WSU (Washington State) C/O 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't tell me if I counted months wrong. It's late and I have sleepy brain.

Members don't see this ad.

Washington and Idaho went out 1st week of November last year. WAMI was around then, too. OOS went out a little later.

Did you get an interview last year? (If I remember correctly, this is your second time applying...my apologies if I'm wrong!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
What was the interview like? Did they offer you a file review after the rejection? If you don't mind sharing, of course :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

I did a file review with the head of admissions. She was also one of the people on my interview committee, so taking to her was really helpful. I think they (the committee) knew from the start they weren't going to accept me, but they liked some parts of my application enough that I got to go through that stage before I was rejected. If that makes sense. :) The file review was really great. I feel like I stumbled around in the dark a lot last year with my application, and now I actually know what I'm doing to some extent. I've worked on everything they wanted me to improve, so hopefully this year I'll be more successful. :xf:

The interview was fun! They don't have the essay portion anymore - my undergrad thought they did, but that's outdated info. It went really quickly and I felt reasonably prepared for all of their questions. It was a really conversational atmosphere. They asked about current legislation and disease outbreaks, but they did it in a round about way so you wouldn't know what they were asking unless you were familiar with the topic already. Maybe that was just my committee's style though. Only one question tripped me up, and it was one of the ones my advisor told me to expect. :rolleyes: They also asked a scenario question, like 'what would you do if a client . . . ' There were tours and a panel discussion in the evening after interviews, and those were also really great. One guy on the panel talked about how he applied to WSU three times before he was accepted, and after I got my rejection his comments made me feel a little better about everything. It helped to have that prospective.

Just got an email today that they've received my application and it is ready to be viewed by the committee. Does anyone when they send out interview? About how many they interview, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just got an email today that they've received my application and it is ready to be viewed by the committee. Does anyone when they send out interview? About how many they interview, etc?

I got the same email! I'm pretty sure interviews are January-February so we will probably hear about interviews in November or December. But I have no idea about how many they interview!!

Reactions: 1 user
I got the same email! I'm pretty sure interviews are January-February so we will probably hear about interviews in November or December. But I have no idea about how many they interview!!

I didn't get such an email. Should I be nervous? :S

I didn't get such an email. Should I be nervous? :S

I didn't get one either, but I know they got my supplemental/GRE/etc. I'm sure they're sending them out as they process applications- UC Davis also staggered these emails over a few days.

Everyone will get that email eventually, it's just confirming they have everything including your VMCAS app :)

I got mine around this time last year and had turned in my app mid-August, and I remember other people getting them around then or way later, it was really random.

Yup, the e-mails are staggered. I got one in September. They seem to send things out in waves by application pool - or maybe there is no order, and it's all random . . . who knows. Don't freak out though. I think my portal's status updated before the e-mail was sent, so maybe keep an eye there as well if you're worried.

Last year Idaho and Washington heard about interviews the first week of November. OOS and contract seats seemed to hear in batches through November and into December, and rejections were going out at late as Christmas.

Members don't see this ad :)
this will be my Christmas gift

Hey, don't think that way! I definitely didn't think I'd be accepted last cycle, and here I am now :) you never know what the future has in store!

At least it's easy to drown grief and disappointment in a mountain of Christmas cookies and hot chocolate? And Christmas movies!

We were burning a cinnamon scented candle the other day and it smelled like holiday happiness. :love:

If I'm completely honest with myself I don't think my application is good enough, and I think I'm okay with that. The debt is really scary and although I will be hugely disappointed to say goodbye to this career path, there are others out there.

I just want to be flat-out rejected this year if I'm not accepted. Being rejected after interviewing was really difficult. I couldn't imagine myself in vet school until I was there for my interview and I toured the hospital and talked to so many current students, and then I wanted to be there so badly. The funny thing is that last year my co-worker and I both said we were okay with rejection as long as we made it to interviews.

I just want to be at that point in my life where I can stop wondering if I'm good enough to be accepted and worrying about what I'll do if I'm not.

Hey, don't think that way! I definitely didn't think I'd be accepted last cycle, and here I am now :) you never know what the future has in store!

You probably had higher than a 3.1...:(

If I'm completely honest with myself I don't think my application is good enough, and I think I'm okay with that. The debt is really scary and although I will be hugely disappointed to say goodbye to this career path, there are others out there.

I just want to be flat-out rejected this year if I'm not accepted. Being rejected after interviewing was really difficult. I couldn't imagine myself in vet school until I was there for my interview and I toured the hospital and talked to so many current students, and then I wanted to be there so badly. The funny thing is that last year my co-worker and I both said we were okay with rejection as long as we made it to interviews.

I just want to be at that point in my life where I can stop wondering if I'm good enough to be accepted and worrying about what I'll do if I'm not.

So much this! This is my first cycle applying, but I expect there to be at least one or two more. I can't imagine the feeling of being rejected after interviewing, after having come so far...

Are you a WA resident? Or a WICHE resident? Those things help, right?

However, for what it's worth (not much coming from me, I reckon), I think that after what you've told me about last cycle and improving upon what they recommended, they will see your dedication and persistence and you will be a shoe(shoo?)-in!

Are you a WA resident? Or a WICHE resident? Those things help, right?

Idaho! It does help. There are usually about 40 people who apply and WSU accepts 11, so it really is a tiny pool.

