WVSOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have an option to choose between NSU-COM and WVSOM...I am torn between both of the schools and I am wondering if anyone could help me out. Pros and cons of both schools would be awesome. I also want to know how WVSOM's curriculum works...is it systems based, etc Also, if anyone has any info on rotations sites that would help a great deal (I want to ultimately get a rotation spot/residency in NY/NJ). Thanks.

At WVSOM, As far as rotation sites, you'll spend third year in WV. The state is devided into About 8 different regions, you'll stay in one region. 4th year u can go anywhere u want, u could spend the entire year in NJ if u want. This is how i understand it but their admissions office is very helpful, I would shoot them an email with all your questions.

Members don't see this ad.

I have an option to choose between NSU-COM and WVSOM...I am torn between both of the schools and I am wondering if anyone could help me out. Pros and cons of both schools would be awesome. I also want to know how WVSOM's curriculum works...is it systems based, etc Also, if anyone has any info on rotations sites that would help a great deal (I want to ultimately get a rotation spot/residency in NY/NJ). Thanks.

My spouse is a 2nd year student at WVSOM, and while I don't know anything about NSUCOM, I can say that she and I have been very happy with the decision to matriculate to WVSOM.

I could probably go on for quite a while about the pros of WVSOM; the facilities are nice, the administrators accessible, the instructors personable. There is much more, of course, but I'll just say it's difficult to imagine having gone somewhere else. I suppose the small-town, rural location could be called a con by some (we moved from Atlanta), but it's been peaceful and conducive to studying, and I don't feel that we've missed much "living" in the time we've been here.

WVSOM is currently undergoing a curriculum change that I believe starts next year. While I don't know the specifics, I've heard it will be systems/case study based. I would encourage you to contact WVSOM for more detail.

Rotation sites are as the above poster mentioned. There is also a tri-state 'site' for third year that takes you into Ohio and Michigan. Fourth year, you can do your rotations where you wish.

Hey guys! I'm new to all this and I had a quick question...I received the decision deferred status about a week ago and I was told that I was missing some items. I have since turned in all missing items and received an email from Annette stating that everything has been submitted. I was just wondering how long it takes for them to re-review the app? I'm sick of checking my status every 10 min :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Logistics and DocMan22! I will definitely try to find out about the new curriculum. Until then, if anyone already has any information on the new curriculum at WVSOM I would appreciate if you can comment on it.

Does anyone know if WVSOM has optional international rotation sites?

Anyone know the grading scheme (Pass/Fail OR High Honors, Honors, Pass, Fail)

Last edited:
Thank you Logistics and DocMan22! I will definitely try to find out about the new curriculum. Until then, if anyone already has any information on the new curriculum at WVSOM I would appreciate if you can comment on it.

Does anyone know if WVSOM has optional international rotation sites?

Anyone know the grading scheme (Pass/Fail OR High Honors, Honors, Pass, Fail)

I've not heard of anyone doing international. I did overhear last year someone else ask, and the response was that finding accredited places to rotate at overseas was difficult.

Grading is alpha numeric, 90(89.5%) and up being an A, anything below 70% is failing. Students are ranked according to GPA (some courses are worth more credit hours and therefor weighted more). Rankings are updated online (not after every course, but maybe 3-4 times a year) and are private (you see your rank in the class, but not anyone else's).

does anyone know about what jobs are available in the area for non-students?

does anyone know about what jobs are available in the area for non-students?

I assume you're referring to spouses/significant others. The Greenbrier Resort (less than 15 minutes from WVSOM) employs a lot of people in the area, and I know at least two spouses who work there in various capacities. Some people managed to keep their old jobs by working remotely, and quite a few are finishing education remotely. It really depends on your background. If you send me a PM I can give you a better idea of what to expect.

Dear all,

I am one of non-traditional applicants from Utah. Giving my stats, could your guys please comment on what's my chance will be for interview? I got lots of rejection, this is my last shot. Thanks so much in advance!

Total GPA 3.17/3.29
MCAT 22M

1 advanced degree
2 tons of research
3 volunteering > 150 hrs
4 shadowing 32 hrs
5 publications
6 good personal statement
7 pre-health committee letter & DO letter

Thanks again!

Dear all,

I am one of non-traditional applicants from Utah. Giving my stats, could your guys please comment on what's my chance will be for interview? I got lots of rejection, this is my last shot. Thanks so much in advance!

