WVSOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have an idea how big the alternate list is? And have all the decision defered been notified of their status. It seems someone was having a meeting with the Dean

I was told there were thirty people on it, but the last time I asked about the size of the Alternate List was the beginning of March, so if someone has a more recent number please feel free to correct me.

Members don't see this ad.

I was told there were thirty people on it, but the last time I asked about the size of the Alternate List was the beginning of March, so if someone has a more recent number please feel free to correct me.

Sow based on that number and what admissions is giving out as a turnover number you have at least a 50-50 change of admission for 2013. Also even using admissions least hopeful nnumbers of turnover that would only leave 15 or so on the alternate list to be possibly rolled over to next year. does this seem correct to everyone?

Sow based on that number and what admissions is giving out as a turnover number you have at least a 50-50 change of admission for 2013. Also even using admissions least hopeful nnumbers of turnover that would only leave 15 or so on the alternate list to be possibly rolled over to next year. does this seem correct to everyone?

There would be a 50-50 chance anyway. They either vote yes or no...

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless they decide to vote "decision deferred." That would just suck.

Unless they decide to vote "decision deferred." That would just suck.

Are they still doing decision defered or have they all been notified of their fate? Thanks

They are still doing decision deferred and alternate list- i Just got alternate list yesterday and called them to find out they are voting on the automatic acceptance for 2013 in three weeks. I met with the Dean last week and still didnt get in. First time ever posting to a forum

They are still doing decision deferred and alternate list- i Just got alternate list yesterday and called them to find out they are voting on the automatic acceptance for 2013 in three weeks. I met with the Dean last week and still didnt get in. First time ever posting to a forum

They told me the same thing two weeks ago :(

More prolonging the agony. They surely must have a number that they think will be needed for seats that open and then a reserve on top. Why draw out the agony for all the rest

Actually if you don't mind when did you interview? There was another poster who also had a Deans meeting in late March

Actually if you don't mind when did you interview? There was another poster who also had a Deans meeting in late March

I had my first interview on Feb 22nd and met with the dean March 22nd.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called admissions today and they said there has been no movement. no one from the current seated class has withdrawn.

Why were you asked to meet with the dean?

He wanted to get to know me, as odd as that sounds. I talked with Danny Seams this morning and he said its a good thing because the dean makes a case by case decision on who will fill the spot if someone drops out and then a case by case on if the alternate list people will receive an automatic spot for 2013. If Im recalling correctly, he said there was no numbered list

He wanted to get to know me, as odd as that sounds. I talked with Danny Seams this morning and he said its a good thing because the dean makes a case by case decision on who will fill the spot if someone drops out and then a case by case on if the alternate list people will receive an automatic spot for 2013. If Im recalling correctly, he said there was no numbered list

Cograds. But what do they do with all of the decision defered? When are they either moved to the alt list or rejected? I assume the interview cycle is done for the year

Has anybody from alternate list been accepted yet?

Talked to Angie in admissions today... She said she wasn't sure on the exact number, but she guessed around 60 or so. Not quite as promising for the rest of us as the 30 from the beginning of March.

Talked to Angie in admissions today... She said she wasn't sure on the exact number, but she guessed around 60 or so. Not quite as promising for the rest of us as the 30 from the beginning of March.

how are they going to accept the alternate listers if there are 60. I heard there are no rankings, but that doesnt make sense unless they are going to admit everyone on the list in chronological order from when they interviewed. any thoughts?

I just got an email form Admissions and was told there is about a 100 on alternate list and no movement since second deposit! A 100?? I guess the chances are getting slimmer and slimmer!
Plus, my MCAT score expires after this cycle? Is anyone in the same situation??

Last edited:
I just got an email form Admissions and was told there is about a 100 on alternate list and no movement since second deposit! A 100?? I guess the chances are getting slimmer and slimmer!
Plus, my MCAT score expires after this cycle? Is anyone in the same situation??

