WVSOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you at WVSOM, I have Sprint, and when I was up there for the interview, I had no signaling whatsoever. I researched T-Mobile and Verizon and both networks have coverage at that area. What cell phone coverage do most of you have and how has it worked out so far? Thanks!

I have cingular/AT&T and I have no problem with service. I don't know about the coverage but it worked great in Lewisburg when I was up there. Are you an upcoming student? Look forward to meeting you in orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have Verizon? I'm thinking of getting that. I look forward to meeting you too at orientation.

ATT works in most of the surrounding areas. There are towers in Ronceverte, White Sulphur, Alderson, and Lewisburg. Most of the areas that would have housing for WVSOM students. I think verizon has service there but can't use address in lewisburg if I remember correct since verizon technically has no stores and towers that they own in WV as a whole. Best of luck during the long and arduous process of applying

First interview invite!! :)
Interview on 9/15, and I got the afternoon one so I don't have to be there til 10:15. (Which is good because I don't do mornings well)
Anyone else interviewing this date?!
Trying to decide whether to drive or fly..

interview on 9/5! i read these posts and now i'm worried b/c i have sprint! anyway, i'm interviewing in the morning. can't wait :)

Interview on 9/15, and I got the afternoon one so I don't have to be there til 10:15. (Which is good because I don't do mornings well)

how long did it take for you to receive the secondary and interview invite after you received the first email that only has the log in

how long did it take for you to receive the secondary and interview invite after you received the first email that only has the log in

I got the email with the logon info yesterday. This morning I went on their status check page and it said "decision pending" and underneath "you have been granted an interview" Then this afternoon I got the official email with the date of my interview on it. So only a day later! Hopefully the same for you =)

I am deferred. I am assuming they are waiting for my second mcat to come in.

deferred too.
i just took mcat yesterday.

:thumbup:

Deferred too. Just retook MCAT August 5th...

Hoping for an interview. Just logged in and got "decision pending" but I hope that changes soon!!

How long after you all got the login did they defer/interview you?

Members don't see this ad :)
got the interview invite the day after the login info

got the interview invite the day after the login info

Ahh it's Friday so I guess I'll be waiting till next week. That's crazy they grant interviews prior to the supplemental.

I'd imagine getting one is making it past a big cut.

i'm with you cp22kjer...hope we get some awesome news on monday!

Diddo. I received my email confirmation with ID and PIN#'s on Wednesday (08/06) and I still have a "decision pending" comment. Good luck everyone.

What is the average gpa/mcat for matriculants here? Anyone know?

What is the average gpa/mcat for matriculants here? Anyone know?

don't know how old this is but i'm sure those stats have gone up a bit...it's just something to go off of.

any news for today? i'm still "decision pending"....comon WV!

Hey guys,

I added a few schools after my verification in June, including WVSOM, and was verified on August 6th. How long did it take after verification for you to get your secondaries from this school? With my first batch of schools I was verified 6/20 and recieved secondaries 7/2 and 7/10. Is it safe to assume that it will be about the same time frame?

Thanks for the info!

you get the secondary if you get an interview. i was released on 7/2 and got a "under review" email on 8/6 and interview invite on 8/7

Released on 7/23, "status email" on 8/8 and am still "decision pending".....

I'm interviewing on 9/15 too! :) In the morning though.

Awesome on getting an interview! How does the secondary look like? Did they say to send the secondary to them or do you bring it to the interview? Also, did you send your letters of recommendation yet?:scared::boom:

you get the secondary if you get an interview. i was released on 7/2 and got a "under review" email on 8/6 and interview invite on 8/7

hey....looking at the tuition on the website...it seems rediculous for out of staters huh? Anyone know how accurate this is?

I already sent my LOR, but I'm sending the supplemental next week (Need to get paid before i can send it!) You send it in and everythign has to be received before your interview date.

and the tuition is correct. outrageous i know. oh well.

hey....looking at the tuition on the website...it seems rediculous for out of staters huh? Anyone know how accurate this is?

