WVSOM vs. LMU-DCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've accepted to both LMU-DCOM and WVSOM. I am still deciding which one I should attend since both are nice and have own nice things. Can you guys give me some advices on these? I appreciate it.

TXDO

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I've accepted to both LMU-DCOM and WVSOM. I am still deciding which one I should attend since both are nice and have own nice things. Can you guys give me some advices on these? I appreciate it.

TXDO

what kind of advice are you looking for? I know there is a lot of information on DCOM in their specific discussion thread. also, check out that thread about LMU vs. VCOM, they bring up some good points as well. i don't know anything about WVSOM except that it is hella expensive.

Don't go to WVSOM if you don't live in the state of West Virginia. I'm not saying anthing about the school at all but the tutition is crazy

Members don't see this ad :)
Tuition of WVSOM would be enough to turn me off too...

I'm still confused why no one says the same about MSU-COM which is $60,000 for oos.

Hi guys,

TXDO

Tuition at WVSOM, like everyone else said, is ridiculous. As far as their education goes though its a great school. I am partial to DCOM myself and I couldn't imagine going anywhere else, but that's really a personal choice. As one person above mentioned look at each schools threads as they usually contain way more info on each school than you'll get here most likely. Also, if you're still not sure call and arrange another day on the campus. I don't know of any specific policies for DCOM, but if you explained to each administration your dilemma my guess is they'll work with you.

That being said, forget all the other schools and come to DCOM. Unless you're a tool in which case go elsewhere! Fair enough?? Haha....good luck!

I'm still confused why no one says the same about MSU-COM which is $60,000 for oos.

People do say it. All the time. I've never heard of an OOS person NOT say it.

Hi guys,

TXDO

I turned down WVSOM for LECOM-Erie based on tuition alone. I didn't want to end up w/ that much debt... if you add interests you'll owe close to half a million dollars when you've completely paid it off. Succeeding in medical school is based on your own determination not where you go to school. Keep in mind you're physically at the school for only 2 years. Good luck.

I loved (loved) WVSOM when I visited, and I'm OOS too. I could really see where the money is going - new bldg for clinical skills, top-of-the-line human patient simulators, amazing anatomy lab...etc....but yes, it's very expensive.

At the end of the day, if you're going to do internal medicine/OBGYN, then you can apply for the primary care loan (no interest until after your grace period of 1 yr, & rate is 5%). So this can help you deal with the huge debt you'll get from WVSOM. You can also do loan repayment through the health services...you'd be surprised how many areas are considered 'underserved' - go to their website to double check the areas. As long as you're practicing in some kind of medically needy community, they'll help you repay your loans.

If you're going to practice a specialty, then you will likely make enough money to sustain a good living AND pay your loans (like having 2 morgages). This doesn't sound ideal now, but it's very do-able.

Also, I think this decision depends on the kind of person you are. If you're the kind who obsesses abt a school and just can't get it out of your mind, then you should go with your gut abt where to attend (even if that's WV). You'll be most happy with your gut feeling at the end of the day.

On the other hand, if you someone who could be happy anywhere, and you're just kind of indesisive right now, then going with your gut might not be the best choice for you.

I also wanted to mention that $49K for tuition is very normal for most private M.D. schools (e.g. GWU, Georgetown, etc). If Georgetown accepted you, would you be complaining about the cost? If so, then go with the cheaper school. If not, then I'd say go with WVSOM. (WVSOM is not Georgetown, but your dream school is your dream school).

Hope that helps.

Hi guys,

TXDO

You also have to consider what specialty you are interested in. I think somewhere like 80% of WVSOM go into primary care so if you dont wanna do primary care I wouldnt even think about going there. I have only been at DCOM for a semester but I feel in no way pressured to go into primary care.

if you don't live in WV then you should without a doubt go to DCOM.

I loved (loved) WVSOM when I visited, and I'm OOS too. I could really see where the money is going - new bldg for clinical skills, top-of-the-line human patient simulators, amazing anatomy lab...etc....but yes, it's very expensive.

A lot of people interviewing are wowed by this stuff at every school. Its all good and great, but you are only spending 2 years there. You only spend a limited amount of time first year in the anatomy lab and maybe a couple of hours with human patient simulators, which most schools have anyway.

Could you do all that stuff you mentioned and live alright? Of course, but some people don't want to live somewhere rural. With the way things are in the economy, even a little bit of uncertainty can result in a lot of pain. Saving near 100k in loans equates to a very nice start for your retirement where you can allow the money to grow, it could be to help pay for your kid's college. It could be part of the down payment on a house. It could be a ton of stuff. I just don't think there is a significant enough difference in quality to warrant the extra money. LMU-DCOM is a very very nice campus with shiny new things too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it should also be taken into consideration that although it is a wonderful school with amazing technology and faculty, LMU-DCOM is not fully accredited, where WVSOM is over 30 years old, very established, and has an excellent reputation amongst DO schools.