You got an email from admissions? That seems like a really strange email for it to include something saying there was no movement. Did anyone else get this? I haven't received any email from them since I was placed on the alternate list.

I emailed them first asking, how many there was on alternate list and if there was any movement. They didn't emailed me on their own.

I emailed them first asking, how many there was on alternate list and if there was any movement. They didn't emailed me on their own.

Did they say if there are still any decision defered peop;le pending; since this would increase the number of Alternates

Did they say if there are still any decision defered peop;le pending; since this would increase the number of Alternates
Unfortunately, there was no information about deferred list.

For those who were on the alternate list did you also get a second interview with the dean?

So has anyone heard anything about anything

I'm about to graduate from WVSOM. The major problem I have with WVSOM, and probably most medical schools is the cost of out-of-state tuition. You cannot become resident of WV when you are a student. You are forced to pay this ridiculous tuition the entire time. I question, everyday, why I should pay 45 grand or more a year when the only contact I have with WVSOM is through my SWC (state-wide-campus) administrators, during my clinical years (3 and 4), which is minimal. I don't believe the education I get is worth the expense. Sure, WVSOM is listed by US. NEWS at # 12 for primary care, however they fail to mention it is listed as #5 for medical schools that lead to the highest debt (http://www.usnews.com/education/bes.../14/10-medical-schools-that-lead-to-most-debt). This is a national trend as well with student debt recently surpassing credit card debt nation-wide. I'm upset about this, this is a high burden, and when I took the tour of WVSOM, they argue "well you're going to be a doctor so you can afford it." They also mentioned "no one has defaulted on their loans yet" That's an absurd argument and I should of taken it as a warning sign! You will be a slave to your debt for several years. This trend cannot continue, and I expect a large economic backlash in the future, similar to the 2008 recession. Same thing for medicine as a whole.

I should also mention that WVSOM was #8 for primary care when I first attended, and has fallen to 12. Looking at the match list in my class (2012), it's obvious that people aren't as interested in primary care as they used to be, when comparing present to past match lists. I have looked at them the past 4 years, and there are more specialties matched every year. WVSOM's mission is to increase rural physicians in primary care, they are doing the opposite with their high debt loads.This provides a higher incentive to pursue a specialty which guarantees a higher income. And usually that will require an out of state residency. I'm near furious about this situation. I should of seen it coming, but how can you truly know what you want to do in life until you actually are doing it for a sustained period of time? Shadowing a doctor doesn't give you the same understanding as being a doctor. I was initially naive but I am fully aware now.

Honestly, I love my class, and there are great people at WVSOM working for the students, on a beautiful campus, but this is overshadowed by the financial burdens that follow graduation. WVSOM may not be a for profit school, but they sure seem to behave that way, always erecting new buildings and installing these ridiculously expensive robots, that we hardly use, and barely get any sort of educational value out of. They use these as a key selling point for WVSOM. It's purely to entice new applicants. You may learn how to intubate, or run an ACLS code but you forget it all by the time you enter your rotations and have to re-certify anyways. I don't think WVSOM prepares you too well for your 3rd and 4th year rotations. I think the students prepare themselves adequately, and nearly autonomously. With the mandatory stay in WV for your 3rd year requirements, it hurts your chances of establishing your candidacy for residency at your hospital of choice, which likely wont be in West Virginia, due to lack of residency programs in the state.