Total GPA 3.17/3.29
MCAT 22M

1 advanced degree
2 tons of research
3 volunteering > 150 hrs
4 shadowing 32 hrs
5 publications
6 good personal statement
7 pre-health committee letter & DO letter

Thanks again!

This should probably go in the what are my chances section but I could give you the the most striking problems. GPA is on the low side to really be competitive. I would say in order for you to really be looked at would be to knock the MCAT out of the water to show you really understand the basic sciences. By the looks of it, that didn't happen either. I am not sure of any school taking a 22 so maybe someone with a little more knowledge could correct me on this. Did you any troubles with the basic classes and the upper level classes of you professional degree bring you down? What I am basically trying to say is that you need to make up for the lower GPA by making your app really shine in all the other areas. I would suggest to take the time to ( possibly take a prep course) and study your butt off and retake the MCAT to get at minimum an upper 20's score. I am not sure what your stipulations are as a non-trad, but if you really want it, work your a... off and get it.

I have been "decision pending" since mid October... What does this mean? Should I call them and ask? I am assuming they are just backed up wtih applicants, but does this mean my application hasn't even been looked at?

Hi everyone,

I was accepted last week and sent my first deposit in yesterday. I was wondering if anyone else from Illinois is going to attend WVSOM. Also, is anyone looking for a room mate for next year?

I have been "decision pending" since mid October... What does this mean? Should I call them and ask? I am assuming they are just backed up wtih applicants, but does this mean my application hasn't even been looked at?

You're not alone. I'm still decision pending myself. They sent me my first email containing login info on Oct. 26. This process is truly testing my patience.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the accepted group doesn't mind, what are your stats? Just wondering what kind of chance I have at this school. Thanks!! :)

You should have gotten a letter soon after it changed. They do not call or send an email. your status changes and a letter is sent.

For those of you who mailed in your acceptance deposit, what address did you send it to? The letter does not specify this. Thanks!

For those of you who mailed in your acceptance deposit, what address did you send it to? The letter does not specify this. Thanks!

Admissions Office
WVSOM
400 North Lee Street
Lewisburg, WV 24901

Send certified or with delivery conformation, just in case ;)

Congratulations!!!

I guess I'll take the initiative and get the facebook group going. I need more than one person to start a group so can a couple people that got accepted send me a private message so I can find you and get this group going? It should be up in the next couple days and will be called WVSOM 2016. Also, I would join the other WVSOM groups so you can find housing from the current sophomores.

You're not alone. I'm still decision pending myself. They sent me my first email containing login info on Oct. 26. This process is truly testing my patience.
Me too. October 26th, they sent me my login information. Decision pending since then.
Show some love WVSOM. Please?
Oh and don't mind me. Long time lurker. Decided to finally join the discussion. Hello all.

I have an interview at WVSOM on November 30th starting at 10am!! I'm super nervous since this is my first interview! Any tips?!

ACCEPTED woohoo! the school is amazing and its clear that they do a significant amount for the students. The staff was great and very pleasant to speak too. I hope everyone else has a great exuberance too! The interview was very relaxed. They asked the typical questions, why med, why do, why wvsom. They asked if I knew about any of the culture in lewisburg, so that might be something to brush up on.

I had my interview AFTER the tour which I thought was great so I could ask questions that weren't already answered and so I can come up with new questions. At the same time, some of the questions they asked me during the interview were answered during the tour, so that was another benefit.
good luck everyone!!

ACCEPTED woohoo! the school is amazing and its clear that they do a significant amount for the students. The staff was great and very pleasant to speak too. I hope everyone else has a great exuberance too! The interview was very relaxed. They asked the typical questions, why med, why do, why wvsom. They asked if I knew about any of the culture in lewisburg, so that might be something to brush up on.

I had my interview AFTER the tour which I thought was great so I could ask questions that weren't already answered and so I can come up with new questions. At the same time, some of the questions they asked me during the interview were answered during the tour, so that was another benefit.
good luck everyone!!

Congratulations!!

hey guys i have my interview in january. im very interestted in this school. do you guys know how full the class is already?

hey guys i have my interview in january. im very interestted in this school. do you guys know how full the class is already?

