WSU/USU c/o 2018 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a phone call for a WICHE sponsored position today, well now yesterday b/c I can't sleep!!!
Congrats!!! I'm glad to see movement at WSU (even if it's not from OOS pool)
@burnt_toast_91 they actually don't rank the waitlists, they kinda get together again and decide who to fill spots with. And the WICHE pool is separate from the OOS and IS pools so it might not be telling of what is happening with our pool :/

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but I just don't get the no ranking thing. If you're just going to get together again and figure out who is the next best candidate, isn't that basically saying that person is now ranked #1, but you just decided it now instead of back after interviews? Wouldn't it be less work to rank everyone earlier?

Yea, they don't rank, I didn't get to talk to Dr. Talcott, she left a message for me and it just said my name was released from WICHE. I really didn't expect this because I got a letter in January saying I was denied...so that must have been for OOS?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but I just don't get the no ranking thing. If you're just going to get together again and figure out who is the next best candidate, isn't that basically saying that person is now ranked #1, but you just decided it now instead of back after interviews? Wouldn't it be less work to rank everyone earlier?
They try to look at who denied their position at the school and fill the spot with someone who fits that person's spot (small animal vs large animal etc) in a way they rerank but it is based on who they need I guess.

Yea, they don't rank, I didn't get to talk to Dr. Talcott, she left a message for me and it just said my name was released from WICHE. I really didn't expect this because I got a letter in January saying I was denied...so that must have been for OOS?

Maybe other people denied their funded seats for your state and a spot to fund you came up!

So as April 15th slowly approaches, thought I would put this out there just in case anyone else is in the same boat. I am IS (Idaho) for WSU and Dr. Talcott informed me that two people in the Idaho pool had not yet informed WSU of their decisions as of today. Soo, with that being said there is still some hope if anyone else is waiting to hear back. And just in case one of those people is on here, come on already!!! :beat:

I turned down my WICHE acceptance, here's to hoping someone on here gets it! Good luck!

at this point, i just can't stand the waiting anymore! i just want to knowwwwwwww

Reactions: 1 users
i read on a the Official Waitlist c/o 2018 thread that someone had talked to them on Monday and there were still 2 people who hadn't told them if they wanted the spot or not, but since it's the 17th already, I'm kind of losing hope :(

i read on a the Official Waitlist c/o 2018 thread that someone had talked to them on Monday and there were still 2 people who hadn't told them if they wanted the spot or not, but since it's the 17th already, I'm kind of losing hope :(
You mean only 2 people from OOS had not said? But does that mean everyone else accepted? Cause it could mean that others could have said no. They meet up again after the 15th if there are open spots am since the list isn't ranked.

they said this on Tuesday

"The admissions contact at WSU said they won't know until AFTER today whether or not they will be calling on people from the alternate list. There are apparently still 2 people in the pool I am in that have not given their decisions yet. Talk about waiting until the last minute!!!!"

i'm hoping you're right and that others said no too!!

Members don't see this ad :)
they said this on Tuesday

"The admissions contact at WSU said they won't know until AFTER today whether or not they will be calling on people from the alternate list. There are apparently still 2 people in the pool I am in that have not given their decisions yet. Talk about waiting until the last minute!!!!"

i'm hoping you're right and that others said no too!!
I'm assuming the author of that post is in the OOS pool? Also, some of the people who "gave their decision" could have given a "no" so the answer was pretty vague :) I think I'll call tomorrow morning and see what's up. I'm hoping to find out how many, if any, spots are open for OOS pool. Trying to stay positive, but I'm also a tad worried.

Alright. Just called Barbara. I asked if there were any spots open in the OOS pool and she said "at this time we aren't making any more offers. We might down the road if something opens up but right now we are not". :(

Alright. Just called Barbara. I asked if there were any spots open in the OOS pool and she said "at this time we aren't making any more offers. We might down the road if something opens up but right now we are not". :(
Grrrrrr.....not what we wanted to hear...

Grrrrrr.....not what we wanted to hear...
Sorry me either... At least we can all accept our futures now. I've already started getting a million times more excited about Purdue!

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry me either... At least we can all accept our futures now. I've already started getting a million times more excited about Purdue!
congrats on Purdue. No active options here. It is wait list or nothing. Better get a back up plan...boo...unless the lists fall apart it won't be a happy fall...

@mcmom me too! i have a couple back-up plans but i was really hoping i wouldnt need them :(
I am there with you. Trying to be optimistic and it would be way easier if there was a lock on vet school SOMEWHERE...seems like almost everyone who is waiting on a wait list already has been accepted elsewhere so not getting off the wait list isn't as big of a deal to them. Feeling pretty alone out here in the "if wait lists don't move vet school won't be a reality this year." If "wanting to get in" were a prereq those who want it so badly would have a zillion acceptances and not stuck on waitlists. so very frustrating. comparatively, the grades, the gre, the letters of rec are all similar so I don't get why there were no offers. feeling pretty sorry for myself.

