About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.
  2. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

WVSOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Discussion in 'Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by ShyRem, Apr 24, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. retro

retro

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey Kate, thanks a lot. I'll definitely give admission office a call this Monday to see what's going on.

In the meanwhile, does anyone else have "decision pending" post-interview besides me??
    Or has everyone else been accepted except me...:eek:
  2. GlimmerGlass

GlimmerGlass

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    For those already accepted, how long after your status changed online did it take you to get info in the mail such as when deposits are due and other details? Thanks!!
  3. bluezoom21

bluezoom21

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

I got my letter on Friday after my status changed but I live in Utah so it takes a little longer for it to come across the country.
  4. MJchi87

MJchi87

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Anyone who interviewed last week (week of 10/25) receive acceptances today?
  5. GlimmerGlass

GlimmerGlass

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The Friday the same week after your status changed? It has been over a week for me now and I only live on the East Coast. I guess if I don't receive anything by Friday then I'll give them a call to make sure they have the right address and what not.

Thanks!
  6. TXdoc73

TXdoc73

Pre-Medical
    Status change online today to "Accept Applicant" so I'm assuming I'm accepted. Interviewed 11/4, OOS, cGPA: 3.5, sGPA: 3.2, 28Q, MPH and MA candidate c/o 2012
  7. DocMan22

DocMan22 Human

Changed online on Tuesday, letter came in mail the next Monday (I live in WV)
  8. kram2012

kram2012

Medical Student
    How long does it take to receive an interview after receiving the initial e-mail with the ID and PIN numbers? My status still says "Decision Pending.":eyebrow:
  9. ry215

ry215

Pre-Medical
    Primary received 9/29,got interview invite today.What are chances of acceptance post interview? Can somebody share what the interview is like?
  10. GenusTide

GenusTide

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I believe that if they offer you an interview, your chances are 100% unless you do something in the interview that raises a question or contradicts what you put down on your primary or secondary. Since they only offer secondaries to students whom they plan on interviewing, I would bet they are pretty interested in what you potentially have to offer. Just my 2 cents:cool:
  11. TXdoc73

TXdoc73

Pre-Medical
    I was there 11/4 for an interview, and maybe some can confirm the following stats, but one of the admissions counselors told us the following: ~3500 applicants, ~400 interviewed, ~200 matriculate (not sure how many are accepted), but you have good chances of getting in if you interview.

My interview day experience: 4 of us were asked to arrive by 8 for the first round of interviews for the day. After a brief introduction by the admissions staff and a short video about OPM interviews began. Interviews were scheduled every half hour, though no one in our group went over 20 minutes it seemed. It is a panel interview with a DO, Ph.D., and admissions counselor. The interview is very relaxed, and each panel member takes turns asking questions. The DO asks a lot of questions about why you want to pursue osteopathic medicine, your explanation of osteo med, your exposure to osteo med, etc. After we finished interviews the afternoon group arrived around 10:30 and we all went on a tour with one of the admissions counselors. You see the entire campus including anatomy lab (very impressive), OPM lab, book store, library, lecture halls, clinical simulation center. Lunch with 3 students is in the alumni center, wraps and chips. After lunch, you go back to the admissions center, and then over to the media office to take your picture for your student ID so you have it immediately if you get accepted. After pictures, there's closing comments by the admissions counselor you have been with all day, and then the morning interview group leaves and the afternoon group has their interviews with 3 different panel members. Morning group leaves around 2pm and afternoon group starts interviews around 2pm.

Thoughts: Facilities were incredible. The anatomy lab was great, 5 students to a cadaver and they do the dissection. MS1's and MS2's have their own lecture hall where they take all their lecture-based classes. Students have an assigned seat where they can keep personal effects (snacks, school supplies, a picture of the beach, etc.). Students get their own personal laptop with all the necessary software for classes that they get to keep after graduation (Lenovo is the brand I think). Everyone was incredibly friendly. They really portray a family/community atmosphere. The students we had lunch with were great and answered every question. It was a great interview day overall. The admissions committee meets every Tuesday to make decisions so the decision turnaround is pretty quick.
  12. ry215

ry215

Pre-Medical
    Thanks so much for all the responses.
  13. Cmed12

Cmed12

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Interview invite for 1/23. Isn't this date really far off? Should I be concerned?
  14. honeyoats