Accurate. It is tremendously expensive.

Hey guys! I am starting to get a little concerned because I have not heard anything form this school yet. I was verified 8/6. I spoke with the director of admissions last week on the phone and he said that when they receive my application information I will get the pin or something to check my status online. I just feel like they should have gotten my application from AACOMAS by now, since the other three schools I added at the same time as WVSOM have already received my secondaries!

Should I call and double check? Is this long of a wait normal?
Sorry if I sound a little paniced, I am REALLY interested in this school!

Hey guys! I am starting to get a little concerned because I have not heard anything form this school yet. I was verified 8/6. I spoke with the director of admissions last week on the phone and he said that when they receive my application information I will get the pin or something to check my status online. I just feel like they should have gotten my application from AACOMAS by now, since the other three schools I added at the same time as WVSOM have already received my secondaries!

Should I call and double check? Is this long of a wait normal?
Sorry if I sound a little paniced, I am REALLY interested in this school!

This was one of the last schools I heard from. I had all my other secondaries done (I was released on 7/2) and i believe it was August 6 when I finally heard from WVSOM. You can always call and check though. And they only give secondaries to people that are chosen to interview. So you won't necessarily get a 2ndary right away, but it would be good to call and see if they will give you ur pin#

Thanks! I learned (from my above post) that they only give secondaries to people they interview...what about our LORs?

I am so excited! I leave in 5 days for WV... Interviewing on 9/3. I am hoping the day before to just spend some time wandering around the town. Is anyone else going to be there around 9/3?

Thanks! I learned (from my above post) that they only give secondaries to people they interview...what about our LORs?

I sent 1 DO and 1 Science which met their requirements.

I am also interviewing on the 3rd. I plan on driving to Lewisburg the evening prior.

I received an interview on september 12th. i've tried to pm about 5 active sdn students, but no one seems to be responding. if anyone from wvsom sees this, do u mind pming me so we can chat a little more? thanks a lot. i really appreciate it. after learning more about wvsom, i would really like to attend. i know a guy in the airforce that graduated from wvsom and said it was the best place that he interviewed at. he made a 33 on his mcat and chose this school out of all the schools that he applied to, allopathic and osteopathic. hes doing a residency in anesthesiology now.

I sent 1 DO and 1 Science which met their requirements.

Thanks, so when did you send them? After you got your interview, or can we send them before they make a decision? I guess I'm a little thrown off by their process of secondaries and stuff.

Thanks, so when did you send them? After you got your interview, or can we send them before they make a decision? I guess I'm a little thrown off by their process of secondaries and stuff.

I sent them after the interview invite. I believe it's expected that they get them prior to the interview but that's about all they say.

hey i have an interview 9/5 in the morning also...you nervous?

hey i have an interview 9/5 in the morning also...you nervous?

It's my first one. I'm starting to get anxious/nervous/excited. Not sure what to expect but I'm doing my research! Praying that I don't blow it.

Congrats and good luck to all of you with interviews coming up soon! Don't get too stressed out about the interview. Everyone in the admissions office understands that it's a big day for you so they really do try to make things as easy-going and relaxed as possible. Angie and Annette in the admissions office are amazingly sweet people so don't be afraid to ask them questions about anything.

Check out the Interview Feedback section under the Database tab to get an idea of how interviews were conducted during previous application cycles, if you haven't already looked. It definitely helped me get a feel for what kind of questions I could get during my interview. If you have time either before or after your interview, talk to some students or sit in on a class. And definitely check out Lewisburg and any of the surrounding towns just to get an idea of what's around you.

I'm a first-year and we're only about one month in, including orientation week, but I love it here. The classroom resources are amazing and all of the faculty and staff are supportive and helpful and accessible. They really want us all to do well. I applied kind of late last year (AACOMAS app completed in late October). WVSOM was my first interview and I liked it so much that I withdrew my other applications as soon as I was accepted there. If any of you have any questions about interviewing here or what school is like here, feel free to send me a pm or better yet, e-mail me at [email protected]. As you can tell by my post count, I don't exactly check SDN every day but feel free to contact me if you have questions. The first-years have an exam on Wednesday so it might take me a little longer than normal to respond, but I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Best of luck to all of you!