But then, last year there were only 29 students who applied, so . . . I felt super great when I found out the pool was 1/4 smaller than normal and I was still rejected. :laugh:

However, for what it's worth (not much coming from me, I reckon), I think that after what you've told me about last cycle and improving upon what they recommended, they will see your dedication and persistence and you will be a shoe(shoo?)-in!

Thanks. :)

I just noticed that the date they received my VMCAS application keeps changing on the portal -- today it says "We received your VMCAS application on 10/12/2016"

In the past, it has stated the day I actually submitted my VMCAS application, then changed again about a week later. I haven't been checking too often, so I'm not sure if it has changed between now and then. Anyone else notice it?

I just noticed that the date they received my VMCAS application keeps changing on the portal -- today it says "We received your VMCAS application on 10/12/2016"

In the past, it has stated the day I actually submitted my VMCAS application, then changed again about a week later. I haven't been checking too often, so I'm not sure if it has changed between now and then. Anyone else notice it?
I think mine changed like 5 times last year.

Said on my portal that it was received yesterday. I didn't get an email, so check your portal :)

This year I'm hoping to receive at least one interview, +/- any acceptances. I had none last year (though CSU wasn't doing them of course), which I sort of expected because it was like my "test run", but I'd like to know that I've made enough improvement.

We need to have a party when everyone comes to town for interviews! We can get Ferdinand's ice cream together. It's delicious and the best thing about Pullman.

We need to have a party when everyone comes to town for interviews! We can get Ferdinand's ice cream together. It's delicious and the best thing about Pullman.

Sign me up, hell even if I don't get an interview I will fly clear across the country to have some. Because apparently I'm just that into ice cream :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Yes!! I'm down.

Would any of you happen to know how much WSU appreciates research experience? I know some schools do more than others, and I haven't heard a lot about it with regards to them. Just curious!

P.S. Ice cream would be great!! :p

Would any of you happen to know how much WSU appreciates research experience? I know some schools do more than others, and I haven't heard a lot about it with regards to them. Just curious!

P.S. Ice cream would be great!! :p
It's nice but not required. It's probably one of those things that will set you apart if it comes down to you vs. another applicant for a seat.

It's nice but not required. It's probably one of those things that will set you apart if it comes down to you vs. another applicant for a seat.
Yay! I have research experience with apple snail population trends in the Everglades & the Horizon Oil Spill deep sea bacteria. I didn't do anything groundbreaking but was still involved.

Yay! I have research experience with apple snail population trends in the Everglades & the Horizon Oil Spill deep sea bacteria. I didn't do anything groundbreaking but was still involved.

Everyone does such cool/unique/exciting stuff. I study ovaries. Woohoo.

Everyone does such cool/unique/exciting stuff. I study ovaries. Woohoo.
Haha I analysed data in excel and then streaked bacterial cultures for colony morphologies. Not exciting.
Ovaries are super cool, what are you talking about?! Ovaries before brovaries.

When do you think they will send out interview invitations?

When do you think they will send out interview invitations?

To quote myself ;)

Yup, the e-mails are staggered. I got one in September. They seem to send things out in waves by application pool - or maybe there is no order, and it's all random . . . who knows. Don't freak out though. I think my portal's status updated before the e-mail was sent, so maybe keep an eye there as well if you're worried.

Last year Idaho and Washington heard about interviews the first week of November. OOS and contract seats seemed to hear in batches through November and into December, and rejections were going out at late as Christmas.

Oh didn't see that post. Or at least I don't remember thank you!

Still haven't gotten an email--anyone else in the same boat?

Same here.
I wonder if they're emailing in waves based on what tier you're in?
My portal says that my application is complete and under review, but I never got an email.
It says my VMCAS was received on 10/12, but it was definitely received long before that.

Same here.
I wonder if they're emailing in waves based on what tier you're in?
My portal says that my application is complete and under review, but I never got an email.
It says my VMCAS was received on 10/12, but it was definitely received long before that.

Yeah, mine says 10/12 now as well. It changes every so often. I'm tier 2, so maybe I have a little while to wait.

Yeah, mine says 10/12 now as well. It changes every so often. I'm tier 2, so maybe I have a little while to wait.

I just got mine yesterday, so they're still rolling them out. My last name's in the middle of the alphabet, I submitted VMCAS on September 14 (I think), and I'm tier one (but I doubt they've looked at what tier anyone's in if they're only marking things as complete now).

I don't think they're emailing by tiers either. My last name starts with R, I'm in tier 1, and I submitted on September 3. I probably have a couple more days to wait.

I haven't gotten an email yet, I'm tier 2. I submitted VMCAS on August 14th and WSU supplemental on September 13th.

The only email I received was for the conformation of the supplemental. I'm tier 1 in two categories and my last name starts with M. Honestly though, they're just going through what they have, there is no reason to freak out.

Edit: just got the email a minute ago.

Last edited:
The only email I received was for the conformation of the supplemental. I'm tier 1 in two categories and my last name starts with M. Honestly though, they're just going through what they have, there is no reason to freak out.

Still waiting on mine! Remember everyone, this is probably done by hand on the computer. And by one person or so. My last name is B and I haven't gotten anything.

Are you IS or OOS?! I haven't gotten anything

Don't worry, you'll all get the email eventually :)

Not freaking out lol, just asking where others are in the process! :)

I don't think I've gotten any emails so far. I checked the WSU portal and it says everything is being reviewed though.

Reactions: 1 users