I think WVSOM is only reasonable for students who are already WV residents, would like to stay close to home, but are without a doubt, 100% sure they want to pursue primary care in West Virginia. This is somewhat paradoxical as you cannot be 100% sure until you are out there doing rotations, experiencing the job itself. Most of us have no idea what specialty we want to pursue when we go into medical school. We figure that out in our 3rd, and often 4th year. Honestly I think a lot of us chose WVSOM because we didn't get accepted elsewhere, or because the facilities are nice. I was accepted to a few other schools LECOM, TEMPLE in PA, I should of stayed there, but I was enticed by the facilities and was initially pursuing a Navy scholarship ( I did 4 years prior). The facilities are nice but this really only matters in the short, short term. My advice to prospective students is take WVSOM's mission very seriously, as they reduce your chances of going anywhere else but WV. Retake the MCAT, get a better score, go to someplace you'd like to end up in life. Feel like you have to go somewhere THIS year? take the year off, get a job, do some research, or something to boost your application, devote a solid 2 months to the MCAT, doing practice questions and go somewhere else. You've got plenty of time. WVSOM will typically accept a lower MCAT, but don't use this to get your foot in the door to becoming a doctor, sure that will work, but it will be much easier if you just retake the MCAT, and wait it out. Unless you want to stay in WV, and do primary care, as their mission states. Dont make the same mistake I did! Many of us thought, "well we'll get the degree and go somewhere else afterwards," This works, and many many of us did just that, but it's more difficult when you're forced to stay in WV your entire 3rd year (minus your few electives) I mean all of this from my heart, and I hope it helps. If you're already going there, you'll be fine, but if you're a prospective student, think carefully.

Seems like most educational institutions just take advantage of people's hopes and dreams to make a dollar these days. This kind of crap is only driving up the cost of healthcare.

I'm about to graduate from WVSOM. The major problem I have with WVSOM, and probably most medical schools is the cost of out-of-state tuition. You cannot become resident of WV when you are a student. You are forced to pay this ridiculous tuition the entire time. I question, everyday, why I should pay 45 grand or more a year when the only contact I have with WVSOM is through my SWC (state-wide-campus) administrators, during my clinical years (3 and 4), which is minimal. I don't believe the education I get is worth the expense. Sure, WVSOM is listed by US. NEWS at # 12 for primary care, however they fail to mention it is listed as #5 for medical schools that lead to the highest debt (http://www.usnews.com/education/bes.../14/10-medical-schools-that-lead-to-most-debt). This is a national trend as well with student debt recently surpassing credit card debt nation-wide. I'm upset about this, this is a high burden, and when I took the tour of WVSOM, they argue "well you're going to be a doctor so you can afford it." They also mentioned "no one has defaulted on their loans yet" That's an absurd argument and I should of taken it as a warning sign! You will be a slave to your debt for several years. This trend cannot continue, and I expect a large economic backlash in the future, similar to the 2008 recession. Same thing for medicine as a whole.

I should also mention that WVSOM was #8 for primary care when I first attended, and has fallen to 12. Looking at the match list in my class (2012), it's obvious that people aren't as interested in primary care as they used to be, when comparing present to past match lists. I have looked at them the past 4 years, and there are more specialties matched every year. WVSOM's mission is to increase rural physicians in primary care, they are doing the opposite with their high debt loads.This provides a higher incentive to pursue a specialty which guarantees a higher income. And usually that will require an out of state residency. I'm near furious about this situation. I should of seen it coming, but how can you truly know what you want to do in life until you actually are doing it for a sustained period of time? Shadowing a doctor doesn't give you the same understanding as being a doctor. I was initially naive but I am fully aware now.

Honestly, I love my class, and there are great people at WVSOM working for the students, on a beautiful campus, but this is overshadowed by the financial burdens that follow graduation. WVSOM may not be a for profit school, but they sure seem to behave that way, always erecting new buildings and installing these ridiculously expensive robots, that we hardly use, and barely get any sort of educational value out of. They use these as a key selling point for WVSOM. It's purely to entice new applicants. You may learn how to intubate, or run an ACLS code but you forget it all by the time you enter your rotations and have to re-certify anyways. I don't think WVSOM prepares you too well for your 3rd and 4th year rotations. I think the students prepare themselves adequately, and nearly autonomously. With the mandatory stay in WV for your 3rd year requirements, it hurts your chances of establishing your candidacy for residency at your hospital of choice, which likely wont be in West Virginia, due to lack of residency programs in the state.