-Alicia Isom, WVSOM OMS-I

Which did you choose, if you are a student here at WVSOM, why? and do you like your decision? :)

Thanks.

My interview is one week from today. Ah!

I just received my interview for 10/3, yeay! Good luck to the rest of you invited for interviews.

My name is *****, and I'm from *****. I recently received my interview confirmation at WVSOM, and was wondering if you could give me some insight about the school from a students perspective. I really want to attend this university and am looking for all the information I can get. First off, what do you like about the school? What was your schedule like during your first year? How many times a week do you have OMM lecture and lab? What are the semesters like? Are they split into blocks? How was your experience with your clinical rotations in your third and fourth years? Which hospitals did you rotate at, and what did you like about them? Is there an open-door policy with professors? Also, do you know anyone that is going the military route? If you do, would you mind giving me their contact information? I'm really considering the air force and any information regarding this would be very helpful. I'm sorry this is such a long message, but I hope you have the time in answering these questions. My interview date is on ***. If there is any information that you would like to add, or anyone that you think I should talk to, please let me know. I appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot,

Received this PM last week. Doing my ICU intern month so been very busy with 30 hour q4 in house call.

Let me try to answer some of these questions for everyone.
What I liked about the school was how most of the faculty reached out to me and made me feel at home. If you put forth effort, they really do become like a second family to you.

My schedule? I was PBL so not fair to answer for most people, but I put in 30-40 hours a week studying/preparing for groups my first year. During exam times I studied in 12 hour blocks. In lecture based, I'm sure people studied around the clock during block week...though I heard through the grapevine that block week no longer exists. One of the newer MS1's will need to expound on that. don't know if things are still split into blocks.

OMM was once a week for a loooooong two and a half hours. The lecture part is dry and I almost never went to it. The hands on part is awesome and where you will receive the bulk of your instruction. Dont freak out about the cranial stuff. Learn what works and what doesn't for yourself. Instructors are for the most part, awesome and very interested in teaching you. Still got through all 2 years with a B in OMM. :)

Did my 3rd year roations in Princeton, WV. Very good experience at Princeton Community hospital. General Surgery, got to participate to the extent of what i was comfortable with and good teaching surgeons. Medicine was awesome, have to read alot though. You get out of your rotations what you put into them. Saw some people just skate through. Others really did well and read. Do the latter.

4th year spent some at Princeton and others on away rotations in urology/surgery. CAMC was a mixed bag, some good, some horrible. I have friends who are of high caliber in the family medicine and ER programs there. New Hanover regional in Wilmington, NC was an awesome experience in my hometown. You have the ability to go places in 4th year, go do so and get the heck out of West Virginia for a bit. :) Lots of opportunity there so schedule your away rotations early.

Military route? I know some people who did and were happy with their choice. Single people did better with it, some of the married people got shipped off and weren't happy with it. Depends on your mindset but military does give you a stipend through school and pays for your education. Not a bad deal if you don't mind government dictating where you go. Definitely not for everyone though.

Hope this answers some of your questions and hope you don't mind me posting your PM, I purposely starred out your name and details.

talk to Angie and Annette in admissions, they are good people and great resources.

Richie thanks for all the info you've supplied about WVSOM. I followed your trail over the years and it's been extremely informative.

Do they still do the auto acceptance thing. I read about it and it seems as if the most recent one was 2006. Just wondering. Because that was after their class size increase.

Do they still do the auto acceptance thing. I read about it and it seems as if the most recent one was 2006. Just wondering. Because that was after their class size increase.

Don't believe so anymore. But I cannot verify this. I'm pretty sure you'll need an interview before acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.