Nothing in the Idaho pool moving either. Same thing happened last year, no alternates called (or at least not very many IF any)

I am there with you. Trying to be optimistic and it would be way easier if there was a lock on vet school SOMEWHERE...seems like almost everyone who is waiting on a wait list already has been accepted elsewhere so not getting off the wait list isn't as big of a deal to them. Feeling pretty alone out here in the "if wait lists don't move vet school won't be a reality this year." If "wanting to get in" were a prereq those who want it so badly would have a zillion acceptances and not stuck on waitlists. so very frustrating. comparatively, the grades, the gre, the letters of rec are all similar so I don't get why there were no offers. feeling pretty sorry for myself.
Hey, you're not alone there. This is my 3rd time applying and I'm still stuck on 4 waitlists without any calls. It's hard, and I'm struggling too, but keep your head up.

Hey, you're not alone there. This is my 3rd time applying and I'm still stuck on 4 waitlists without any calls. It's hard, and I'm struggling too, but keep your head up.
I will send up extra good luck for you...when you get in, think of how amazing it will be! Such great perseverance! Let's hope third time is a charm for you...if anyone should/needs/ must get it, you should!!!!!

"get in" ---not "get it" although that might fit too. Again, best of luck...I am rooting hard for you!

Hello all! I am a member of the incoming 2018 class at the Pullman campus and I wanted to get a head start on posting the housing unit I have available. I recently purchased a 2-story house on Military Hill in the town of Pullman and have the first-story unit, 2 bedrooms/1 bath, up for rent as early as June of this summer. This unit is complete with a full kitchen, 1 vehicle "on-site" parking, easy street parking, private enclosed front porch, possibly pet-friendly, and located across the street from one of the main bus routes. Limited utilities included in rent costs. If anyone is interested please respond to this message. Thank you so much! Looking forward to meeting all my other classmates!

Hi all, I'm an incoming 1st year and just bought a super nice 3 bedroom home in golden hills (nice quiet neighborhood in pullman on the bus line I to campus next to a bike trail) with a 6' fenced back yard and nice front patio. I would like to rent out two rooms to classmates for $350 if you want one of two ~11x11 rooms with a shared bathroom on one side of the house, or if you want the larger master bed with private full bath and walk in closet on opposite side of the house it would be more. W/S/G incl., we would split cost of electric/internet. I plan to install a doggie door for my friendly whippet mix, (see my profile pic) and just about any other pets you might have/want are welcome!
Hi! I am also interested in this! is it still available?

ALSO: to all incoming WSU vet students- I made a fb group for us! I thought that might be an easier way to discuss housing and such and meet each other
https://www.facebook.com/groups/603984803031003/

please join!
upperclassmen you should feel free to join to- I know I would appreciate any advice or insight!

Hello all! I am a member of the incoming 2018 class at the Pullman campus and I wanted to get a head start on posting the housing unit I have available. I recently purchased a 2-story house on Military Hill in the town of Pullman and have the first-story unit, 2 bedrooms/1 bath, up for rent as early as June of this summer. This unit is complete with a full kitchen, 1 vehicle "on-site" parking, easy street parking, private enclosed front porch, possibly pet-friendly, and located across the street from one of the main bus routes. Limited utilities included in rent costs. If anyone is interested please respond to this message. Thank you so much! Looking forward to meeting all my other classmates!

Hey I am interested if this is still potentially open! Also wondering if you would you consider a dog :)

I got pulled off the wait list as a WA resident yesterday for c/o 2018. Best if luck to everyone waiting to hear!

Hi all, I'm an incoming 1st year and just bought a super nice 3 bedroom home in golden hills (nice quiet neighborhood in pullman on the bus line I to campus next to a bike trail) with a 6' fenced back yard and nice front patio. I would like to rent out two rooms to classmates for $350 if you want one of two ~11x11 rooms with a shared bathroom on one side of the house, or if you want the larger master bed with private full bath and walk in closet on opposite side of the house it would be more. W/S/G incl., we would split cost of electric/internet. I plan to install a doggie door for my friendly whippet mix, (see my profile pic) and just about any other pets you might have/want are welcome!

Also wondering if you have any spots open still! Have a doggie I'd like to bring with me :)

Hi all! I know I've read on the forum that a lot of vet students rent or own trailers in Pullman and I was curious if anyone had any more information? We are considering both rentals or buying (of trailers or homes) because we have a young son, dog, cat and large fish tank. Does anyone know if there is a facebook group or other listserve that current students that might be a good place to ask this also?

Thanks and can't wait to meet everyone!!

Hi all! I know I've read on the forum that a lot of vet students rent or own trailers in Pullman and I was curious if anyone had any more information? We are considering both rentals or buying (of trailers or homes) because we have a young son, dog, cat and large fish tank. Does anyone know if there is a facebook group or other listserve that current students that might be a good place to ask this also?

I just went through this process, most of the trailers I looked at I found on www.realtor.com or CL. Also, if you email Barbara, she had a list of quite a few trailers for sale by 4th year students, though that was like 2-3 months ago so I'm not sure how many are left at this point. Best of luck!

Also look at Moscow if you don't find anything you like in Pullman. It's an easy 15-20 minute commute and a nice place to live.

Thanks a bunch! Need to stay in Pullman since I'm a WA resident.

I JUST GOT CALLED OFF OF THE WAITLIST!!! This is surreal... Anyone want to point me in the direction of looking for housing? I don't know where to start...

Reactions: 3 users
I JUST GOT CALLED OFF OF THE WAITLIST!!! This is surreal... Anyone want to point me in the direction of looking for housing? I don't know where to start...

CONGRATS!!!!!

Anyone living in Pullman still looking for a roommate? I am trying my hardest to find one!