I think WVSOM is only reasonable for students who are already WV residents, would like to stay close to home, but are without a doubt, 100% sure they want to pursue primary care in West Virginia. This is somewhat paradoxical as you cannot be 100% sure until you are out there doing rotations, experiencing the job itself. Most of us have no idea what specialty we want to pursue when we go into medical school. We figure that out in our 3rd, and often 4th year. Honestly I think a lot of us chose WVSOM because we didn't get accepted elsewhere, or because the facilities are nice. I was accepted to a few other schools LECOM, TEMPLE in PA, I should of stayed there, but I was enticed by the facilities and was initially pursuing a Navy scholarship ( I did 4 years prior). The facilities are nice but this really only matters in the short, short term. My advice to prospective students is take WVSOM's mission very seriously, as they reduce your chances of going anywhere else but WV. Retake the MCAT, get a better score, go to someplace you'd like to end up in life. Feel like you have to go somewhere THIS year? take the year off, get a job, do some research, or something to boost your application, devote a solid 2 months to the MCAT, doing practice questions and go somewhere else. You've got plenty of time. WVSOM will typically accept a lower MCAT, but don't use this to get your foot in the door to becoming a doctor, sure that will work, but it will be much easier if you just retake the MCAT, and wait it out. Unless you want to stay in WV, and do primary care, as their mission states. Dont make the same mistake I did! Many of us thought, "well we'll get the degree and go somewhere else afterwards," This works, and many many of us did just that, but it's more difficult when you're forced to stay in WV your entire 3rd year (minus your few electives) I mean all of this from my heart, and I hope it helps. If you're already going there, you'll be fine, but if you're a prospective student, think carefully.

Seems like most educational institutions just take advantage of people's hopes and dreams to make a dollar these days. This kind of crap is only driving up the cost of healthcare.

Wow. I hope everything works out for you. Thanks for posting since I was wondering about this issue myself.

Of course these schools are money making machines. Why do you think the class size is larger than the 2 allopathic schools put together. And give me a break Pikeville Ky is having over a 500 students a year in a town of 6000. Compare this to the University of Kentucky with total 400 students 2 attached hospitals. Think about it

I talked to Annette today. She said there has still been no movement which is normal. She said there starts to be movement around the middle of April and the most withdrawls come in late June and July. She said the average is about 35 seats opening up per year. Currently there are almost exactly 200 people who have seats and no more. This means that if someone withdraws, seats will open up for the alternate listers. I thought this was good news despite the increasing numers on the alternate list. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fullnelsondnb
I'm about to graduate from WVSOM. The major problem I have with WVSOM, and probably most medical schools is the cost of out-of-state tuition. You cannot become resident of WV when you are a student. You are forced to pay this ridiculous tuition the entire time. I question, everyday, why I should pay 45 grand or more a year when the only contact I have with WVSOM is through my SWC (state-wide-campus) administrators, during my clinical years (3 and 4), which is minimal. I don't believe the education I get is worth the expense. Sure, WVSOM is listed by US. NEWS at # 12 for primary care, however they fail to mention it is listed as #5 for medical schools that lead to the highest debt (http://www.usnews.com/education/best...d-to-most-debt). This is a national trend as well with student debt recently surpassing credit card debt nation-wide. I'm upset about this, this is a high burden, and when I took the tour of WVSOM, they argue "well you're going to be a doctor so you can afford it." They also mentioned "no one has defaulted on their loans yet" That's an absurd argument and I should of taken it as a warning sign! You will be a slave to your debt for several years. This trend cannot continue, and I expect a large economic backlash in the future, similar to the 2008 recession. Same thing for medicine as a whole.