honeyoats

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Congratulations on getting accepted to WVSOM! I noticed you were accepted at Marshall as well. I was wondering what Marshall said about the status of their medical school? Did they tell you about the security of their program? I am curious because I have a friend interviewing there and she is anxious about the program.
  15. kram2012

kram2012

Medical Student
    Out of curiosity, when did the school receive your primary? And no I don't think you should be concerned. An admissions counselor told me they conduct interviews as late as April.
  16. iramla

iramla Member

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Can any current students comment on whether or not they are pleased with the faculty? It sounds like there is a great relationship between students and the administration, but how are the professors? Also, is the histology course digital/computerized? Thanks to all.
  17. cl822

cl822

Pre-Medical
    I'm also interviewing on 1/23! Very excited. I'm not worried at all, since I've heard of many people interviewing up to around March or April. I'm coming from California, and it seems like plane tickets to all the surrounding airports are pretty expensive. What is the best airport to fly into?
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  18. TXdoc73

TXdoc73

Pre-Medical
    Congrats on the interview. There is Greenbrier airport that has service on Delta and Continental only. I flew from Boston, layover at New York JFK, to Lewisberg on Delta ~$320, rented a car (I'm over 25y/o substantially more expensive if you are younger) from enterprise for a day ~$40, and stayed at quality inn ~$65...an expensive endeavor none the less. A girl in my group flew in from San Francisco and stayed an extra night to get a cheaper flight out. FYI: there is only 1 taxi cab in Lewisberg so either reserve it soon or plan on getting a rental car. There is no shuttle service to the campus. Good luck!
  19. fri727

fri727

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I interviewed mid-October and was accepted a couple of weeks ago. Admissions and students all seem to think that they are in no real trouble. Cindy said that most of the things they had been cited for were actually in place, but had to be in place for at least a year to count. Most of the problems were things like diversity, mental health counselor that didn't also evaluate students, etc. Nothing really about their curriculum. Personally, I'm not worried. :)
  20. Cmed12

Cmed12

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Congrats on the invite cl822! I"m in Baltimore, so I think I may actually drive.
  21. Cmed12

Cmed12

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I submitted my primary in late September.
  22. dexs

dexs

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm a first year so I have limited exposure, but so far the faculty have been amazing! They are extremely available to help outside of class. Several professors have met with me on the weekend on short notice to help answer questions one on one. And whether you like it or not they are very involved in other ways outside of the classroom, learning societies, clubs, even the community. I don't think I've ever had a request for an appointment denied.

The Anatomy faculty are fairly young (compared to many institutions) which I was a little skeptical about at first, however I've actually really enjoyed it because they are excited to be teaching and very high energy in lab which makes it a lot of fun (well as much fun as you can have while you're trying to memorize every aspect of the upper limb in 24 hours). There is a little bit of a "hazing" environment when it comes to Anatomy, but its very mild.

As for OMT, the professors are extremely knowledgeable and available. Though they do have a slight chip on their shoulder regarding everyone skiping their classes (since they are always at 8am the morning before a huge anatomy exam) and not taking the OPP tests as seriously, but if you really want to learn OMT they will go above and beyond to help.

Hope this answers some questions...
  23. kram2012

kram2012

Medical Student
    Thanks! This helps me approximate my timeline!
  24. kram2012

kram2012

Medical Student
    Congrats on Marshall, Fri727! Had I not wanted to be an osteopath, I would have applied there, but I think you know this already. ;)
  25. DarthVader

DarthVader

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What form can you send the secondary fee? personal check, cashiers check, cash (...not), ???.
  26. DocMan22

DocMan22 Human

This is about Marshall, not WVSOM. I looked into this quite a bit. Academically, it is a solid program. They have a good reputation among residencies in the region and this shouldn't change that. There were about ~10 issues revolving around the probation, the only one I was concerned about was some students felt there was not enough patient volume in the clinical rotations for the number of students in the program. Talking to current and former students they said it would be nice to have one more hospital to rotate at but they had no problems.

Other issues revolved around lack of diversity, scholarships, counseling opportunities, ect. The probation could ding the reputation amoung residecies a little but since it did not revolved around academic issues I'm not concerned.

