WVSOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted, turned in my deposit today. I have a couple of friends in WVSOM and it seems like a great school. I was actually informed that 1 of their M2 Students passed away yesterday and an another one is in critical care after a major accident. Condolences to the families and friends of these students and I hope everyone is doing well there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted, turned in my deposit today. I have a couple of friends in WVSOM and it seems like a great school. I was actually informed that 1 of their M2 Students passed away yesterday and an another one is in critical care after a major accident. Condolences to the families and friends of these students and I hope everyone is doing well there.

Even though it was a very hard time for us, the thing I love about this school is the sense of community. Students came together, found solace in each other and have coped very well. In fact, students and faculty raised around $5,000 for the student in the car accident to help his family pay for his medical bills. We did earned that money in ONE WEEK. This school will really treat you all like family. Those of you that decide to come here are very blessed.

Hey everyone, just a few questions:

1. I'm currently "pending" and was wondering usually how before it goes to deferred or you're offered a secondary/interview?

2. Should I go ahead and send my LOR's? If so, can I send them electronically to someone specifically? I think they may help my case.

Accepted!!!!!! Waiting to hear back from my other #1 school before I make a decision.

Hey everyone, just a few questions:

1. I'm currently "pending" and was wondering usually how before it goes to deferred or you're offered a secondary/interview?

2. Should I go ahead and send my LOR's? If so, can I send them electronically to someone specifically? I think they may help my case.

Depends. If they have your mcat scores and they find that you are qualified, you could switch over in days. If your mcat scores aren't in your file, it will take at least a month for them to even look at your application. It is truly hard to figure out when exactly they will send you an interview.

You could send your LORs in now or you could wait until they offer you an interview. I don't think they look at LORs before the interview (only two of mine were in at the time of my interview and they still accepted me). You should call the office and ask them about what you should do. That will show that you are truly interested in this school and it will ease your nerves.

If your mcat scores aren't in your file, it will take at least a month for them to even look at your application.

Hi! Question about your statement above.

Just to confirm, once we request our MCAT scores to be released to AACOMAS, then the school should have access to it. If so, then why would it take another month...? Any advice on how to expedite the process of updating the school with new MCAT scores? Would it help to call or fax over the scores once they are officially released?

Thanks in advance!

I read somewhere the school doesnt take LOI. Whats the best way to show/demonstrate complete dedication/interest to this school? This is my top choice and Id kill for a chance to attend this school.

I read somewhere the school doesnt take LOI. Whats the best way to show/demonstrate complete dedication/interest to this school? This is my top choice and Id kill for a chance to attend this school.

Are you still at decision pending or decision deferred? Regardless I don't think there's any other way to show interest other than possibly send Angela an email. It took about a 3 weeks to change my status from decision pending.

I heard by some that those who get decision deferred may or may not even have their files looked at anymore, but that's probably just rumor.

i am at a decision pending...I hope the decision deferred part isnt true !!! scares me...

See you tomorrow!

So nervous and excited.
Something feels right about the school!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still decision deferred/waiting for mcat score....which came 3 weeks ago....did they just toss my application to the side???

I really hope they look at my application again:/ and my status changes soon

I'm still decision deferred/waiting for mcat score....which came 3 weeks ago....did they just toss my application to the side???

I really hope they look at my application again:/ and my status changes soon

Im in the same boat. I suffer from obsessive login. sigh *fingers crossed*

I'm just sitting at "Decision pending"...is this good that I wasn't switched to "decision deferred" yet?! I so badly want an interview here. All my info is in, I sent my LOR's just in the case they'd look at them. This wait is killing me!!

Does anybody know what the chances are if we got an interview opportunity early? Like usually the ratio of individuals who are granted an acceptance, since interviews began in middle september. Thanks guys

WVSOM gets over 3000 applications a year. They interview around 500-600. They accept roughly 350 of those, and of those 350, roughly 200 matriculate. There are no "fixed number of spots". If you get an interview, your chances are better than 50/50.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
I do know that admissions favors the early applicant but not exactly sure in terms of interview. Its been a week exactly since I got my login, but feels like a month. The wait is killing me.