@fullneslondnb,

I appreciate your honesty. I also know, however, that there are programs that help you pay off school debt. For example: Armed services (all branches)prgrams , rural communities with whom one may commit x number of years in return for paying off debt, global medical organizations, the work-study (I am not exactly sure what it is called) at WVSOM. There are a number of options for those who are really desparate for paying off loans quickly. I will definitely be one of those. I do agree, however, that the tuition is murder for those out of state. It is ridiculous that one may not even establish residency over the course of the program. Thanks for your thoughts.

I talked to Annette today. She said there has still been no movement which is normal. She said there starts to be movement aroudn the middle of April and the most withdawals come in late June and July. She said the average is about 35 seats opening up per year. Currently there are almost exactly 200 people who have seats and no more. This means that if someone withdraws, seats will open up for the alternate listers. I thought this was good news despite the increasing numers on the alternate list. Good luck everyone!
So are they still adding to the alternate list or has it finally closed?

So are they still adding to the alternate list or has it finally closed?
Probably. But you should call and talk to Annette. She would be able to tell you for sure.

Probably. But you should call and talk to Annette. She would be able to tell you for sure.

Latest fro admissions. Altenates are in line for notification as movement occurs between now and 1st of August. No idea on number of possible turnovers. Defered are still on hold but will probably be cut late spring no further interviews expected so alternate list should not grow from current size

Just got an email reply from Annette this morning. She said there is still no movement. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

What is the final number for alternate list, does anybody know?

I got an email from Angie this morning saying if I was interested in August 2013 to respond to the email by April 30th.I'm guessing this was sent to everyone on the alternate list and am taking it as a good sign that I guess this means they will roll over at least some of the class.

I got an email from Angie this morning saying if I was interested in August 2013 to respond to the email by April 30th.I'm guessing this was sent to everyone on the alternate list and am taking it as a good sign that I guess this means they will roll over at least some of the class.

Got the same email :)

Anyone know when the deposit would be due for 2013 entrance? It's a lot of money.....

I got the email too. It didn't sound like 2013 admittance was garunteed yet. But I was pleased to hear something, anything!

I got the email too. Almost had a heart attack for a moment there!

I got the same email. Not sure if I should be excited or not. It does not sound like a guarantee. They sure keep us on top of our toes ;-)

did you receive the same email or different

I can't find out how many got automatic acceptance (for the following year) from last year's thread... Anyone know?

Got the same email and replied I was interested and Angie said...

Thank you so much for the response. Keep in mind, if the Admissions Committee votes to offer this automatic acceptance, there would be no need to reapply. I'm pleased to learn of your interest and will contact you immediately once a final decision has been made (hopefully in the next few weeks) or if there is any change in your application status!

I'm a current student at WVSOM and was talking with one of the faculty who is on the admissions committee as to what exactly is going on. In my class (2014) they planned on 200 students and ended up with 214, as fewer students dropped off than expected. In this year's class (2015), they ended up with I think 223. For my class they were able to make modifications to the classroom to accomodate all of us. This past year, they had to use an overflow classroom and make it first come/first serve for the main classroom (until the home based learners established themselves). So they have been a bit more cautious in extending admissions this year. There will be SOME dropout, and some students admitted, probably up to the max classroom capacity (my own guess), which is about 215. Having a later interview definately puts you at a disadvantage due to the class being filled earlier with rolling admissions, so some excellent, even superior candidates, get waitlisted. This is, as I understand it, why they are talking about rolling over admission to the following year (a suggestion of this faculty member). Best of luck you guys!

Regarding the economic cost - yes, it's excessive. But I am very pleased with the school. I also feel very well-prepared for 3rd and 4th year as there have been some revisions since the previous poster mentioned not feeling well -prepared. Of course, I'm not out there yet.

Have an economic plan. Mine is NHSC Loan Repayment.

I talked with Angie today and there are currently about 55-65 people on the alternate list. The admissions committee (on average) makes their decision for automatic matriculation around May 1st (when AACOMAS opens). Last year, everyone on the alternate list was offered an acceptance for the next year.