In general, I was concerned about the probation at first but now its a non-issue.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  27. TXdoc73

TXdoc73

Pre-Medical
    I sent in a personal check with no problems.
  28. TXdoc73

TXdoc73

Pre-Medical
    Also for anyone interested on timing of interview, acceptance, etc:

Interview: Friday 11/4
    Accepted via online status change (reads "accept applicant): Tuesday 11/8
    Acceptance Letter: 11/12 (I live in MA)

committee meets on Tuesdays
  29. Luvdr

Luvdr

Medical Student
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  30. TXdoc73

TXdoc73

Pre-Medical
    good luck! be relaxed and wear comfortable shoes, lots of walking on the tour
  31. fngerscrossed

fngerscrossed

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    ACCEPTED!! interviewed 11/07
  32. iramla

iramla Member

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Accepted! Interview 11/9!
  33. cl822

cl822

Pre-Medical
    Congrats to you too! You are so very lucky. I can't get too much further from West Virginia than California...needless to say, that distance of traveling is wiping out my bank account!!
  34. Bird Lady

Bird Lady

Medical Student
    Interview invite for 1/27! :)

For anyone who is curious, they received my primary on October 7th, and when I called yesterday they said they were 4-5 weeks behind.
  35. Luvdr

Luvdr

Medical Student
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  36. GenusTide

GenusTide

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Congrats By the way....... :)
    :( looks like its going to be a bit of a wait for me. oh well, what I get for waiting until that last minute. Sigh........
    Bird Lady, were you IS or OOS?
  37. kram2012

kram2012

Medical Student
    Bird Lady, when did you receive your interview invite?
  38. honeyoats

honeyoats

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I am a second year and I will confirm that the professors here are exceptionally awesome. They love teaching and keep their doors open. Most of the faculty live within the vicinity of the school and will come onto campus on the weekends to meet with you if you request it. A lot of the professors that teach here once taught at big institutions, but left because they wanted to be in a teaching facility, not a research facility.

Yes, histology is digital. You should also know that exams are computerized (to prepare you for boards!) and 99.9% of lectures are done with powerpoint. I hope you all are computer friendly!
  39. FuzzyMuzzy

FuzzyMuzzy

Medical Student
    Accepted here also. So out of curiosity, for the people who are accepted here and plan on going here, where is everyone from, so I know a little bit about my incoming class.

Chicago, IL
  40. Bird Lady

Bird Lady

Medical Student
    OOS

On November 16th, my online status changed sometime in the late afternoon and I got the email with the details.
  41. karimjreije

karimjreije

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Interviewed on 11/16, and got my acceptance today!!!! IM SO EXCITEDDDD:)
  42. SMR121988

SMR121988

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    decision made! Deposit goes in tomorrow!

See you all there! Do we have a facebook group yet?

SO EXCITED to meet you all and begin this journey with all of you!
  43. vulpinevictrix

vulpinevictrix

Interviewed 11/2, accepted 11/8. Super excited. Nice to know I'm not the only Chicagoan. When I interviewed we had about 5/9 people from Michigan.
  44. karimjreije

karimjreije

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Start up a facebook group for WVSOM class of 2016!
  45. Hershi

Hershi

SDN 5+ Year Member
    I attended the open house this past weekend. I absolutely love this school. Admissions said my mcat is a bit lower than what they look for but not to lose hope. Ahhhhhhhh im dying to interview here! Staying hopeful. Such an amazing school!
  46. GenusTide

GenusTide

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What was the range they said was "lower than usual"? you don't have to post yours but a +-1. Thanks
  47. sppatel

sppatel

Pre-Medical
    I have an interview at WVSOM on November 30th starting at 10am!! I'm super nervous since this is my first interview! Any tips?!
  48. karimjreije

karimjreije

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Its super chill. You'll be fine. Everyone is really really nice, and dont feel bad if the interview ends early, or if they dont ask you that many questions. My interview was over in like 20 minutes...and I thought that I bombed it. I found out that they accepted me the next day. Good luck!
  49. WaffleDoc

WaffleDoc Newbie

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Do NOT worry too much about this. I had a friend with a 21 (after a retake) get in, and she's now an MS-1. If the rest of your application is bangin, this isn't something you should stress too much about. :)
  50. slickDoc

slickDoc

I have an option to choose between NSU-COM and WVSOM...I am torn between both of the schools and I am wondering if anyone could help me out. Pros and cons of both schools would be awesome. I also want to know how WVSOM's curriculum works...is it systems based, etc Also, if anyone has any info on rotations sites that would help a great deal (I want to ultimately get a rotation spot/residency in NY/NJ). Thanks.