The reason I chose WVSOM over DCOM is that WVSOM has a whole campus dedicated just to med students. The campus is spread out too, so you have to actually go outside if you want to go to lets say, the anatomy lab, or the library. At DCOM, everything was in one building, which was shared with nursing students, and PA students later this year. When you go to class, you will be in the same building for the whole day, without needing to go outside to get some much needed fresh air.

WVSOM also has a great reputation, and the community is well aware of the school and it's med students. I am sure DCOM is the same way, but it's a new school.

Tuition didn't matter much for me because I'm in the military, so majority of it is being paid for.

I agree with esk. WVSOM is fully accredited, well-established, and has been rated as a top 50 school in primary care, both MD and DO.

I wouldn't be hugely concerned with this, as DCOM has gotten extraordinary marks from the AOA's accrediting committee and will be fully accredited with the graduation of their first class.

We will actually accredited prior to us graduating so we graduate from a fully accredited program. But you're right.....its no big thing. We have surpassed the qualifications and, in fact, have been given special recognition for some of our marks.

Glad your first semester went well!!! Congrats!!!

All medical schools are expensive, I would advise against choosing a school based on how much it costs, even if it is $50k+ a year. It doesn't pay to spend even $1,000 a year on an education if you have any regrets about the program or location or whatever.

Bottom line is that you never see a starving doctor.

As a WVSOM first year, let me say I love it here. Your peers and teachers form are a very close knit community that work to make sure we all succeed together. The administration is much the same way. If you've been accepted you've met Annette. She's our shining example of what the school is like. It's not an act. It's that way pretty much throughout.

I'll give you the same general advice I've heard from every doctor I've ever met. Make cost your first priority.

There's also a loop-whole in the WVSOM tuition thing that is not well known. If you're married to a West Virginian you can receive in-state tuition.

I am also a student at WVSOM and I say as an OOS, not to worry too much about costs. The cost of living around here balances out the high tuition costs believe me.

Most importantly follow your gut and where you felt most comfortable with. It will make the biggest difference for when times get tough and very stressful.

What the heck is this business about WVSOM's graduates being pressured to go into primary care??? Although I wouldn't mind going into primary care, I would definitely like the opportunity to specialize if I decide to do so and not be at a disadvantage. I've heard so much about WVSOM's great faculty and facilities, but how many of its graduates actually get into competitive residencies???

What the heck is this business about WVSOM's graduates being pressured to go into primary care??? Although I wouldn't mind going into primary care, I would definitely like the opportunity to specialize if I decide to do so and not be at a disadvantage. I've heard so much about WVSOM's great faculty and facilities, but how many of its graduates actually get into competitive residencies???

Why do you say people are 'pressured' to go into pc? When I was there I talked to the students and they said more then half of them are specializing and not doing pc.

Why do you say people are 'pressured' to go into pc? When I was there I talked to the students and they said more then half of them are specializing and not doing pc.

That is a relief to hear. I was merely commenting on a previous post by someone else.

Brah if you want to go to a great DO school, go to LMU-DCOM.

I say LMU-DCOM.... but I don't think you will go wrong with either choice. I think it is more of personal preference. I am going to LMU in the fall. I got an interview invite at WVSOM, but I cancelled the interview after my acceptance. I loved everything about LMU-DCOM.... faculty, students, facilities. Consider yourself lucky to accepted to both of these good schools and good luck with your decision.

I say LMU-DCOM.... but I don't think you will go wrong with either choice. I think it is more of personal preference. I am going to LMU in the fall. I got an interview invite at WVSOM, but I cancelled the interview after my acceptance. I loved everything about LMU-DCOM.... faculty, students, facilities. Consider yourself lucky to accepted to both of these good schools and good luck with your decision.

Mad props to this. Sometimes some schools just click, and LMU was like that with me.

Mad props to this. Sometimes some schools just click, and LMU was like that with me.

I interviewed at both, and even though LMU is a great school, WVSOM seemed more of a setting for me. Personal preference plays a big role.

Anyone out there have any newer insight in this comparison? I am deciding which school to interview at because sadly I can't go to both.

Anyone out there have any newer insight in this comparison? I am deciding which school to interview at because sadly I can't go to both.

I had acceptances to both DCOM and WVSOM and ended up at DCOM. While I very likely would have been happy in West Virginia as well, coming to Tennessee (3 months in) has been a great choice. It really is a personal choice. PM me if you have any direct questions about the two schools and I'll try my best to answer them.

If I have a 3.65c/3.70s GPA, what MCAT range should I get in order to have a chance at WVSOM? :)