Has anyone heard of post interview rejections at this school? Or if placed on alternate list, how much it moves?

Last edited:
I personally know two in-state applicants that were rejected post-interview last year. In one case, the applicant felt the rejection was interview driven (3.1 sGPA, 26 MCAT) and in the second case, the applicant mentioned to me that he was told that had he applied earlier in the cycle when the class was not nearly full (he interviewed in March), he would likely have been accepted (3.8 sGPA, 20 MCAT).

This is the most recent breakdown of applied-interviewed-accepted-matriculated data that I was able to find, from the Fall 2008-Spring 2009 admission cycle:

In-state: 164 applied, 102 interviewed, 78 were accepted, 63 enrolled
Out-of-state: 2715 applied, 487 interviewed, 442 were accepted, 141 enrolled

Hi! Question about your statement above.

Just to confirm, once we request our MCAT scores to be released to AACOMAS, then the school should have access to it. If so, then why would it take another month...? Any advice on how to expedite the process of updating the school with new MCAT scores? Would it help to call or fax over the scores once they are officially released?

Thanks in advance!

Not quite. If you MCAT score is already uploaded onto AACOMAS, it will still take a few weeks for the school to make an interview decision. I believe the school has to receive the information, process it, and once your folder is complete, it's added to the stack of folders they need to sort through. So it will probably take at least three weeks until they reach your folder.

Hey guys!

I'm a first year at WVSOM and I just wanted to say if you have ANY questions about the school/area, feel free to drop a PM.

I know I had alot of questions and person or two from SDN helped me out so I figured I would return the favor.

Good Luck this round!

Thanks for replying, so would you say that getting an interview means that they really like you? Like what if you get an interview early versus later, so if you get an early interview, does it mean you have higher percentages of getting accepted? Any other advice.
Getting an interview means that they are definitely interested. Based on what information they've been given, they feel that you might be a fit for the school. I do not believe early interview improves your odds for acceptance, though logically later in the interview season there are fewer spots remaining. Head into the interview knowing statistically you have a better than 50% chance of being accepted, answer the interview questions as best you can, and be sociable.

I personally know two in-state applicants that were rejected post-interview last year. In one case, the applicant felt the rejection was interview driven (3.1 sGPA, 26 MCAT) and in the second case, the applicant mentioned to me that he was told that had he applied earlier in the cycle when the class was not nearly full (he interviewed in March), he would likely have been accepted (3.8 sGPA, 20 MCAT).
Not that I make admissions decisions, but I would think the gentleman from example #2 did not get accepted because of the low MCAT score.

Who else has an interview on Oct 4?? I'm gonna be driving there from Philly on Tuesday. I'm staying at the Fairfield Inn that's 2 minutes away from WVSOM. Who else is staying there?

Getting an interview means that they are definitely interested. Based on what information they've been given, they feel that you might be a fit for the school. I do not believe early interview improves your odds for acceptance, though logically later in the interview season there are fewer spots remaining. Head into the interview knowing statistically you have a better than 50% chance of being accepted, answer the interview questions as best you can, and be sociable.

Not that I make admissions decisions, but I would think the gentleman from example #2 did not get accepted because of the low MCAT score.

I agree with your logic, and in the case of the second applicant, I do think that the low MCAT score contributed, although, in fairness, I know of in-state applicants accepted with MCAT scores into the teens. I won't make a value-judgement about that either way, but, in general, the point that I would want to make is this: it's my impression that an early interview won't typically result in an applicant who otherwise would not have been admitted being accepted by virtue of their early interview, however, I do suspect that applicants who might otherwise have been interviewed and accepted earlier in the cycle might not receive interviews later for lack of interview space. Early versus late application seems less significant for those who make it over the hurdle and receive interviews since class space tends to open up again in February-April when those who are accepted earlier decline and applicants from the interviewed but not accepted pool begin to receive those offers.

