot of (most?) people, even though they will probably never recognize it.

Plus, let's say you're panicked about all this and they don't make an offer immediately but you end up on the wait list. Are you really going to be a mess until May? No, don't do that to yourself...

It isn't *that* bad. I mean, come on. In the worst case they don't accept you. If that happens, you work for a year, take a few classes, get more experience and next year you'll be a stronger applicant, with a better skillset, more prepared for school and you'll have some money saved up so you can take out less in loans. It might even be the best course of action for a lot of (most?) people, even though they will probably never recognize it.

Plus, let's say you're panicked about all this and they don't make an offer immediately but you end up on the wait list. Are you really going to be a mess until May? No, don't do that to yourself...

It's a joke bro.

Yeah, it won't be the end of the world if I get rejected, but I'd like to know so I can start planning my life out accordingly.
Plus, applying to vet school cost me a good deal of money and time, and it'd be pretty frustrating to have to go through this process all over again, and putting my life on hold for a year.

Yeah, it won't be the end of the world if I get rejected, but I'd like to know so I can start planning my life out accordingly.
Plus, applying to vet school cost me a good deal of money and time, and it'd be pretty frustrating to have to go through this process all over again, and putting my life on hold for a year.

Exactly this. I feel like my life is currently on hold, and I kind of want to know so I can move on in one direction or another. Plus, I'm a little more high-strung than some other people, and I'd like to have the ability to vent just once on a forum specifically made for vet school applicants. Or joke about getting medicated due to anxiety. I'm not hysterical. It's just something that is important to me and thus takes up a lot of my time and energy.

I remember being so anxious/frustrated that life was in a holding pattern - unsure if I'd be accepted/moving or seriously looking at full time assistant positions and figuring out how to improve my app. You know what you want to do with your life but you don't get a green light until the magic letter is in your mailbox.

Hang in there, my peeps! Those of us on the other side know how you feel :) Chin up and take it one day at a time.

(And if you do get in, you get the joy of experiencing this same feeling again while you're waiting for NAVLE results too ;) )

Sending good luck! :luck::luck:

Reactions: 3 users
(And if you do get in, you get the joy of experiencing this same feeling again while you're waiting for NAVLE results too ;) )

Oh yeah, that :) I've been wondering about how that works actually, for those who have experience with it. Is it only offered once a year? When do you take it typically (before or after graduation)? Is there a state component too? If you take it in say WA and pass, what do you have to do if the job offer you want to take is in another state? Just paperwork and money or do you have to requalify?

Oh yeah, that :) I've been wondering about how that works actually, for those who have experience with it. Is it only offered once a year? When do you take it typically (before or after graduation)? Is there a state component too? If you take it in say WA and pass, what do you have to do if the job offer you want to take is in another state? Just paperwork and money or do you have to requalify?

The NAVLE is offered twice a year. There are a few weeks the test is offered in late Nov/early Dec and then again for a few weeks in April. It's taken during your 4th year and results come back early January.

Once you have passed the NAVLE you can practice anywhere in the US but you have to have a state license for each state you intend to work in. WA has a very easy test, you send in some money and do a very simple questionnaire. I think I remember it being open book or equivalently easy. Most states are no trouble, especially after you're stared down the NAVLE. Mostly it's a question of sending in money and making sure you filled out the right forms. California and Hawaii take a bit more work - CA especially you have to get fingerprints and visit another test center in CA for a pass/fail test on a computer.

I wouldn't worry about it though. WSU has a very high NAVLE pass rate, something like 98% or better. Not to say it isn't nerve-wracking in its own right, but pretty much everyone comes out fine.

I just got an email around 2pm saying I'm accepted!!! I hope the rest of you get your emails soon as well! :soexcited:

Just putting in I also just got an email about being accepted about an hour ago. It's happening!

Oh my goodness! Congrats y'all!! When did you interview?

Oh gosh guys. It's happening. Everyone BRACE.

Congrats and good work! Wow, three days...that's fast. According to the WSU calendar they were doing all all the WA interviews on 1/20 and 1/21, but clearly that wasn't accurate :)

Congrats and good work! Wow, three days...that's fast. According to the WSU calendar they were doing all all the WA interviews on 1/20 and 1/21, but clearly that wasn't accurate :)
Maybe they're IS from Utah? I think those were the dates I posted on the first page of this thread.

Maybe they're IS from Utah? I think those were the dates I posted on the first page of this thread.

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear. I'm IS in Utah, did my interview this last Tuesday. It was a really fast turnover! I'm so excited to get to know all the other students better this fall. I've been walking on air since hearing yesterday, I can't believe it!

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear. I'm IS in Utah, did my interview this last Tuesday. It was a really fast turnover! I'm so excited to get to know all the other students better this fall. I've been walking on air since hearing yesterday, I can't believe it!

I won't lie, that is a relief, since I'm in IS WA, and I'm just hoping they haven't notified IS WA applicants.

Congratulations to you, I hope we get to be classmates!

I won't lie, that is a relief, since I'm in IS WA, and I'm just hoping they haven't notified IS WA applicants.

Yep, you and about a hundred other people were instantly very worried :)

Congratulations to you, I hope we get to be classmates!

Thank you so much and I hope we can be classmates, too! I was shocked that they got back to us so soon in comparison to IS Washington people, but relieved all the same. My fingers are crossed for you and i hope you hear soon!

I'm also IS Utah, I'd guess they'd take longer to announc IS Wa since there were so many more of you!

Just got an email! I'm in!

IS Washington!

Reactions: 3 users
Late to the party, but accepted IS/WA as well! :) congrats, y'all!

Reactions: 4 users
Any OOS applicants have their interview today? Mine is on Friday!!!:D

Any OOS applicants have their interview today? Mine is on Friday!!!:D
OOS interview Thursday! Anyone going to the meet/greet on Thursday evening? Or anyone that has been to one, what did you wear? I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but y'know...

OOS interview Thursday! Anyone going to the meet/greet on Thursday evening? Or anyone that has been to one, what did you wear? I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but y'know...

The meet and greet at the end of the day is pretty casual. All the vet students who attended had just gotten out of their classes, so they were pretty informally-dressed. I say you should just look clean and generally appropriate.