WUCPM Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I too am considering the SMSPP; seems like a good way to get ahead and meet new people.

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently accepted to Western U. I really liked my visit there, but I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can help me with. During the tour one of the students said that during 3rd year rotations you pretty much need to relocate because it's too far to commute. Is this true? Also, what are the exam schedules like- staggered or like multiple on the same day or back to back within the same week? Additionally, when I compare the curriculum to some other programs the number of classes taken each semester is similar, but the number of credits at Western is way higher. Any reason why? Any insight would be awesome!

Reactions: 1 users
I was recently accepted to Western U. I really liked my visit there, but I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can help me with. During the tour one of the students said that during 3rd year rotations you pretty much need to relocate because it's too far to commute. Is this true? Also, what are the exam schedules like- staggered or like multiple on the same day or back to back within the same week? Additionally, when I compare the curriculum to some other programs the number of classes taken each semester is similar, but the number of credits at Western is way higher. Any reason why? Any insight would be awesome!

My best guess on why the credits at WU are higher is maybe because Dr. Harkless is trying to make WU a prestigious health science school- one that sticks out and better prepares it's students for the real world but that's just my two cents.

I'm still perplexed on where to live. I'll have a car but I don't want to have to wait in traffic. I was thinking on campus but the rent is outrageous for a single.

They don't provide housing with the SMSPP program??

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks man! Enjoy it, I have a relative in their DO program and they absolutely love the campus/staff. Im just worried about thise ugly Ds and Cs from a few years back. Yoy really think my one year of bost bacc (40 units) science classes with all As will override that? SUPER NERVOUS/EXCITED.

Hey selldrugs22

I wouldn't worry too much about the D's and C's. I had a few C's during my undergrad years, but my post bacc grades were all A's except one or two B's and I got into WesternU. I think what matters most is your post bacc grades and MCAT score. Best of luck!!1

Hey everyone!

I am an incoming Western U DMP student as well! I'm glad I found this forum because I couldn't find a group on Facebook or anything! haha
I'm planning on taking the Summer prep course (SMSPP), so hopefully I will meet some of you then!

I'm from Orange County, CA, so if any of you are also locals, hopefully we can connect and meet up before school starts! :)

Reactions: 3 users
we should really get a WUCPM 2019 facebook page started

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone!

I am an incoming Western U DMP student as well! I'm glad I found this forum because I couldn't find a group on Facebook or anything! haha
I'm planning on taking the Summer prep course (SMSPP), so hopefully I will meet some of you then!

I'm from Orange County, CA, so if any of you are also locals, hopefully we can connect and meet up before school starts! :)

Hey, I'm from OC too and most likely will be taking the SMSPP course as well. I'd love to grab a cup of coffee and meet up. Currently out of the country for another week or so. I'll PM you when I get back sometime. Anyone else local? It'll be nice to share the excitement and quell some jitters before starting school :D

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds great!

I'll be out of town the last week of April, but we'll definitely make it happen before school/smssp starts!! :)

we should really get a WUCPM 2019 facebook page started

Yes! I totally agree. I'm pretty sure someone from Western has to be the official admin to allow ppl in the group though. I could call Western to see if it's possible for someone to create/organize a Facebook group if you like!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes! I totally agree. I'm pretty sure someone from Western has to be the official admin to allow ppl in the group though. I could call Western to see if it's possible for someone to create/organize a Facebook group if you like!
Yes!! we would all appreciate that.

Yes!! we would all appreciate that.

Update on the Facebook page! I called Western and we are allowed to make a page on our own. Western will not be affiliated/contribute to the page, so it will be all on us to find our fellow classmates and invite them to the group.

I'm down to start the page! Who else wants to help with the page and invite/find classmates? I'm friends with a couple pple on Facebook who will be in our class, so them plus everyone on this forum will be a great start! :)

Facebook Group is made! Message me your emails to be added to the group! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Tuition for the 2015/2016 year will be $35,440

Hey everyone! I have been a longtime SDN lurker but made an account so I can introduce myself here :rofl:
I'm from Orange County as well. I went to California Baptist University (graduated 2014) in Riverside so am familiar with the inland empire and orange county.
I'll be doing the intensive summer anatomy course (ISAC) starting in June - although I am still waiting confirmation from Dr. Kuehn. So I'll be moving in to the Damier early.

I would love to join some/all of you for coffee!

Hi guys, so after recalculating my gpa I have a 3.35 cumulative
2.90 science

Very strong upward trend, 35 units post bac straight As.

Will take my mcat in the summer.

So my question is if I have a shot at Western with that science gpa?

For those of you at Western or looking to go to Western, where are you guys living?! I was looking at the place right on campus (Daumier), but a 2/2 would push around 1,100 for rent. That doesn't leave much loan money for living expenses for the rest of the month. Around 130ish a week for food, clothing, moving expenses, furniture, misc expenses, ect.....is there a cheaper place you would recommend for incoming students to look at? I understand also that helix and the one next to Daumier are cheaper in rent, but do not include utilities, parking, laundry, ect. which all I think will add up to the same price as Daumier.

I plan on living solely on loan money. Do you guys recommend working while enrolled in school?

For those of you at Western or looking to go to Western, where are you guys living?! I was looking at the place right on campus (Daumier), but a 2/2 would push around 1,100 for rent. That doesn't leave much loan money for living expenses for the rest of the month. Around 130ish a week for food, clothing, moving expenses, furniture, misc expenses, ect.....is there a cheaper place you would recommend for incoming students to look at? I understand also that helix and the one next to Daumier are cheaper in rent, but do not include utilities, parking, laundry, ect. which all I think will add up to the same price as Daumier.

I plan on living solely on loan money. Do you guys recommend working while enrolled in school?

Hmm.. I hadn't considered how much loan money we are allocated per month. I'm waiting for Western's financial aid to call me back so I can ask them some more questions on it. I'll also call the Damier and ask them a few questions on this as well. When you factor in the convenience to campus, no parking permit fee, almost all utilities included, study rooms, free laundry, free coffee, etc.. The Daumier seems like a very attractive option to me. However, you bring up a great point.. we have to eat! I feel like there has to be some solution to this. I'll try to make some calls tomorrow and find out!

But as for working on campus, I'm pretty sold on the intensive summer anatomy course. It's a crazy difficult 5-6 weeks but if you pass the class with a score higher than 80% you are eligible to be a teacher assistant/facilitator for the fall semester. It pays about $9/hour, but it also is awesome because anatomy is important to know throughout school/residency/life

Hi aries89

I know some people who lives in Chino Hills and Claremont. It's really close to school, safe, and nicer than Pomona. I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to work during school. It's going to be our first year in med school and believe the work load is going to be intense.

Actually, the Helix includes the utilities, minus the electric (just like Daumier).

Has anyone received information about their financial aid?

2.90 science

2.90 science

It would be better if you could get your sGPA to a 3.0 or above, but if you do well on your mcat and apply very early (August or September), you might have a shot.

Hi everyone! I hope your first year at Western is going well. I'm most likely going to attend Western next year, and I just wanted to know how you guys like the school so far? Do you like the problem-based learning approach?