My two-cents worth.

Interviewed this morning. The school's pretty damn great! Not so sure about the town around it.. very rural. But it's my #2 now! :)

Any Guys interviewing on the 17th and want to share a hotel room pm me!

Has anyone who interviewed on Sept. 28th heard back yet? I got the impression we were supposed to hear good or bad news on this past Tuesday but I haven't gotten a peep yet.

My status has been "decision deferred" since like late July because they were waiting on my new MCAT and it came in a month ago!!! I don't know why they didn't review my application again since last time I called, they said they have my new score...

My status has been "decision deferred" since like late July because they were waiting on my new MCAT and it came in a month ago!!! I don't know why they didn't review my application again since last time I called, they said they have my new score...

I'm in the same boat.
I was put on decision deferred since July until my new MCAT's came in Sept. 7th and have not been removed from that stauts. I called them a bunch of times and they said I should hear soon.
I'll keep you updated if I hear anything.

Has anyone who interviewed on Sept. 28th heard back yet? I got the impression we were supposed to hear good or bad news on this past Tuesday but I haven't gotten a peep yet.

Did you check your portal? The status page?

Yes my status page has been the same since late July...and I think the admissions people are getting annoyed by my weekly calls so I'm going to stop bothering them...and just wait.

my status page says "accept applicant" so am i in or what....I interviewed on sept 30th. an all men group of interviewees.

Hey folks,

I am a first year student at WVSOM. I can't express enough how great of a time I am having at the school which is primarily because it really is a fantastic institution.

I don't get on this often, so if anyone has any questions or just wants to chat about the school, admissions process, etc., feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will respond fairly quickly. Good luck!

I interviewed here last week and absolutely loved everything that the school has to offer. I did have a few doubts though, at lunch, the students told us that last year the COMLEX first time pass rate was 82%...that seems really low to me compared to the national average of 90%. Does anyone know where you can find average scores for schools?

For those of you currently getting invites, how long has it been since you received your login?

interviewing on halloween... costume or no costume?

interviewing on halloween... costume or no costume?

The professors have a costume contest on Halloween, so you will probably see them dressed up. The staff has their bake sale and children of staff/students will be trick-or-treating in the Administrative Building in the afternoon.

That said, I would advise against a costume for yourself. It might be fun, but I don't see it outweighing possible negatives to your interview.

i was joking! i would never haha

The professors have a costume contest on Halloween, so you will probably see them dressed up. The staff has their bake sale and children of staff/students will be trick-or-treating in the Administrative Building in the afternoon.

That said, I would advise against a costume for yourself. It might be fun, but I don't see it outweighing possible negatives to your interview.

Just got an interview invite for 11/16....SO EXCITED!!!! Anyone else going to be there for that interview date?

I just got an interview today for 11/18. Where is the best hotel to stay at? Should I rent a car or just go by cab? Anyone else interviewing on the 18th?

there are no cabs/taxis in Lewisburg. I suggest you rent a car.

What about Cosmic Cab which is listed in the interview invite email from the school? I plan on staying at a hotel in town that will pick me up and take me to the airport and using Cosmic cab service to get to and from the school. I am just checking because this was the information I was given.

Interview invite today for 10/24.

Anyone who has interviewd already, have any feedback?

What about Cosmic Cab which is listed in the interview invite email from the school? I plan on staying at a hotel in town that will pick me up and take me to the airport and using Cosmic cab service to get to and from the school. I am just checking because this was the information I was given.

While I don't have an experience personally with Cosmic Cab, I have met the owner/operator. You could call ahead of time and arrange transportation through them.

Interview invite today for 10/24.

Anyone who has interviewd already, have any feedback?

Very laid back. They ask basic questions about you: why do you want to be a DO, where do you see your self in 15 years, stuff like that. Check out: http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/school/wvsom/survey/27 for good interview info. I was really nervous walking into the interview room but within 30 secs I was relaxed. Took 30 minutes, 20 min them asking questions, 10 min me asking,