Don't have any Official knowledge but I doubt it. Most schools try and leave spots open for winter interviews. Plus they will have been extending offers to people that are not accepted. Good luck!

Well I finally made a decision and chose WVSOM! Got the email that they received my deposit so its official. I am fairly confident I'll matriculate here but won't know for sure until after a February interview at another school. Looking forward to August :D

I was placed on Decision Deferred in July as they were waiting on my MCAT score, which came in October.... I wonder if they ever re-reviewed my file?

I was placed on Decision Deferred in July as they were waiting on my MCAT score, which came in October.... I wonder if they ever re-reviewed my file?

Would contact them about your status. They may not have received your new scores. I asked them about their policies on wait list during my interview. It sounded like they would make a decision as soon as they got your scores.

what kind of GPA are they looking for? I got denied by another school because my current science GPA (3.17) did not make the cut off (should be over 3.3 after this semester). I made a 26 on my MCAT. I was told they their competitive applicants have 25 or above MCAT scores.

I'm withdrawing my acceptance from this school, so good luck to everyone else! This is an amazing school!

what kind of GPA are they looking for? I got denied by another school because my current science GPA (3.17) did not make the cut off (should be over 3.3 after this semester). I made a 26 on my MCAT. I was told they their competitive applicants have 25 or above MCAT scores.

Couldn't find any minimum but this is on thier website:

"Each application is reviewed considering a variety of factors: While science GPA averages are at about 3.3 and total MCAT score averages between 24 and 25, the committee will also look for osteopathic awareness, clinical experience, review your personal statement and other areas of your application."

You're well with in range, I would assume anything over 3.00 is competitive. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Couldn't find any minimum but this is on thier website:

"Each application is reviewed considering a variety of factors: While science GPA averages are at about 3.3 and total MCAT score averages between 24 and 25, the committee will also look for osteopathic awareness, clinical experience, review your personal statement and other areas of your application."

You're well with in range, I would assume anything over 3.00 is competitive. Good Luck!
thank you so much for looking this up and posting. I just saw it on their website, as well. I just hope they don't deny me before I could submit my fall grades which I think will help out with my GPA greatly. With my fall grades, I should have a 3.3 sGPA and 3.5-3.6 cGPA. Fingers crossed!

I called and they said that as of now the class is FULL.

I was essentially told this as well. I couldnt believe it. They are potentially missing out on many qualified candidates. Is it normal for schools to be full this early!?

Strange, I wonder why then they would be scheduling interviews through February if they are already full? I hope this isn't the case, especially since I have an interview in January!

I did talk with an admissions counselor in October and he told me they had received 10% more applications this year than they did last year. But, not everyone who is accepted will matriculate. I seriously doubt they've closed shop for the year already.

Remember that the class being "full" includes people who have been accepted but have not had to turn in their deposit yet. Some of those people will not be attending but their seats will not open up until after the date their deposit is due passes.

The first deposit for people accepted before Nov. 15 is due Dec 14. People accepted After Nov. 15th don't have to turn in their deposit for 30 days.

There are also people who have put a deposit down but will not end up matriculating.

Relax... more seats will open up.

So 230 or so already paid their deposits and are potentially going there??

If so, why would they have interviews scheduled for Jan/Feb?!

I get some people pay the deposit to just secure the seat but I wouldn't think that many people would do that

So 230 or so already paid their deposits and are potentially going there??

If so, why would they have interviews scheduled for Jan/Feb?!

I get some people pay the deposit to just secure the seat but I wouldn't think that many people would do that

No but you may have many people who have been offered a seat that are not going to accept it but the school doesn't find out until after the date their deposit is due has past and they have not paid it.

One of my friends is a M2 and she went to admissions today and they told her, the class is not full and are interviewing through March

I got their decision pending email after they received my AACOMAS on Nov 16th, and the admissions lady said my chances are slim because im too late :( I am so scared... are they ahead of other schools in the process?

I e-mailed admissions last night, and they got back to me this morning saying that interviews are booked through January, and it may take a while to hear back.

Does this mean you can no longer get an interview? No. Does it hurt your chances getting a late (February / March) interview? From what I understand, yes. I believe that, if an applicants application is good enough, being late shouldn't be the difference between an acceptance and a rejection. I'm not sure if WVSOM- or any medical school- sees it this way, though.

Just declined my acceptance today, so there's at least one open seat